JWT Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

JWT Chairman and CEO Bob Jeffrey
Bob Jeffrey

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and generally good people (in 10 reviews)

• There are some great people and the work is sometimes interesting (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours in the creative department, really overworked (in 11 reviews)

• No work/life balance, you are expected to respond to work requests night and day (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a learning experience

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at JWT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned alot. Had some great co workers.

Cons

Upper management is typical for a large corporation...

Try listening.

Typical Big Agency Moving at a Snail's Pace

Former Employee - Freelance Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelance Producer in New York, NY

I worked at JWT as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There are resources (and some amount of money) to make some good work if you can get the project off the ground.

Cons

This agency is slow to learn, and slow to get anything done... it's like living in molasses.

Hire some non-agency firecrackers to shake things up... allow for a start-up mentality.

Incredible hands-on experience for any field in advertising

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at JWT as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at JWT enables you to meet the best of the best in the industry and get your hands on top notch clients. The office is amazing and is in a great, busy location. Very friendly staff

Cons

Very long hours in the creative department, really overworked. No balance between work and life - come in on the weekends

Disappointed in Atlanta

Former Employee - Experience Department in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Experience Department in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JWT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is beautiful. The compensation was appropriate. There is a bar in the office where workers could gather and socialize a bit. I felt very welcomed by my team when I first started. There was some light travel to the Dallas office.

Cons

There were situations where managers bullied and played favorites with who they gave/didn't give work to. No compassion for employees dealing with health issues (some life-threatening). There was an instance where the manager wanted to fire an employee, but couldn't, so he said he would "make their life hell" until they quit. Generally, I felt like a pawn in a game played by management surrounded by lots of closed door conversations and whispering. This office is full of office politics and gossiping, so much so that it severely impacted my ability to focus on work and I left with meager additions to my portfolio. Be expected to respond to work requests night and day (and weekends). Also, there is the typical corporate agency image trying to be conveyed that everything is about making daring, fresh, creative work, but that was rarely the case. Sadly, the amount of remarkable, original, inspired work I saw was zero.

Please replace the Experience Team management with those who place emphasis and importance on quality work and who do not approach a situation with only the perspective of what they, personally, can "get out of it". Also, having managers who don't take multiple vacations a month and who are actually present would help employees a lot.

Love every minute of it, even the parts I hated (a lot of them), and am glad I am LONG GONE!!!

Former Employee - Account Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Planner in New York, NY

I worked at JWT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Old agency with a fantastic legacy. Incredible network. Great resources. Exciting to be part of something global and collaborate (which rarely happened and when it did it was always a crap show about who was going to get credit for the revenue).

Cons

The oldest, stodgiest, most incompetent management in the world whom insists agencies need to be run like it's 1972. They love TV and garbage print design. They hired a digital guy to be President of North American and he has been a failure (the guy in Asia is good). They cannot hang on to contemporary talent with the skills needed for tomorrow. All of them quit within 12 months. So they hire TV hacks from the likes of Crispin, etc... The New York office is a toxic poison pit of nitwits. I have watched them destroy Chicago (Detroit is a joke), try to ruin Atlanta, turn Inside and Action into jokes, and now they are in the process of screwing up Digitaria (the latest toy - anytime they feel inadequate, they buy another company and screw it up because they are so arrogant in their own ignorance). They simply cannot get out of their own way.

Dismantle the New York office and set up smaller staffed offices near the client locations like Royal Caribbean, and Kimberly Clark, etc... It's too big, too expensive, too dysfunctional and the people running it their are too stupid. When I started that office was 1,000 people. It's like 400 now and it just isn't getting any better. Once Bob leaves, have the new guy get rid of everyone working there prior to 2000 for starters.

Partying like it's still 1999.

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong international network. Some world-class clients. Admirable history. Cool bar hangout area. Big parties occasionally. Pay decent.

Cons

Old, old, old. Trapped in a mentality from thirty years ago. Some abusive management, and the ones that aren't abusive are detached. and the CEO either doesn't know (he seems pretty detached himself) or doesn't care. Lots of turnover and the people leaving are the wrong ones. The place runs mostly on fear and alcohol.

If the new global CEO is reading this, I hope he plans to wipe out pretty much every member of upper management, at least in North America. He's the only reason I am sticking around for the time being.

the more things chance, the more they stay the same

Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at JWT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture, big enough to have good variety of work and people, attracts good talent. Loyal clients.

Cons

poor salary review frequency, can't keep good people, upper management turnover and over-promise of change.

Figure out who we are, commit and make change happen.

Nice place to work but not to grow

I have been working at JWT

Pros

Good work life balance, good compensation

Cons

Very political, don't really invest in junior talent. Very top heavy

NYC still weak .. after all these years

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at JWT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great legacy. Some good clients. global connectivity a plus.

Cons

unproven leadership. Turnover in mgmt has the place adrift. Doubtful new boss will stay

It was so so

Former Employee - Account Services Director in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Account Services Director in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at JWT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great network, some valuable colleagues, great brands

Cons

Account management is not prepared in 360 degree marketing starting from the senior management, so there is not really someone you can learn anything from, moreover, account directors are competitive but do not prepare themselves in new tools, they expect other people do bring expertise when it is their own obligation. Some VPs were literal royal bitches and the CEO would let them misstreat employers and worse, be LAZY not bringing new business, but just micromanaging their directors

Change the management to one that is less traditional and more up beat in new marketing tools