Jack Cooper Transport

Greg May

I was a car hauler.

Former Employee - Car Hauler in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Car Hauler in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The rates , $1.20 per mile loaded. Excellent healthcare.

Cons

The company reprimands most infractions. And discharges many drivers over more serious issues.

We're not just a number or revenue producers. Treat us like family, like your website boasts.

Teamsters Union driver

Current Employee - Union Carhauler in Roanoke, IN
    Current Employee - Union Carhauler in Roanoke, IN

I have been working at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only benefit of working for this company is our pay and benefits are covered under the NMATA. Union pay, benefits and retirement.

Cons

This company is a joke. Old inadequate equipment , uneducated management and the companies attitude towards it skilled union drivers is a recipe for failure. Our terminal is over staffed with unqualified management that moves up through attrition not by experience. They are full of lies and excuses while always looking to blame the drivers for everything. For example, I had a dispatcher tell me it was my fault I didn't catch his mistakes he made when printing delivery receipts.
    They don't offer direct deposit, and many times the drivers checks are days late. Only the drivers checks, not the non essential peoples checks.

Fire half your useless management staff. Tell your management to stop insulting the skilled car haulers who produce revene to support their salaries. We are who makes this industry work not them. I have been a union carhauler for fifteen years and don't need a college drop out who has been there six months telling me how to load a truck.. Get direct deposit so your drivers who drive all over for you don't have to worry about picking up a check and depositing it.

Not what the company says it is!!!

Current Employee - Transport Driver
    Current Employee - Transport Driver

I have been working at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, benefits are great! Home time is ok as far as trucking goes.

Cons

The managment of Jack Cooper is awfull! The way this company operates is confussing at best. Jack Cooper should have kept Allieds operating system. The pay is good but is quickly becoming less when you consider all the redundant bullcrap you have to go through to get paid! The tractor trailers we use are out dated and when you have to shop; and you have to about once a week; they get upset at you and try to blame the driver. This company acts like a company that is getting ready to go under, they are doing no reinvestment into equipment or employees!

You make money when the drivers can go down the road. Try to ease the paperwork and load time for the driver. Do this by getting equipment that isnt 15 years old, stop adding units to an already full truck! I can load 9 units on a truck in 2 hours. To load 10 takes me 5 hours!!!

Very discouraging to watch the lack of Leadership.

Current Employee - Auto Transporter in West Seneca, NY
    Current Employee - Auto Transporter in West Seneca, NY

I have been working at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits! Breakdown pay is needed and paid. I am fortunate to work with my current management at my home terminal.

Cons

No dispatch on Saturday? No one available after 6 pm Friday? Been a Driver for 23 yrs large and small fleets I have never seen such a miss managed corporate office.

Look around at what you have in regards to years of experience and let them lead you to being the most advanced in the Industry.SIZE doesnt matter in todays world QUALITY matters!The quality and then the size of this company could be a problem for other carriers if you manage what you have correctly!

Hard work great pay

Current Employee - Union Carhauler in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Union Carhauler in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, insurance, freedom, free hotels

Cons

Dispatch makes the worst decisions for backhauls if you work out of Nashville.

Get new dispatch tactics

Great people. Internship was unstructured

I worked at Jack Cooper Transport

Pros

The people at the company were very friendly and always made sure I was following along.

Cons

I had an internship there, and since there was no formal internship program, it was a bit unstructured. They didn't really know what they wanted us to do.

Develop and structure your internship program.

Relaxed work environement leads to lack of discipline and uneven work distribution.

I worked at Jack Cooper Transport full-time

Pros

Friendly co workers and very flexible schedule.

Cons

Lack of training leads to no opportunity to advance career. Bring in non experienced people to fill advanced positions.

Take care of the productive employees and give them opportunity for advancement. Get rid of non producers sooner, before their bad work ethic poisons those who are srious about their job.

Jack Cooper - Not the company it was -

I worked at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long time name in carhaul. Biggest in the industry, union drivers. Dedicated people at the terminal level.

Cons

Since merger of Active - Employees lower than VP level are nothing but replaceable. Most old Cooper employees have been replaced or quit. Some non union managers, terminal personnel have gone 4-5 years without a increase in pay unless they are friends of the new owners. Moral of the working people is bad, but management thinks it is great. Trucks are old and not taken care of - CSA score is terrible.

Take care of your people and just not your bondholders and yourself. Get out and meet your people in the field. Most common JCT employees couldn't pick Bob Griffin or Craig Irwin out of a lineup.

A Great Job, Thirty Years Ago

Former Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, TX

I worked at Jack Cooper Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, even during the economic downturn the employees are taken care of as much as the company can. Weekly pay is a plus, the health insurance is better than average.

Cons

Small company atmosphere and attitude means that promotions come slow, favor family over skills/tenure/background, only come when somebody retires/quits. Also low salaries, not "competitive" unless the employee doesn't have a college degree. Union company, which means that all of the money goes to the blue collar workers and management gets scraps.

Quit hiring family; the best position in the Arlington Terminal was filled by an unqualified sister when nearly every person in the office (some with 25+ years of management experience) applied for and wanted the job. Good workers often pick up the slack for "low-hanging fruit," often aren't noticed or appreciated for it; fix that.

Great benefits, mediocre pay, zero development.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jack Cooper Transport

Pros

The benefits are top-notch. The work environments are fantastic, and any supervisory role provides broad-based management training and transportation and logistics experience.

Cons

They cut the bonus program, stopped matching 401k contributions, and froze raises years ago. This is a union carrier, which means management already gets paid about 60% of the competitive rate. There were zero opportunities for development, and asking for feedback is considered "rocking the boat."

The company was also recently acquired, further muddying the waters of advancement opportunity.

Look at the "little people" more. Kansas City seemed caught up in ensuring its own goals were met, leaving the terminals to fight over the scraps.