JRK Property Holdings

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.7

Jim Lippman

Pros
  • the staff are smart and dedicated (not executive management) (in 3 reviews)

• My days are fast-paced and I never have the same day twice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance will keep you focused on your job more effectively (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management uses threats to intimidate onsite employees (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Do more, for less

I worked at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some beautiful properties are in their portfolio. They also wisely participate in LIHTC

Cons

Low pay. Well below industry standards

Invest in your people as well as the properties.

Hostile Environment takes years off your life

Former Employee - Upper Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non really. They do give you a chance to enter the business (only because the turnover is so high and they need people). If you can walk on egg shells and hide your stress, you can make it for a while.

Cons

This company is run by the concept of fear and bullying . It instills this in everyone down the line and had created a very unfriendly, hostile, and stressful work place. There is a lot of the pointing of fingers and lack of taking responsibility for one's actions. The CEO is out of control with screaming fits at his employees. It's all intimidation and nonsense. Every day there is someone getting fired or reprimanded...all for nothing more than an employee trying their best. I know there are office people who are required to write positive reviews for the company under pseudo names as well. There are no morals at this company. IT's all about getting results, no matter how. Expect to live there. CEO expects you work 24 hours a day and you better do it perfectly.

Stand up to the harassment from the CEO. Don't let him destroy you.

hardwork pays off

Current Employee - Analyst to Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst to Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- if you are a hard worker you will get promoted fast and be very successful
    - the pay is the best in the market after you prove yourself
    - holiday parties and retreats are amazing and fun
    - you learn a lot while at Jrk and quite frankly become the best in the business and can run circles around anyone else in it
    - there are tons of different analytic tools to evaluate how to maximize a properties performance

Cons

- the hours tend to be long
    - the work day starts at 7:30am
    - there are too many meetings and these meetings are sometimes delayed and longer than they should be
    - occasionally the hard work can burn people out
    - depending on how you see it and your position in the company, you could be traveling 50% of the year
    - if you're not the best or an extremely hard worker, due to the steep learning curve, you'll probably be let go since the company doesn't accept "just getting by"

Love the company - great benefits!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a woman, benefits are super important and JRK definitely takes care of their women - from maternity leave time to wonderful insurance. I truly enjoy how organized the company's structure is. There's definitely room to grow within the company which is always encouraged and well reimbursed.

Cons

No real cons I can think of. Since we all have to have a job, I can't think of a better employer to work for really...

I would encourage to cross-train every employee to give them the opportunity to check out other available positions.

JRK - Unique, Challenging, Rewarding -

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Brentwood, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since I've been hired, I have had the privilege of working for the President of our Multi Family Group as well as our Associate General Counsel, both of whom have been fantastic. They are always respectful and very even tempered. I'm constantly going back and forth working for the two so it never gets monotonous. I get to be hands on with the legal aspect of things, simultaneous to all things involving asset management. I keep busy with everyday scheduling/calendaring, but I also get to be involved with day to day mitigating when various problems arise- both at our properties and at the corporate level. Everyone is dedicated and driven here-- Literally, it is a group of some of the hardest workers I've ever been surrounded with. I think I have been successful here so far because I actually enjoy proving myself under pressure. Side Note: I have met some life long friends here-- we are all really close and hang out outside the office, which is an added bonus!

Cons

The hours for Corporate start at 7:30AM (a lot of our properties are on the East Coast, so we have to start early!). I personally like getting an early start, but if you are looking for your typical 9-5, JRK is not that place. There is an understandable level of urgency required.

Hard Work is Rewarded

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

JRK is above all a meritocracy. If you are willing to work hard, learn the business and keep a positive attitude, the company offers incredible upward mobility. In my nearly four years with the company, I have had more exposure to various aspects of real estate than most people could hope for in a 20 year career.

Cons

The company has an intense corporate culture that can be both challenging and rewarding. Many corporate jobs here are not proverbial “9 to 5” jobs.

Hard Work Pays Off and Is Recognized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

JRK is a demanding, fast paced and grueling place to work, but if you're up to it, it will certainly pay off for you. Hours are similar to trading / investment banking hours and culture is similar. The benefit of JRK vs. a bank is the company is still small enough that you aren't constrained by a rigid corporate hierarchy or advancement track. The rapid growth of the company creates lots of opportunity for advancement and development. They will throw as much responsibility at you as they think you can handle and push you to develop as quickly as possible. If you're hungry and ambitious, it's a great match.

Compensation is above industry norms given the expectations and is based on results / performance.

Co-workers are fun and good natured overall. It takes a certain type to thrive here but if you are that type, you will like it / like who you are working with. You will learn more about real estate in one year here than in several years at other shops.

Cons

Not a lot of praise as everyone is a perfectionist and you can always do better than you've done. If you have thick skin or grew up playing competitive sports you will be fine. It will utlimately make you better the next time around.

I'm not a morning person and 7:30am comes early - you get used to it though and with East Coast properties the office needs to open earlier than normal West Coast offices.

Company is progressing but rapid growth rate makes for some growing pains. I think most issues are being worked on / through but it takes time. It's generally worth putting up with the growing pains in favor of a more dynamic, small company feel.

JRK is for Highly Motivated People

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings

Pros

JRK is a place for highly motivated people who want to take on responsibility at a rapidly growing company. I have worked at JRK for 1.5 years have experienced a significant amount of personal growth. While the work load can be demanding, working at JRK has taught me to think more critically and given me the ability to tackle difficult issues as they arise. There are very few real estate company's that will provide such a significant amount of exposure to large real estate transactions and the meticulous management of those assets. The company has been built on self starters who continually want to make improvements to the company and its processes. The company is one of the best real estate operators in the country and the senior management staff are among the industry leaders.

Cons

No formal training program and learning curve can be steep

FAKE REVIEWS. ALL FAKE on ALL WEBSITES. Analysts in LA doing what the CEO wants before the walk on the plank.

I worked at JRK Property Holdings full-time

Pros

Nothing except the good hardworking onsite employees. Pay was decent but everything else was horrible. Leadership.. ha.. Only leaders are the ones not in LA. Ethics lack.. They treat you like you are beneath them and rule with a iron fist.. literally it comes out of the leaderships mouths because they are so afraid of the nuts

Cons

People were absolutely horrible. These paid fake reviews are generated from analysts in LA. Notice on Indeed and others they are the same for a while, when the CEO scares them to do fake reviews. The properties are ran into the ground, violations and painting over the falling wood. They could care less about residents, lining the pockets is key. People absolutely DO NOT COME FIRST! Again, do not listen to the fake reviews. They do this on apt ratings and other websites also.

Taught me that hard-work and commitment pays off with much learning and growth (in the company and as an individual).

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at JRK Property Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

JRK values competence, loyalty, hard-work, and ownership of your work. If you put in these things, there is no question that you will be recognized within the company and will be given many opportunities for more responsibility and growth. With that being said, those four qualities take a lot of energy and effort from a person and not everyone has the tolerance or tough skin to put in this much work for a company (hence some of the bad reviews).

If you look at this company as a short-term job, you will only focus on the negatives. But if you look at this company as a long-term commitment, you will be able to focus on the more positive sides such as growth, upward mobility, ownership of your work, etc.

Since this company is not small (has fairly big business), but not too big (not at a corporation structural level), employees are given a lot of work, but also a lot of responsibility. If you can handle pressure and like owning and taking pride in your work, this is a great company. A very sink and swim mentality where if you are willing to put in the work, you will grow with leaps and bounds; but if not, you will surely go nowhere.

Ultimately, there are the facts, and then there is the individual's perspective on a job/career and what they are looking for.

Cons

Early start (730am) and long work hours can take time to get used to but ultimately I'm glad this is my first working world experience because everything from here on out would be a piece of cake.

Compensation, although above average for post-college jobs, could be better for amount of work and time put in (when compared to other friend's jobs who are putting in as much work and getting more compensation, or less work and getting same compensation). But I personally think they don't over-compensate to weed out those that can't see the benefits of sticking through the work and focusing on the long-term benefits of the company.

It is definitely hard to find the type of people that can fit into and stick with JRK's high-demand work culture, but perhaps hiring more people could grease the machine a bit more smoothly. Would spread around work-load a bit more evenly, allow for more employee rewards (i.e. more vacation days because work-load is spread around more) which in turn would create happier employees.