JR Simplot Reviews

12 years No regrets!!!

Current Employee - Manager Outside US  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team of people to work with...you get diverse cross-functional opportunities to grow keeping in mind your interests and aptitude. I have seen HR person can jump into Plant Mgmt and vice versa plus much more. I was personally given immense opportunities by the company both in US and Internationally to grow and move around different business functions and locations. you need to PROVE your worth first before the honeytaps are opened up by decision makers. Compensation is average for the food industry but there is great deal of stability.

Cons

Diversity is sorely lacking in the Organization. No clearly defined career path for above-average performers and thats frustrating.
     Also too soft and liberal in tackling the competition.

Cumbersome systems that require lot of time and efforts to make changes happen. More flexibility & entrepreneurial spirit is required. Innovation needs to be formally recognized and rewarded at all levels of the Organization.Need more latitude in taking risks and fast decisions.Transparency in making decisions is also needed...lot of time there appears to be no logic behind some decisions being made. We need hard-nosed , ruthless negotitators and leaders to survive the competition especially outside the US.

Eventful

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for less than a year

Pros

great pay for entry level employment.

Cons

great working environment for everybody

Great experience, love to grow employees

Former Employee - Intern  in  Umatilla, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Umatilla, OR

I worked at JR Simplot as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work for, help you understand every question you may have.

Cons

Management can sometimes be unstructured, no sure who takes priority.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great people, company takes care of you

Current Employee - Office Coordinator  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for less than a year

Pros

job security, very good company to work for people are good well meaning people, very good benefits, pay is not the top but the benefits make it worth it

Cons

not really a chance to move up, alot of control issues , people who have worked for this company a long time dont want to share the knowledge maybe they feel somone younger may take thier jobs.

give the little ones a chance

Great learning experience

Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot for more than 3 years

Pros

Cutting edge multi-billion dollar privately owned family company in a small town. Worked with many people who later moved on to high value companies around the world.

Cons

Because it is a private owned family company most people are not familiar with the company that produces the food millions of people eat every day.

Do some commericals about the company. Think BASF commercials...we dont make things, we make the things that other people make things from...something like that.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Systems Service Technician  in  Caldwell, ID
    Current Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay, opportunity to advance, focus on community and sustainability.

Cons

Ceiling on advancment, Many hours

Advance from within. Understand the value of experience. Weigh experience against education rather than always siding with education. Harness drive and passion.

Working at the JR Simplot Company for the past 10 years has been a very rewarding experience!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A lot of opportunity with an intrepreneurial environment. Pay is competitive within the industry with strong bonus potential based on division performance. Employees are provided the opportunity to create success by taking reasonable, calculated risks.

Cons

Nothing really sticks out as a down side. Upper management is receptive to concerns and complaints are addressed with reasonable resolve. The Company has experienced strong rate of growth and continues to position itself strategically for continued future growth and strength in the markets it serves.

Keep up the great work on employee safety and career opportunity development!

Simplot

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician  in  Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Simplot offers a significant level of job security for strong contributors. Pay is competitive. Working conditions are acceptable. The people at Simplot are very friendly, and you are always made to feel welcome there.

Cons

The culture at Simplot does not seem to allow innovation, but innovation is expected by upper level management. It seems that there is a breakdown between corporate communicated standards, and what unit level management actually does. There is a definite barrier between hourly and salaried employees that seems to be somewhat influenced by the presence of the teamsters union. I was never a union employee, so I never could understand this separation. I do know that whenever I spoke up, I was basically told to sit down and shut up.

Upper management would be wise to somehow get a better picture of what actually goes on at the unit level. For example, audits are viewed as necessary check the box opportunities, and when the audit is over, everything goes back to as it was before. Standard Operating Procedures are nothing more than checklists that do little or nothing to prepare the worker to perform the work in a way that is consistent. Therefore the actual details that guide the performance of the task are learned through trial and error or tribal knowledge. If on the job training is used, there is no documentation of the actual OJT event. People get signed off on their job duties, many times not really knowing what they are doing or why they are doing it.

I worked for J R Simpot for 5 years

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor  in  Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved the job I had there.

Cons

They were good to woke for.

Kep employees happy

An excellent learning experience, nowhere to go

Former Employee - Associate Scientist  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive direct manager, good pay for the area, exciting and meaningful work

Cons

Mid-level management was continuously difficult to work with, limited opportunity for career growth despite corporate policies encouraging it. Problem employees were well entrenched and held power over other's careers in a very unprofessional way.

Watch your mid level managers more closely, give employees a safe avenue to report inappropriate behavior,

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!