JWT

Updated October 28, 2014
3.2

JWT Chairman and CEO Bob Jeffrey
Bob Jeffrey

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and generally good people (in 10 reviews)

• There are some great people and the work is sometimes interesting (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, you are expected to respond to work requests night and day (in 7 reviews)

• Very long hours in the creative department, really overworked (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

JWT is great for Account Management positions.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

JWT is part of the WPP network and is a valuable company to work for from a career standpoint. Long-standing clients make the agency pretty stable. Overall, there is a great work-life balance and unlike many other agencies, JWT is not a sweat shop. Work is very strategic and based off of a solid planning department. The agency has a bar in the office and a very social, younger group of employees. Overall great people to work with.

Cons

Frequent battling between departments and lack of new business wins put stress on the agency morale. Creative work is often below excellent quality due to 1) talent standards and 2) lack of client push-back. There is a fear at JWT of losing clients and therefore the client-agency relationship seems a little unbalanced with unsavvy marketing managers on the client side making poor decisions that affect creative output and opportunities.

Empower Directors to have more influence over their subordinates and actually reward/punish behavior.

Contract-to-Perm-anent broken promises

Former Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some great talent on some of the largest brands in the world. Art directors get a fair amount of creative freedom and open communication to AE's all over the country.

Cons

My experience was very compartmentalized. Worked on only one dedicated client. My particular work never broke new ground for me aside from a few forays from print design into copywriting. Although it was national client, my work was only disbursed regionally and mostly thru newspapers. Although the team of writers, designers and producers is brought together from time to as a think tank, there is no real "building upon ideas." Team members seemed to value their ideas as there own and there is no collaboration. Management was a joke (in my dept.). I was brought on as a temp-perm after 3 months. It came and went, as did another 3 months. Then I was asked to remain on contract indefinitely. I quit.

Invest in your people. Get the writers together with the designers and get the designers in the edit suites and get them all behind the camera every so often. Value their opinions and their ideas. They are your eyes and ears on your market more often than not.

Disappointed in Atlanta

Former Employee - Experience Department in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Experience Department in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is beautiful. The compensation was appropriate. There is a bar in the office where workers could gather and socialize a bit. I felt very welcomed by my team when I first started. There was some light travel to the Dallas office.

Cons

There were situations where managers bullied and played favorites with who they gave/didn't give work to. No compassion for employees dealing with health issues (some life-threatening). There was an instance where the manager wanted to fire an employee, but couldn't, so he said he would "make their life hell" until they quit. Generally, I felt like a pawn in a game played by management surrounded by lots of closed door conversations and whispering. This office is full of office politics and gossiping, so much so that it severely impacted my ability to focus on work and I left with meager additions to my portfolio. Be expected to respond to work requests night and day (and weekends). Also, there is the typical corporate agency image trying to be conveyed that everything is about making daring, fresh, creative work, but that was rarely the case. Sadly, the amount of remarkable, original, inspired work I saw was zero.

Please replace the Experience Team management with those who place emphasis and importance on quality work and who do not approach a situation with only the perspective of what they, personally, can "get out of it". Also, having managers who don't take multiple vacations a month and who are actually present would help employees a lot.

okay

Current Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, relaxed atmosphere, nice office space and location.

Cons

Little or no growth opportunities. Buddy system. No organized performance reviews. Rare or non-existent salary raises.

Take better care of your current employees. Complete performance reviews and career goal plans. Improve culture and internal communication within the company. Pay and promotions should be based on skills, and performance and not on friendships and favoritism.

Once a strong agency. Great People, Little leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good clients, talented people. Desire to be a good agency. Client has loyalty to agency and wants them to do well. Current COO is talented, wish he could lead more rather than just follow the President.

Cons

Once they get a direction they change the course again. Little leadership. Work is suffering because of high turnover. They do not preach or practice any kind of values. Extraordinary amount politics.

Invest in Leaders, not PR people or superstars. Be present in the office and consistent with what you want us to do.

2013 or 1999?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bars in every office. Good clients, large network, award winning work outside of USA.

Cons

Raises are few and fair between. Very little room for growth. Management does not know the talent that they have. Still struggling with digital work.

Challenge employees to be great and they will. Managing by fear of "reorganizations" is poor on morale. Increase communication, praise and celebrate accomplishments

fun place to work at

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great atmosphere, great management, fun times

Cons

some of the people take some warming up to

n/a

Under construction

Current Employee - Senior Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Planner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New leadership has been dynamic and new business has been active.

Cons

Lots of turnover has made the teams feel unsettled.

Fun culture but no work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT full-time

Pros

Great, modern office. Lots of coworkers that like to party and have fun. Flexible work environment if you have been there for a while and are on the right team.

Cons

Overworked, understaffed employees. No work/life balance, you are expected to respond to work requests night and day. Limited raises; most employees only receive a raise after several years if at all.

Make employees more accountable for their actions; responsible/dedicated employees are constantly picking up others slack. Reward high performers.

Great experience, wonderful team

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT

Pros

great team to work with.
    Management is very considerate when it comes to time off.
    Great benefits package, profit sharing and lots of days off.
    Flex time
    Gorgeous workspace and lots of fun.

Cons

Salary is average
    Avg. of three years for a raise.

No complaints.