JPL Productions

Updated May 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Luke Kempski

Not the best places to work for 10 years!

Account Manager (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsA few of the employees are really talented and a joy with which to work.
    Good training ground for entry level employees.. giving them experience with which to move on to other companies.

ConsManagement is always attempting to create this atmosphere of "best places to work" but it is all hype! Salaries are low. Vacation time is not in line: I worked at JPL for ten years and only received two weeks.
    The CEO is difficult to work with. One day he compliments you at the staff meeting. The next day he considers letting you go. You never know where you stand with him. The rest of senior management...well if you are not part of the "in crowd", you don't get treated well. Despite their projected image, senior management does not like when you think outside of the box. They want you to do it their way, which can be unorganized. Some senior management have very little experience in the area they are working. If fact I was confused what some management did all day. They didn't seem to add value to any job.
    Too many staff meetings and other internal meetings. It seemed like 20%of my day was devoted to being in staff or departmental meetings, or preparing for the meetings. It is more important to put that energy towards client projects. We are always working to "make the building really cool". Which consumes too much creative energy from the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally open your mind to suggestions from employees. You say you open your mind to new ideas, but you really are stuck doing it the same old way.

Decaying small business on a downward spiral

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

Pros-Casual dress
    -You get most of the tools you need (ie. software, computer, office stuff)
    -Salad bar and lunch delivery
    -Culture - I heard it was way better before they added a corporate yawn to the leadership team
    -Some very talented people to work with
    -Hard workers

Cons-Culture - feels a little forced fun
    -Slackers - I don't know how a company so small can keep people who just clock in/out while others carry the burden...what does that guy do that sits at the end of the hall???
    -The strategy area talks about insights but really just copies what the client's competition is doing. I would avoid working in this area which includes writing and design
    -Clients don't stick around because JPL charges too much or doesn't offer any value (see point above) so there's a concentration in work with certain clients
    -Disorganized and chaotic, especially with scheduling and getting the work done
    -Vacation time...they only give you 16 days to use for sick time, vacation, and personal time off...after 5 years and even 10 years it doesn't grow. So in a sense, you lose benefits the longer you stay.
    -Flexible hours - they boost it as a perk but clients & projects make it impossible
    -Leadership does not like hearing criticisms so things don't improve, especially with salary or time off

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place breeds poor work life balance from the very top down. And if anyone from there disagrees they are part of the slacker group. JPL needs to look at the market closer when giving salaries otherwise the turnover will increase because there are other places to work. Lots of people complain about pay and time off and it falls on deaf ears and then they wonder why so many people are leaving.

Do NOT consider a contract position at JPL

(Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsIt seems that they treat employees well but don't try to work there as a contractor. It was a very nice environment with creative employees. It's very unfortunate that they make false promises to get quality contract employees that they have no intention of retaining for their full contract.

ConsJPL is known in the Harrisburg Area to be one of the worst to Contract Employees. They promise people full time positions for 6 months to a year or longer and then don't fulfill that promise. I've seen people with families leave their secure position at another company to work at JPL only to have their contract expired within a month with no explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementJPL should conduct business responsibly and treat contract employees with respect rather than expendable commodities. They're getting quite a negative reputation in the IT Staffing Community and respectable companies are reluctant to do business with them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JPL is overrated, inefficient, ineffective, and has some serious organizational defects

Web Dev Group Thoroughly Disappointed In JPL (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

Pros1 relaxed work from home options where job-appropriate
    2 relaxed dress-code
    3 company activities
    4 laid-back work environment in-general
    5. Free, good coffee
    6. crazy characters on staff

Cons1 incredibly inefficient and wasteful
    2 question the experience and competence of management and leadership (I do not think most of them would survive in business outside of JPL)
    3 collaborative communication within certain areas of the business are not effective or efficient
    4 they seem cash-poor based on allocation of resources in all departments
    5 crazy characters on staff

In summary, while this company likes to tout its "Best Places to Work in Central PA" awards, after being here for a brief time, I've concluded that it is way overrated; heavy on the fluff, light on the substance. I would never recommend a motivated, competent professional who cares about their business and business relationships to make a commitment here. When I first spoke with someone about JPL's supposed culture, they told me that there is more to a job than shorts and sandals; I now understand his passing remark.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to thrive, you need to seek-out more competent leadership and management/leadership that is dedicated to making your company succeed -- not just serve themselves. You also need to treat staff from all areas of your business with equal respect and try harder to foster productive communication and interaction between the groups (not just play-time). Frankly, I'm surprised you guys are still surviving this economy. I had such high expectations for the work environment and had disregarded warnings from others about the disorganization, but now I am convinced that the positive press was either hype, only certain sub-groups of the organization actually love working there, or that people there have never worked anywhere else so don't know any better.

You could go so much further if you could combine your approach to a work-environment with a leadership and staff that is dedicated to performance and improvement. I am so disappointed and depressed with JPL; it's really disheartening as I had such high-expectations.

Worked for JPL Productions? Contribute to the Community!