JR Simplot Reviews

Politics rules

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot

Pros

Large private company with family culture. Many employess have worked with the company their entire lives 30+ years.

Cons

Very few options for internal movement. H.R. does not exist to help employee growth. Politics is more important than keeping good people. Jobs are posted but often pulled and not filled just to see who applies. Internal gossip is rampid.

H.R. needs to open their eyes to all the politics and distrust, but at the same time H.R. is part of the distrust.

Initial employment is fair, but promotions and raises are promised but not delivered.

Former Employee - Operations Support  in  Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Support in Lodi, CA

I worked at JR Simplot

Pros

Immediate holiday pay, medical after 30 days, sick leave and 2 weeks vacation per year to start.

Cons

any safety complaints will lead to retalitory action by management.

Live up to your responsibilities and promisses

Show how hard of a worker you are and not be lazy it will pay off

Current Employee - QA Team  in  Aberdeen, ID
    Current Employee - QA Team in Aberdeen, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot

Pros

I have only worked for J.R Simplot Food Group for a little over a year. In that time I have moved up to a Team Lead. The abilty to move up here is up to the person you will only get out of it what you put into it. The 12hr shifts working 3 days on and having 3 days off is the reasion I wanted to work for JR Simplot. I am happy that they do see how an employee works and will give that person a chance to move up

Cons

Some of the Cons to working at Simplot are not seeing people being held accountable for what they do. Managment not helping with Team Work or showing the respect for all employees equal. The biggest one is that Family is not able to work at the same place as a Team Lead or above. Lack of Team Work.

Hold people Accountable for what they do and do not do. Show the Employees that you care about what they do and reward the people who are doing good not only talk to them when the mess up. Work on Team Work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Probably the best place to work in Grand Forks, ND that pays well starting if you're applying for an operator position

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at JR Simplot

Pros

Good starting wage for an operator 12 or higher, depending on shifts
    Nice team leads and management

Cons

Seniority. Seems like you have to work at Simplot for 20 years to snag any job or a shift. YOu can get booted from any shift from someone who as worked longer there.
    HR is a mess
    Schedules are awful, they have 4, day, evening, nights and rotation

Fix the schedules up, hire part timers for weekends, get rid of the rotating shifts. Be flexible with schedules and quit the whole seniority thing. Performance should matter. Even sonorities don't make much compared to new hire. Find a way for people to get out of the Union.

Good infrastructure, lousy work environment.

Current Employee - Food Group Employee  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Food Group Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive for the area. The company is very proactive with respect to systems and technology, especially for the industry they are in.

Cons

Succession planning and career mapping are virtually non-existent. The company frequently hires at all levels from outside and rarely promotes from within. Politics run extremely deep and hinder the company from capitalizing on the systems and infrastructure that exists.

Promotion must come from within if the company wishes to start succeeding due to its talent and not to market-driven circumstances. Succession planning needs to actually be implemented, not just talked about.

Analytical Laboratory Technician

Current Employee - Analytical Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Analytical Lab Technician

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits: medical, dental, vacation. Good pay for the position relative to the same position in other companies. Hours are good.

Cons

Not much room for growing in the a laboratory or in the company unless you are willing to go back to school and get a graduate degree and even then I know some with an MBA that have been working in the same position for years.

Corporate HR needs to talk to the employees rather than believing what the local HR Manager is telling them.

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits
    Great Co-workers
    Family-owned company with family values

Cons

Lower than average wages when compared with other mining and manufacturing businesses in the same geographical area.
    Corporate upper management needs to communicate with the employees and take their complaints seriously rather than relying on only what the managers tell them.

Take employee complaints seriously and spend some time talking to the employees one-on-one. There are real concerns at the Rock Springs location ranging from safety violations to unethical and unfair employment practices. Your local managers are only telling you what they want you to hear.

Cut throat atmosphere

I worked at JR Simplot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are well above other employers in area.

Cons

Since announcing the closure of plants and consolidating to a new plant, the environment is dog eat dog. Only loyalty through the food group is to one self. It appears that management's terminating of employees is rewarded. The company disregards job experience for education. If you are not yes man, expect to have file being created to fire you.

Firing employees prior to plant shut downs require training employees for short duration. This is does not seem to be a very cost effective investment.

I've never been treated with such disrespect.

I worked at JR Simplot

Pros

It is a large company with good stability. I was drawn to Simplot for the change to move up the corporate ladder and start a life long career.

Cons

Management is inept. While some people are promoted from inside the company, skill sets are not examined before the promotion. I was unfortunately placed in a department of people who did not respect their manager or co-workers. The training I received was half-assed. Senior management let middle management do whatever they pleased without any oversight. This eventually led to me leaving the company. I would suggest strongly researching the position your applying for. Simplot is an EXTREMELY corporate environment down to the tiniest detail with managers who should probably not be managers running the daily operations.

Take a more active role in what middle management is doing. This would save time and money with training new employees. A lot of processes are redundant and an unneeded. Make sure the training is given in a thorough manner and not as if the trainer is in a race to finish.

Good Company

I worked at JR Simplot

Pros

Very stress free place to work. Good hours and when you want time off you get it. Flexible employer to work for.

Cons

Moving up is possible but the tend to hire from outside too often. Even if your in the same department, have good reviews, and good relationships with co workers they tend to look outside. Pay is low compared to similar companies.

Look at the employees you currently have. Often times they are more capable than the employees you are bringing in with no experience in the company.

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!