JMI Reports

2.6

J. Brian McKendry

Good Company

I have been working at JMI Reports

Pros

This is a Good Company

Cons

Not enough assigned work to survive

Field Supervisors

Current Employee - Inspector-commercial/Home/Worker Comp
    Current Employee - Inspector-commercial/Home/Worker Comp

I have been working at JMI Reports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their training is very good. The commercial dept. is very professional and quick to respond. Depending on your location, the work can be plentiful.

Cons

Some companies that JMI contracts for, are way below average in pay and take an enormous amount of time. If your FS has a beef with you, for whatever reason, they can give you the inspections no one else wants. This does not matter how long you have worked there, or how efficient and timely your work is. My FS was not only unresponsive to emails, this individual was extremely abusive. I had to stop receiving calls from this person for this reason, and this was unchecked, no matter how many times it was brought to the attention of the leadership. This person's communication bordered on illiteracy, followed with extreme anger when not understood.
       The other supervisors did not do this. I worked with two others on a regular basis and they never treated me any way but nice.

Standardize the fees. Leaving it up to FS is only allowing them to cheat people. You say it is standardized, but it is still left to the FS to "approve" when special circumstances occur.
    Leave a way for inspectors to check their FS when obvious violations are in play.
    I would not be leaving if these simple problems had have been solved.

Could be better

Current Employee - Insurance Inspector in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Insurance Inspector in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JMI Reports as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to schedule your work week. No one to look over your shoulder. You meet new people and see some very nice properties and learn about interesting businesses. Can be part time work for retired persons if they manage their workload.

Cons

Low pay for what you are asked to do. Some travel is required which is not paid for. Field managers are deceptive and will outright lie to you. QA will change your report or remove pictures you may feel are important (why are we going to inspect when you change our report or remove photos we submit for a reason?). Will not work for full time work unless you really devote 7 days a week to doing this.

Adjust fees upward. We know you make plenty of money just share a bit more. Pay for travel. The reason JMI Reports keeps losing people is mainly based on money concerns so take the hint. Trust your field people on their reporting.

No Volume or Honesty.

Former Employee - Property Inspector in Chicago, IL

I worked at JMI Reports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company office workers where polite and QA Team was very helpful. There Information on Property was a very helpful tool.

Cons

Management is not honest about how much volume is in your area, which states you can ask your Manager/Supervisor in their own classroom video. The Company holds completed Inspection orders with the QA Department until the due dates. The Company also changes Inspection Order results without notifying you, which in most cases the Insured does not get the Insurance. The Company Management Team refuses to answer phone calls resulting from asking about any way you can grow your business with them.

The Family ran business should be run by the Original Family member , he was old school and not corporate.

False promises, questionable leadership.

Former Employee - Property Inspector in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Property Inspector in Madison, WI

I worked at JMI Reports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture here is professional and the people that work here are polite.

Cons

There are numerous pitfalls with this company, while they say they pay every week, it depends entirely on the approval of their QA department and there are no standards set or timetables that are adhered to. So even if you have the work performed, have spent money to travel, you get paid whenever they want to pay. It is not a stable place to work.
    They make big promises.....and just do not deliver.

The owners seem to have forgotten that the field reps are what puts the money into play. This company has experienced recent explosive growth which presents problems and issues that the ownership does not have the experience to handle. There would appear to be cash flow issues judging by the way people are paid.

Couldn't Ask for a Better Career Experience

I have been working at JMI Reports (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with JMI Reports is a work at home experience. Therefore, there is trust from JMI Reports. And that is hard to find in a corporation in today's work force. As an Independent Contractor Inspector for JMI Reports, there is freedom to spend time with family, friends, one's self and not have to count the time off as a vacation day. There is a large support team in place to learn and grow from. Learning how the underwriting industry operates and how it applies to our lives, is knowledge every individual should have.

Cons

One needs good inner discipline, organization and a flexible schedule to manage this career path. Depending on whether you cover a rural or metro environment, the volume and/or report types may become overwhelming if not managed well. The typical benefits an employee gets are not present as an Independent Contractor but this is not the fault of JMI Reports.

Have all systems use Apple/Mac technology.

Property Inspector

Current Employee - Property Inspector
    Current Employee - Property Inspector

I have been working at JMI Reports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Balance of working in your home and working in the field. You don't have to wake up and rush to work to be there at a certain time and stay to a certain time. You don't have a boss to deal with or other employee drama to deal with.

Cons

Logging all the data from the field can be monotonous and boring (but that can happen with many aspects of other jobs). The pay is somewhat low for the amount of time put in, but not too bad.

The time and money I put into my work was not worth the money I made in return.

Former Employee - Property Inspector in Chicago, IL

I worked at JMI Reports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part the schedule is flexible as you can do inspections on any work day and some inspections are relatively easy to complete.

Cons

JMI does not compensate you for mileage or time you spend making phone calls for appointment based inspections. For every hour you spend in the field expect to spend 15-25 minutes in the office on the computer processing inspections.

Increase the pay per inspection. Do not keep changing field managers. Have only the field manager email/call the inspector instead of having multiple people contacting the inspector.

Relationships are very, very important. They are a wonderful company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Royalton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Royalton, OH

I have been working at JMI Reports

Pros

They treat their customers and employees like family.

Cons

Working from home has its downsides- can't leave teh office.