JWT INSIDE Reviews

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014
3.1

John Windolph

Great experience in a growing industry

Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of hats to be worn if you have a knack for something. At JWT INSIDE there's plenty of room to act on your own creative ideas, and there's also great vacation, holiday, and paid time off. I had a good experience at JWT INSIDE.

Cons

There's little room for advancement. The client budget and vision is sometimes limiting but what advertising client isn't like that.

Instill a better "hierarchy" for the account teams that sometimes look lost (from my perspective). Engage with all your employees and have a place for total communication (happy hour hangouts?).

An amazing group to work with, so-so clients

I have been working at JWT INSIDE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great energy in the office, and the people that work here are genuinely some of the best around. There's never a dull moment, and it's a positive office environment!
    - A vast majority of the employees are genuinely hard workers and are motivated to help propel the agency's initiatives. Everyone is willing to help each other out and put in the extra time to get the job done.
    - Generous time off and great summer days to use in June, July and August.
    - Weekly and bi-weekly lunch and learns and webinars are offered to employees and are great resources to take advantage of to learn more about trends in the industry.

Cons

- No clear on-boarding or training process; if you aren't sharp or a self-starter, you'll quickly fall behind.
    - Very limited upward mobility on the account side. Rather than promote, the agency is apt to bring in an outside hire.
    - No clear growth plans or timelines for positions.
    - Boundaries/expectations have not been communicated to clients, so they are often demanding outside the scope of their contract and can greatly abuse agency time.
    - Clients can be uneducated and stubborn when it comes to trying new means of advertising, even if it means a better return on their investment.
    - Uneven distribution of work among account teams - 10 hour days 5 days a week can be the norm, depending on which client accounts you cover.
    - Management can have a hard time keeping employee issues confidential.

Boost morale within the company by sticking to your word - put growth plans into action and invest in your employees. Build a solid account structure by adding more talent at the bottom (ACs) where a lot of the high-volume ad placement work is, and pair them with experienced AEs.

Love the company and the people

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at JWT Inside is dedicated to the end product. No one is phoning it in here. It really feels amazing to be a part of the a team where everyone from account to creative and programming are tactful, thoughtful, and courageous in their execution. I've worked at plenty of places where "good enough" was the best I could hope for. But here, I've really been challenged to produce better and better work, while being given the resources and the time to make it happen. And, our nationally renowned clients are giving us the opportunity to make an impact in the internal communications space in way that no other agency could.

Cons

Working with offices across the U.S. can be challenging, for sure. But, the account and creative teams do a good job of teleconferencing, as well as using webex to make sure all the teams are on the same page.

My Atlanta office feels like home, but maintaining that culture across multiple offices will always be a challenge. Take some time and evaluate what each office offers. Which culture do we want to be reinforcing?

Where do we start?

I have been working at JWT INSIDE full-time

Pros

Nice offices and pockets of very good, smart people.

Cons

The leadership is disconnected from the heart of the organization - they appear to have no vision.
    Focus and priorities change constantly - the company seems adrift
    It's run like an accounting firm and the end product suffers
    Too much politics for so small a group
    A selfish, "out for me" attitude by key leaders causes friction and creates a negative work environment
    Pretty much no advancement potential/raises

Think about someone besides yourselves!

Management liked to work late into evening

Former Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, team creative of people.

Cons

No work life-balance when I was there, may have changed?

I have been working at JWT Inside for over 5 years

I have been working at JWT INSIDE

Pros

Great people to work with in a very collaborative environment. Management trusts that you will get your work done with no micro managing. Lots of interesting projects to work on. Not always the same stuff. The work keeps evolving. The company is very generous with paid time off.

Cons

There is not alot of growth opportunity. Resources can be maxed out at times and a bit overburdened. Client budgets are stretched.

A great place to learn (or keep learning). As good as you make it.

I have been working at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart people I actually enjoy working with.
    - A willingness to help across offices and departments.
    - Small enough that you can contribute immediately and gain exposure to many different types of projects. Can get a lot of experience quickly. Everyone at all levels gets their hands dirty so you don't have any ivory tower issues.
    - An industry in transition so there is an inherent opportunity for continuous learning.
    - A commitment to understanding unique client challenges and solving them with creative solutions versus selling.
    - Flexible environment once you have proven that you are trustworthy and deliver.
    - Generous holidays.

Cons

- It can be a tough industry due to limited budgets that can limit creativity.
    - Client challenges can be similar.
    - At times there can be a lack of process when doing new things and training is relatively limited. If you need tons of guidance it may not be the best place for you.

- Proactively recognize employees (even small gestures can go a long way).
    - Be realistic with going after business that is a "fit" and plays against the strength of the organization.
    - Invest in ideas/products when appropriate that can further build agency offerings.

Great company to work for, in a state of transition and changing for the better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, company culture and growth potential if you're willing to work hard.

Cons

High turnover in certain positions

Moving backwards (unfortunately)

I worked at JWT INSIDE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people as far as the troops/boots on the ground. The senior management was pretty clueless. Made great friends for life.

Cons

Niche market going nowhere fast. Innovation was not fostered. All about continuing the same old same old. No benefit to being in WPP.

Innovate! Inspire!

Moving In the Wrong Direction

I worked at JWT INSIDE full-time

Pros

The offices are beautiful and most people seem to care about what they do.

Cons

Culture is toxic...divided, silo-ed and secretive. Senior leadership is inept and lacks a strategic vision. HR support is nonexistent. Turnover is high..lots of resignations.Title changes and increased responsibilities without pay raises. Understaffed and shrinking by the week. Overblown processes make it all but impossible to realize a profit. It's a shame really!

Spend less time looking at spreadsheets and more time developing and recognizing talent. Stop changing the "vision" for the company every 6 months. Start listening to things you may not want to hear and stop tolerating "yes" people.

JWT INSIDE Photos