JR Simplot

Scott Simplot

Production

Production (Current Employee)
    Pocatello, ID

ProsGood company to work for.

ConsNot enough people or time to keep up on everything that needs done.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people to keep up with ever changing challenges.

Good company to work for.

Systems Service Technician (Current Employee)
    Caldwell, ID

ProsPay, opportunity to advance, focus on community and sustainability.

ConsCeiling on advancment, Many hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance from within. Understand the value of experience. Weigh experience against education rather than always siding with education. Harness drive and passion.

Family business with career longevity

Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Lathrop, CA

Proscareer longevity, will invest to further training, can move up quickly if motivated.

ConsLong hours, needs more accountability for those who never complete task.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am seeing a change continue to drive innovation and hold accountable those who are assigned important task.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it became a very hostile department

Accounting Tech II (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsJR Simplot is a good company,

ConsWorking in the accounts payable department for a very long time, new management and supervisors are very unprofessional letting the dept get out of control

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the hostility and get supervisors in there that understand the different personalities, and do not let favored employees get away with there drama

If you like to work at a place that lives 10 years behind the curve and makes slow decisions, come here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1) The one bright spot I see for Simplot is Garrett Lofto. At my time he is/was the President of the Agribusiness division. He is articulate, smart and has a vision. Unfortunately, he is so disconnected from his plant locations and working on his vision that he needs to cut some heads. Garrett needs to develop a pipeline for the younger educated employees or he will lose them all.
    2) Everyone is treated fairly and with respect.
    3) Strong safety culture.
    4) They will invest in training for you if you can prove the need.

Cons1) It takes a miracle for employees to get fired from here; hence, Garrett’s problem. If there is a stronger word for complacent, insert it as the Simplot motto.
    2) Family ran business = stupid decisions repeatedly.
    3) Terrible HR at corporate level. When I am explaining to them why they need a ROTH 401k to keep younger employees you have MAJOR issues.
    4) They created an environment 30 years ago where they promoted people based on who knows what. Now they are capping other employees because they do not meet the educational requirements. It's a two faced system that upsets a lot of great and loyal employees.
    5) Retention rate is high and they boast that, but, for younger employees under 30 its terrible!
    6) If your on the manufacturing side the locations are in the middle of nowhere. Unless you like to hunt and fish I would say promotion in Simplot is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGarrett needs to clean house in HR and in upper level manufcaturign mangement to get new ideas and blood in there.

Stable, focused company

Sanitation Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Othello, WA

ProsThe company has a strong foundation, has a clear strategy for competing and entering new markets.

ConsMany jobs are at plants and require shift work at some point in order to gain experience and move up. It can be difficult to break into the higher paying jobs, but this also shows that they are careful about who they move into upper management which in turn leads to a very strong senior management team. Poor communication skills and lack of leadership at the plant level are abundant and can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to find a way to "re-tool" the culture at the plant level. A greater focus on leadership development, although six sigma is taking us in the right direction.

Simplot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you fit in, you're golden. The benefits are awesome.

ConsSome departments much better than the others.

Good Job, I enjoy working here.

Analytical Lab Tech (Current Employee)
    Rock Springs, WY

ProsLow stress, when you leave work you don't take it home with you.

ConsPetty complaining from work associates.

Working at the JR Simplot Company for the past 10 years has been a very rewarding experience!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsA lot of opportunity with an intrepreneurial environment. Pay is competitive within the industry with strong bonus potential based on division performance. Employees are provided the opportunity to create success by taking reasonable, calculated risks.

ConsNothing really sticks out as a down side. Upper management is receptive to concerns and complaints are addressed with reasonable resolve. The Company has experienced strong rate of growth and continues to position itself strategically for continued future growth and strength in the markets it serves.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work on employee safety and career opportunity development!

Politics rules

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsLarge private company with family culture. Many employess have worked with the company their entire lives 30+ years.

ConsVery few options for internal movement. H.R. does not exist to help employee growth. Politics is more important than keeping good people. Jobs are posted but often pulled and not filled just to see who applies. Internal gossip is rampid.

Advice to Senior ManagementH.R. needs to open their eyes to all the politics and distrust, but at the same time H.R. is part of the distrust.

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JR Simplot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JR Simplot CEO Scott Simplot. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by JR Simplot employees.