Jack Henry & Associates

Jack Henry & Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim

Jack Prim

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, work from home option after being there 1 year and meeting requirements"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Every company says they care about customer satisfaction and employee work-life balance"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "In more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Career growth opportunities within management isn't as expansive as I originally thought it'd be"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is above average for the position, the benefits are wonderful, and the company culture is outstanding.

ConsNot enough recognition for employees that do their job above average. Management within certain facilities are poor managers.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize employees who do great more advancement opportunities

Love this company!

Withheld (Current Employee)
Monett, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture. Supportive of entrepreneurial efforts. Make your career happen based on your goals.

ConsNo bonus incentive program except at executive levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove compensation options to help retain A players. Better purging of C players for more effectiveness and efficiency.

Excellent company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery strong executive management overall. Every company says they care about customer satisfaction and employee work-life balance. This company lives both, best I've seen in the financial services software industry.

ConsLike their peers/competitors, Jack Henry is largely a combination of companies they've acquired. They do an admirable job of leaving companies alone after acquiring them, but sometimes to a fault. Could take a stronger hand in management sooner after acquisition, and should provide better corporate standards and guidance across divisions and business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage best of breed across the corporation. Stop protecting a very small number of weak mid-senior managers; act on peer reviews when the evidence is overwhelming.

Great Place to Start but not to Stay for the Long Term

Front End Web Developer (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople for the most part are great, friendly and helpful. Relaxed dress code and flex hours are a plus. Great place to start your career.

ConsOpportunity for advancement is limited, Salary increases are lacking and pay scale is below average. Training and development is on your own time and dime which is hard with long work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in industry viable development of associates and work life balance needs to be more than just words but part of the way they benefit the associates.

JHA has a great reputation among customers and employees, now I know why.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

ProsGreat on boarding process, organized and efficient. Loads of talented, approachable people. Many opportunities to advance and grow. Established process for teamwork and collaboration. Best benefits package I've seen in 15 years. The CEO spent 45 minutes with us, giving us a history of the company and answering all questions.

The one thing I was most impressed with was finding out that during the recent recession, JHA decided to not lay off a single employee. The company cut expenses and weathered the storm. When the economy started to turn around, JHA possessed a fiercely loyal employee base ready to take care of its customers.

The company truly values its employees and places a heavy emphasis on customer service. Most companies will give lip-service to one or the other. As an employee, it gives me great satisfaction to know that I and everyone around me is working hard to do the right thing each day.

ConsHaving to wait 1 year for ESP plan

Great company that really cares about its employees

Marketing Communications Specialist (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros- Competitive pay
- Flexible work schedule
- Telecommuting opportunities
- Room for advancement
- Structured annual reviews
- Raises are tied into merit (based on annual reviews)
- Transparency
- Employees get a lot of support from upper management
- Excellent benefits - really above and beyond

Cons- There's no structured way for employees to review their managers
- Self-appraisals are a part of the annual review process

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

You have been warned......

Code Janitor (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsFree parking. Nothing else besides that. (I could say paycheck but the high blood pressure you'll be dealing with daily cancels that out.)

ConsThere is a huge difference between under qualified and NOT qualified. This place should be used as a case study of why a college degree is important. What a freakin disaster. From the top down a true testament of how bad the IT world is getting. Stay far away - you'll thank me......

Advice to Senior ManagementUtterly disgraceful.

Good Company though needs to be accepting of change

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, work from home option after being there 1 year and meeting requirements.

ConsCompany is not as innovate as it seems it should be for being a technology company, also should look to hire though who do have the same experience as everyone else in the company...bank experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of change and don't allow red tape to cause simple projects to take years to complete.

Good company with potential to be great.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros1) Fair Salaries, average benefits.
2) Technical Training is available.
3) Some very good managers and many excellent software engineers, testers, and technicians.

Cons1) Company is very much top down, "policy driven". A ton of time is just wasted trying to keep up with relatively stupid policies and "required" training in things that don't even apply to your parts of the organization. It is more about appearing to do the right thing as opposed to doing the right thing. Although the company has many disparate subsidiaries, they want a one size fits all approach to everything. A lot of policies conflict with the reality of what happens in the field and what we have to do to get the job done. They can't make the perfect policy so to keep the business running (and making money and satisfying our customers) some policies are bent or just ignored.
2) Company has lost some of its cultural roots regarding employees. It used to be that employee satisfaction was more of a concern for top management. Now they will sacrifice employee satisfaction for short term stock price increases.
3) A few very poor General Managers who are non-supportive and unknowledgeable. I think that they keep their jobs because of inertia and the businesses that they manage are just naturally doing good in spite of them.
4) Little bottom up communication, No way to get ideas out and evaluated. Some middle managers just close down all communication. This is almost a cultural thing now. A lot of people have given up trying to get ideas out because they'll be shut down. It only takes one person to kill any idea and there seems to be lot of people who kill ideas.
5) Little or no support for experimentation. This is related to item 4 above. Everything has to be "big" and a "huge revenue generator" right out of the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for opportunities to switch up some of the businesses to different General Managers. Even some businesses that look like they are doing good may do better under a different GM. Experiment a little in this area.
Look for opportunities to support the needs of the businesses instead of "forcing" the businesses to always support the myriad policies of top management. There is a real disconnect between the policy driven approach to management and running a creative, agile and responsive organization.
Look for opportunities to show employees that this is really a great place to work. As opposed to the "only" place to work in Monett and Springfield. As opposed to a place to work that has "competitive compensation and benefits". There isn't enough compensation and benefits to differentiate Jack Henry from most other middle of the pack tech companies. Stop believing your own hype.

Little pay for the work, suffocated job growth

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

Prosbenefits it would seem to be

ConsPay is lower than most.
Little or no job growth potential
very political culture
lots of sucking up even encouraged

Someone there said people stay and get paid less for the good benefits. This is unacceptable. Very political seniors love butt kissing. So if you are not a sucker upper do not apply here. One of the worst decisions of my life. All the company cares about is their clients - I think the clients are a little too involved in the company. Company is always trying to compete with fiserv...

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, try to understand them instead of placing the blame

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jack Henry & Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jack Henry & Associates CEO Jack Prim. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Jack Henry & Associates employees.