JR Simplot Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great company!

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment to develop and achieve career objectives. Focus on employee / customer safety in all aspects of operations. Approachable management.

Cons

Some of the same issues many medium-large to large companines face.

2. Good job, but management needs to be more strict about wasting time.

Current Employee - Haul Truck Driver in Afton, WY
    Current Employee - Haul Truck Driver in Afton, WY

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, beautiful environment, good co-workers, safe.

Cons

Everyone does the bare minimum, bosses pick favorites.

Advice to Management

Make maintenance do their jobs and not just sit around all day.

3. J.R. Simplot located in Aberdeen, Idaho

Former Employee - Process Operator in Aberdeen, ID
    Former Employee - Process Operator in Aberdeen, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was decent and they had a bus that ran from Pocatello to Aberdeen.

Cons

The three on three of twelve hour shifts were not good. Overall management was clueless.

Advice to Management

Clueless

Simplot

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Simplot offers a significant level of job security for strong contributors. Pay is competitive. Working conditions are acceptable. The people at Simplot are very friendly, and you are always made to feel welcome there.

Cons

The culture at Simplot does not seem to allow innovation, but innovation is expected by upper level management. It seems that there is a breakdown between corporate communicated standards, and what unit level management actually does. There is a definite barrier between hourly and salaried employees that seems to be somewhat influenced by the presence of the teamsters union. I was never a union employee, so I never could understand this separation. I do know that whenever I spoke up, I was basically told to sit down and shut up.

Advice to Management

Upper management would be wise to somehow get a better picture of what actually goes on at the unit level. For example, audits are viewed as necessary check the box opportunities, and when the audit is over, everything goes back to as it was before. Standard Operating Procedures are nothing more than checklists that do little or nothing to prepare the worker to perform the work in a way that is consistent. Therefore the actual details that guide the performance of the task are learned through trial and error or tribal knowledge. If on the job training is used, there is no documentation of the actual OJT event. People get signed off on their job duties, many times not really knowing what they are doing or why they are doing it.

6. Eventful

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay for entry level employment.

Cons

great working environment for everybody

7. 12 years No regrets!!!

Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team of people to work with...you get diverse cross-functional opportunities to grow keeping in mind your interests and aptitude. I have seen HR person can jump into Plant Mgmt and vice versa plus much more. I was personally given immense opportunities by the company both in US and Internationally to grow and move around different business functions and locations. you need to PROVE your worth first before the honeytaps are opened up by decision makers. Compensation is average for the food industry but there is great deal of stability.

Cons

Diversity is sorely lacking in the Organization. No clearly defined career path for above-average performers and thats frustrating. Also too soft and liberal in tackling the competition.

Advice to Management

Cumbersome systems that require lot of time and efforts to make changes happen. More flexibility & entrepreneurial spirit is required. Innovation needs to be formally recognized and rewarded at all levels of the Organization.Need more latitude in taking risks and fast decisions.Transparency in making decisions is also needed...lot of time there appears to be no logic behind some decisions being made. We need hard-nosed , ruthless negotitators and leaders to survive the competition especially outside the US.

Good place to work once upon a time

Former Employee - Factory Worker in Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Factory Worker in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation can be a plus

Cons

Its not what it used to be and is not a good place to consider for a career any longer and after management changes it's only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds if they decide it's your turn to go. Its turned into something that can be abusive and downright hostile and theres no longer anyone you can trust as a mentor.

Advice to Management

Have a process for working with people. You might think you do, but you don't have anything comprehensive anymore.

9. great people, company takes care of you

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

job security, very good company to work for people are good well meaning people, very good benefits, pay is not the top but the benefits make it worth it

Cons

not really a chance to move up, alot of control issues , people who have worked for this company a long time dont want to share the knowledge maybe they feel somone younger may take thier jobs.

Advice to Management

give the little ones a chance

10. Great learning experience

Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - IT Datacenter Operations in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge multi-billion dollar privately owned family company in a small town. Worked with many people who later moved on to high value companies around the world.

Cons

Because it is a private owned family company most people are not familiar with the company that produces the food millions of people eat every day.

Advice to Management

Do some commericals about the company. Think BASF commercials...we dont make things, we make the things that other people make things from...something like that.

11. I worked for J R Simpot for 5 years

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the job I had there.

Cons

They were good to woke for.

Advice to Management

Kep employees happy

RSS Feed </> Embed