Jabil Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.9

Mark Mondello

Pros
  • Very very relax and casual work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Good salary, flexible dress code, flexible with time off (depending on your manager) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • VP of HR is one of the good ole boys (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance due to long hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Business

I have been working at Jabil full-time

Pros

Great place to work - lots of travel

Cons

Cheap - need to pay people more

Pay people more

A Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst II in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Jabil full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have the option to move around to different areas supported by IT department. The company and their business models are always growing and changing. Great opportunities to advance.

Cons

Each year Jabil goes after different lines of business. This is actually a good thing ... Where the issue comes in is that, depending on what you do, you could get moved around a lot. So it was hard, for me at least, to ever truly become an expert at one thing. Also, most years they have layoffs. I lived through a lot of them and can tell you that if you are performing well in your job, you will survive them. Where i think it might get a bit dicey is if you are moved to a different area, for example, and under a new manager. Then it could theoretically become a "musical chairs" event where a layoff might come and you get cut as the "new" guy. I wouldn't let any of this keep me from joining the company though. It's really like this at any place that is worth working for. Just be aware of it.

I believe they are are on the right track.

Overall

I have been working at Jabil as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice People to work with.

Cons

Management not trained , not professional.They can't stick to a process very well constant upper management changes and plenty of lay-off.
    I noticed people with seniority in the company being let go because Jabil said they lost a high paying customer.

Be more professional, embrace the people who have made the company a global company today. Before you go crazy hiring think of the constant lay-off you have to have.
    Train the employees better with more learning tools and opportunities to have education from outside brought in house. Specially in IT. The business duplicates its efforts by buying systems that other systems have the same capability of doing the job.

inventory control group leader

Current Employee - Material Quote Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Material Quote Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jabil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was a good company with benefits, opportunities.

Cons

I learned very fast with them, I got experience....

company advanced information systems tools, techniques and methodologies to solve and prevent problems in healthcare organizations.

Tough industry, big company, a lot of lifers in upper management, professional wins are no guarantee you'll go anywhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Jabil full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an international global technology manufacturing company. There is a lot that can be learned. Taken in some context to my cons, Jabil doesn't have a true competitor. Nobody is performing as well in the number of products that Jabil offers. They have several competitors within each line but no competitor is too large or a knockout. So there is some security there. They've gone under a large restructuring in terms of where they manufacture certain products but no more than any other manufacturing company. The RIM separation was predictable and they dragged it out and offered severance which is more than many companies.

Cons

If you want to make your mark, you will work insane hours. If you don't want to work insane hours, you'll never get anywhere. If you have something profound or have a great idea, there is 10 miles of thorns and vines before hitting a 20 foot concrete wall (heavy control structure lead by lifers who still do things in very old ways). Succeeding at getting to and scaling the wall is no guarantee of any reward, incentives, or opportunities even after all that work.

Jabil has the distinct scenario of being a manufacturer (tight margins and competition) in the technology industry (anything they make will be obsolete within in 2 years). This creates a lot of cash concerns for a company thats been in restructuring since 2006 and just dropped it's second biggest customer. This means your incentives for staying at Jabil come with a timeline that isn't competitive if you didn't come in with a competitive salary to begin with. Everything takes to 2/3 years which can get cumbersome.

The experience you get is quite different because Jabil is lacking in centralized visibility and central processes. The businesses operate like entirely separate businesses which limits your ability to make an impact. This has increased since the Nypro acquisition.

Sometimes, I wonder why people make the salaries they do because they don't do anything of much consequence. Then they earn bonuses when they're already overpaid in salary. Other people do extremely well and are extremely capable and nothing is done to provide them incentives. There is almost a clique-ish nature to how some salary and benefits are paid out and sometimes you are too far in the back of the line of promised incentives to ever realize them. This also get's cumbersome.

You're doing the best with what you have. Without large customers like Apple and Cisco, I would wonder why any manufacturing company would be public with competitors in Taiwan and China undercutting bids. Premium margins require premium innovation, premium service, and premium partners. Keep changing your business to the markets but your hiring, benefits, and compensation structure needs a major rehaul. The rating system seems to have almost no correlation with comp.

Planner

I have been working at Jabil

Pros

casual environment, flexible, friendly environment and great exposure, good learning curves which also can state in your resume.

Cons

Treated well for Senior executive above, but not for those lower than that, work load increase and being push by management level, overloaded...

Have a balance between ground level and higher level.

Good company to work with.

Former Employee - SAP ABAP Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - SAP ABAP Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Jabil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's family oriented company. IT development is up today new technology.

Cons

There is limited room to grow.

Demeaning, degrading, abusive, repugnant, horrid and disrespectful

Former Employee - Product Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Jabil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company with excellent benefits.

Cons

Promotions in the Louisville office are based on whether or not you have "Mid-western values." Just another way of saying anything but Black. There are no Blacks in management in this local office. All have either left due to working conditions or let go. If you are part of the good ole boys, you can go far in the company.

Racism is so 60 years ago.

Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Jabil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Casual environment. We work hard but it is gratifying. Team oriented most of the time. There is plenty of room for growth depending on what functional area you want to go into.

Cons

No work life balance. Customer dictates your life. Favoritism is prominent in deciding who gets a job.

Listen to your employees, they will either make you or break you.

One of the best environments out there

Former Employee - Risk and Assurance Auditor in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Risk and Assurance Auditor in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Jabil full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture is great. Very relaxed. Very close-knit. The company does a great job keeping employees happy and provided for.

Very flexible with time off. If you do your work, it should never be an issue.

Cons

Didnt live up to my expectations for using my multiple languages. I thought I would get much more exposure than I did in that regard.

While the minimum requirements are laid out for you, the intricacies of these requirements can be confusing and really depend on your manager.

Worry less about what the external auditors have to say.