Jack Henry & Associates

Updated September 25, 2014
3.7

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• flexible work (partial work from home), interesting tasks, fun coworkers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is out the window with this company (in 4 reviews)

• Career growth opportunities within management isn't as expansive as I originally thought it'd be (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You might think business software is boring. Here's what I've discovered. Anything can be boring if you're surrounded by the wrong people. Jack Henry is not one of those places. Everyone likes what they're doing. And most of the people have quite a bit of experience doing it. The software development teams are dynamic, and work with the latest technologies. The people are fun. It's the first place I've worked in years where I feel relaxed. You start out with a liberal vacation plan. And they really encourage you to take it. You can work from home when you need to. You get current training, and are always encouraged to learn more. Dress is casual, so jeans and a t-shirt most days.

Cons

Upper Upper management can be a bit stiff. But they usually come around.

Salaries need to regularly checked against the market.

Good Company

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

Somewhat below average salary. No yearly bonus.

JHA is a good organization that has slipped on it's commitment to employees as of late.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse, fairly relaxed atmosphere most of the time. Compensation is generally low compared to the market, but some employees make fair market pay.

Cons

Tragically hard to move around in the organization, you can get cornered into a group that is declining. Terribly slow to develop with Industry standards, falling well behind the curve. Too many legacy systems that just won't let go. Most of the middle managers that I've worked with are smart but generally out of touch. Many of them holding only one other job and therefor bringing very little experience in software development life cycles. Still using waterfall SDL!!!

Offices outside of the home office in Monett are treated like the third world. In terrible repair, dirty and unkempt environments; bathrooms often out of order, ventilation system coughs dust clouds, carpet from 1970, stained and broken furniture (yes it's really that bad). However at the home office, not a blade of grass out of place as workers roam the expansive facility all day polishing toilets, pruning shrubs and providing multiple options for lunch in the on site lunch room at generous discounts. Ya, they just don't care about any other office other than Monett Mo.

Management should look for ways to move their top employees up and provide training for it. The company as a whole should revert to it's roots of putting the ASSOCIATES first and squash the notion of invasive audits of the employees family and person information through unreliable third party's (ConSova).. As of late, the organization is nickle and dimming the benefits which used to be their greatest factor.

Pay attention to facilities outside of Monett. The facility in Allen is a running joke. Obvious that you don't care about employee well being in Texas.

The good ole boy network exists only in Monett Mo. No chance of getting exposed to opportunity in other offices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It seems they have trouble embracing their stated values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, causal dress, good facility

Cons

disorganized, cumbersome tools, training is not standard

embrace process improvement

Company Falls Short in what they advertise for their average Employee

Current Employee - Management  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture.

As a Manager, we have some of the hardest working team members I have ever had the pleasure to manage. They work hard, show effort, and put time into learning new technology and better ways to do their jobs literally, everyday. The environment is very friendly. Good relationship within everyone that I come in contact with.

Being Close to Headquarters in Monett, MO

Always a perk to be close to the headquarters of any company! Events such as barbecues and just random catering days, as well as free (paid donation) massages once a month on a random day of the week.

Cons

Benefits:

This company constantly pushes that their benefits make up for lower wages. This is, in fact, HIGHLY incorrect to anyone who knows the IT industry. As a manager, I can state that I know from industry standards that all of my team make at LEAST 20% lower then industry standard,some make much much less.

They will try to say that their 19 days vacation per year make up for this. Or their "Great" Health Insurance will cover this. (Bare in mind, the amount of coverage has drastically gone down, and the prices are going up so much that its becoming detrimental to some of my team members when other companies of our size have FREE health insurance or drastically cheaper). That's really all they have to offer in terms of benefits that make a difference in the day to day lives of any employee. The stock purchase discount option at 15% is fine, if you are planning on staying at the company your whole life. It has taken the stock 30 years to hit $50 dollars a share.

Now take in mind that you go to any place on the coast or out of the Midwest or anywhere really, that is the NORMAL for pretty much everyone IT based company. Jack Henry tries to represent themselves as a company where they do more for the average employee. Look at Google, look at Intuit, look at Lockheed. They all have these similar benefits and pay 20%-40% more then JHA ever will.

Compensation and Promotion:

A gain in either of these is pretty much legend within Jack Henry now a days. I can honestly say that every single guy on my team who has been here his Jack Henry 2 year minimum for promotions and raises deserve it. They DO NOT promote based on merit. I have basically not had a choice of when I can hand out promotions. They are allocated per department. And not on a yearly basis.

I am afraid that if our compensation as a whole does not increase in the near future, I will lose some very important members of my teams. As a middle manager my hands are tied. I can not just willingly give pay increases to anyone. It has to come down from upper management. Constantly I hear team members talking about our quarterly updates on company health. They always report record profits every quarter in excess of $100 million. I then always here the questions such as "How can we have yearly raises that are only 3%, when the company makes so much profit?"

I do not know how to answer these questions. I am fearful to find the answers for the culture at Jack Henry is to always entrust that "Good Ole Jack Has your Back". Questioning the companies earnings, regarding to pay is a question that I fear would be a resume generating event. And while we all want to be payed more, our hands are tied. A low paying Job is better then no Job.

I have been at this company years. Promotions for the average employee were very much a real tangible thing in every department - about 5 years ago. The company in it's present would rather higher externally, the promote from within. One to save money. Two because fresh faces don't question things which they do not understand. I have yet in my time at Jack Henry, see anyone start from a standard engineering position to be promoted to anything more then a slight title change. (Title Change Promotions do not generally mean pay raises, I still can not wrap my head around that one) No one in any of my direct connections that I know has gone from team member to management. Every Management position has been hired externally. My team members want to have opportunities, I try my best to give it to them but again, as a middle manager, I have only slightly more power then my basic team member.

Overall:

The people work hard. There is just not much to offer to the average employee then the daily grind. Jack Henry has to know by now that they are not paying their employees enough. Whenever multiple engineers with 4-5 years of experience have to get a second job to pay their bills, something is wrong. I feel as though Jack Henry is wasting good talent, Just last week a Veteran in corporate operations that was a DIRECTOR, started a department from the ground up left the company to work for a larger IT company based in St.Louis. If that isn't a red flag, I don't know what else is.

We as the General Population at Jack Henry want some type of explanation as to why we are paid so little while we keep making record profits?

I am a Manager, and I have to state these things behind a wall of anonymity for fear of loosing my job for questioning Jack Henry, tell me why I shouldn't have to do this?

The more questions go unanswered the more that my team members lose moral, or any hope of advancing with Jack Henry. What is your strategy to keep the new generation of IT professionals interested in working for Jack Henry compared to any other major corporation?

We make more then enough money as a company to keep record profits, yet we do not pay enough to keep around even veterans of the company, I want a explanation of this.

Great People, dated work environment, work processes, and application design

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance
    Benefits are OK
    Great people
    Seem to care about their people

Cons

Like working for a company in year 2000
    Scrumbug - teams are not co-located, no product owners, not truly Agile Scrum, not even close
    Application design is dated, reinvent the wheel, old legacy code trying to move to new, Code moving from 80s to late 90s design, it is year 2014.
    Not an exciting place to work, bored to death
    Not innovated
    Place for retirees to come, finishing your final years.

Come into year 2014

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

fantastic boss-good atmosphere-beautiful office

Cons

I guess the cons are the extras they took away.

If you are a dedicated employee and have pride in your efforts, you will love working here!

Current Employee - Management  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Management in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a long-term employee of the company, I have seen my income, and career progress in exciting ways! Management truly cares about employees and the customers we serve, and conveys a sense of always considering alternatives when evaluating internal and external decisions.

Cons

The biggest challenges is people that would rather complain than contribute to the company or team success. Honestly, there are plenty of other places to work. If you have cause for concern or complaint, then please get out of our company. We would much rather work along side of someone that wants to be here and has pride in our company and solutions. Let's be honest... if you gave this company a single-star rating or wouldn't recommend working here, you probably are an 8-to-5 employee that is doing the bare minimum and fear a forced departure any day now anyway.

Don't allow sub-standard employees to remain in our midst. Develop a clear career-progression path for employees that aim to succeed.

Currently working at my favorite company

Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Ethical management decisions, very competitive benefits, and a great workplace environment. JHA was my brass-ring before I got here, and they have proven, close to a decade later, to still be my favorite company. They respect hard work, customer service, ethical decision-making, and a common passion for excellence. They really stand by their mission, and continue to reinforce "Do the Right Think, Do Whatever It Takes, and Have Fun."

Cons

Following the industry, benefits have tightened up. Certain departments have been known to hold onto the "dead weight" people for too long, but this patience with under-performers COULD be considered "a positive," depending on what side of the fence the person is on.

I advise to keep up ethical decision-making, opportunities for advancement, and advancing the company. Not all managers are leaders, and I advise that upper managers continue to help train managers, who want to grow into great leaders.

Jack Henry & Associates Photos

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!