JR Simplot

JR Simplot Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

JR Simplot Chairman Scott Simplot

Scott Simplot

Initial employment is fair, but promotions and raises are promised but not delivered.

Operations Support (Former Employee) Lodi, CA

ProsImmediate holiday pay, medical after 30 days, sick leave and 2 weeks vacation per year to start.

Consany safety complaints will lead to retalitory action by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your responsibilities and promisses

Show how hard of a worker you are and not be lazy it will pay off

QA Team (Current Employee) Aberdeen, ID

ProsI have only worked for J.R Simplot Food Group for a little over a year. In that time I have moved up to a Team Lead. The abilty to move up here is up to the person you will only get out of it what you put into it. The 12hr shifts working 3 days on and having 3 days off is the reasion I wanted to work for JR Simplot. I am happy that they do see how an employee works and will give that person a chance to move up

ConsSome of the Cons to working at Simplot are not seeing people being held accountable for what they do. Managment not helping with Team Work or showing the respect for all employees equal. The biggest one is that Family is not able to work at the same place as a Team Lead or above. Lack of Team Work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people Accountable for what they do and do not do. Show the Employees that you care about what they do and reward the people who are doing good not only talk to them when the mess up. Work on Team Work

Probably the best place to work in Grand Forks, ND that pays well starting if you're applying for an operator position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grand Forks, ND

ProsGood starting wage for an operator 12 or higher, depending on shifts
    Nice team leads and management

ConsSeniority. Seems like you have to work at Simplot for 20 years to snag any job or a shift. YOu can get booted from any shift from someone who as worked longer there.
    HR is a mess
    Schedules are awful, they have 4, day, evening, nights and rotation

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the schedules up, hire part timers for weekends, get rid of the rotating shifts. Be flexible with schedules and quit the whole seniority thing. Performance should matter. Even sonorities don't make much compared to new hire. Find a way for people to get out of the Union.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good infrastructure, lousy work environment.

Food Group Employee (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsPay and benefits are competitive for the area. The company is very proactive with respect to systems and technology, especially for the industry they are in.

ConsSuccession planning and career mapping are virtually non-existent. The company frequently hires at all levels from outside and rarely promotes from within. Politics run extremely deep and hinder the company from capitalizing on the systems and infrastructure that exists.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotion must come from within if the company wishes to start succeeding due to its talent and not to market-driven circumstances. Succession planning needs to actually be implemented, not just talked about.

Analytical Laboratory Technician

Analytical Lab Technician (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits: medical, dental, vacation. Good pay for the position relative to the same position in other companies. Hours are good.

ConsNot much room for growing in the a laboratory or in the company unless you are willing to go back to school and get a graduate degree and even then I know some with an MBA that have been working in the same position for years.

Corporate HR needs to talk to the employees rather than believing what the local HR Manager is telling them.

ProsGood Benefits
    Great Co-workers
    Family-owned company with family values

ConsLower than average wages when compared with other mining and manufacturing businesses in the same geographical area.
    Corporate upper management needs to communicate with the employees and take their complaints seriously rather than relying on only what the managers tell them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee complaints seriously and spend some time talking to the employees one-on-one. There are real concerns at the Rock Springs location ranging from safety violations to unethical and unfair employment practices. Your local managers are only telling you what they want you to hear.

Cut throat atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits are well above other employers in area.

ConsSince announcing the closure of plants and consolidating to a new plant, the environment is dog eat dog. Only loyalty through the food group is to one self. It appears that management's terminating of employees is rewarded. The company disregards job experience for education. If you are not yes man, expect to have file being created to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFiring employees prior to plant shut downs require training employees for short duration. This is does not seem to be a very cost effective investment.

I've never been treated with such disrespect.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a large company with good stability. I was drawn to Simplot for the change to move up the corporate ladder and start a life long career.

ConsManagement is inept. While some people are promoted from inside the company, skill sets are not examined before the promotion. I was unfortunately placed in a department of people who did not respect their manager or co-workers. The training I received was half-assed. Senior management let middle management do whatever they pleased without any oversight. This eventually led to me leaving the company. I would suggest strongly researching the position your applying for. Simplot is an EXTREMELY corporate environment down to the tiniest detail with managers who should probably not be managers running the daily operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more active role in what middle management is doing. This would save time and money with training new employees. A lot of processes are redundant and an unneeded. Make sure the training is given in a thorough manner and not as if the trainer is in a race to finish.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery stress free place to work. Good hours and when you want time off you get it. Flexible employer to work for.

ConsMoving up is possible but the tend to hire from outside too often. Even if your in the same department, have good reviews, and good relationships with co workers they tend to look outside. Pay is low compared to similar companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the employees you currently have. Often times they are more capable than the employees you are bringing in with no experience in the company.

Worked for JR Simplot? Contribute to the Community!