Jack Henry & Associates

Updated August 17, 2014

3.6

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits/salary/VERY CASUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • In more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard (in 5 reviews)

• Career growth opportunities within management isn't as expansive as I originally thought it'd be (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company trying to adjust to its ever increasing size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Monett, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, nice people to work with, decent technology, in the lucrative banking software market, competition is there but not killer, high cost to switch to other vendors insulates us quite a bit (this is both good and bad)and banks always have money to pay their bills.

Cons

Some parts are quite well run and other parts are stunningly insulated from true accountability. In general new large scale IT system development is done very poorly. Have seen projects go past their intended end dates by years (due to poor management) and no one is held accountable (at all). But, the handwriting is on the wall that this will be changing in the near future. Kudos for that.
    Career advancement ranks with glacial movement as to speed. If you haven't been their five or ten years forget about moving up. Many times retirement and death are your only openings. And I'm not kidding about this.

Be tougher on people who underperform or who have projects that go over by years. Right now you're letting them slide. In most other areas I think you're doing a good job. And on a side note, pay the Exec's a little bit more (no I'm not one of them) and kick in a bonus program for the rest of us. You are a billion dollar company now so start spreading some of the wealth. Your competition does and they keep calling me. One day I may slip and say 'OK' .
    Find someway to allow for more career advancement for your employees - else the best ones will leave. If you won't allow your best people to move up in a timely manner, a lot of other companies will.

Run, Don't walk, to the nearest exit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Decent PTO/benefit policy. flexible work (partial work from home), interesting tasks, fun coworkers

Cons

Company talks a great talk with thier motto of "Do the right thing, do what it takes and have fun" - but it's just hot air. Pay scale borders on insulting, raises are like unicorns.
    Favoritism is so rampant that performance is a non-factor for some.... you're either in or you're out.
    Training? you mean story time, right? employees listen to thier orientation, and then get read a conpletely convoluted, unhelpful manual and sent on thier merry way to sink or swim.
    Promotions are also a non-entity, based on time, rather than skill when occurring at all. and forget about inter-department transfer - those are also pretty much a myth.
    Management - way too many mid managers, upper management completely detached from all but a handful of pets.
    Absolute zero incentive - performance means nothing if you're not one of The Chosen, so why bother?
    Completely understaffed, leading employees stressed and frustrated at inability to ever stop the hamster wheel, while constantly being reminded about unatttainable quotas - 1 person is generally expected to do 5 peoples' worth of work causing morale to be non-existant.
    Appreciation/regocnition is seldom given, with the exception of peer-to-peer pep-talks (mostly convincing each other not to hang ourselves with the phone cords)
    Policies are randomly enforced, be they attendance, appearance or productivity.
    Annual employee surveys are also a joke - individual links per employee do NOT make one feel secure in thier annonymity - not that anyone listens anyway.
    Communication is sporadic, incomplete and contradictory - At best. Top down communications are rare, and inter-departmental communications are vague and unhelpful. Mid-management communications are generally random and critical - complimentary seldom enters into the thought process.
    There is no career-pathing or goal setting. At all. You'd better have a relative or childhood friend in a place of power for each department you'd like to move to.
    Dead weight sits on the payroll at all levels, but is significantly detrimental to the management team - a manager should be present more than they are gone to be effective.
    Work-life balance is nearly impossible in somedepartments, and shift assignments are not conducive to any kind of family life.
    Performance evaluation process is a bloated waste of time and energy - manager responses are simply cut-and-pasted from before the dawn of time.
    Change is an anathema - which is really NOT a good stance for a company dealing with banking technology. Ideas for improvement are met with disinterest (if you're lucky), or a trip to the doghouse for suggesting something so subversive as updating the manual.

Cut the dead weight
    PAY your employees well, and give reasonable raises that actually keep pace with living costs.
    Listen to employees - some of them might just be smarter than you give them credit for.
    Promote/reward based on performance, not seniority, or who golfs with whom.
    Provide ACTUAL career pathing, goal setting, and advancement opportunities - don't just say they exist.
    Stop the politics, favoritism and back-biting.
    Walk the Walk - the company motto is a great one, if you'd just live up to it.

Most employees will say satisfied, but more just "ok" on the management side

Pros

Great people, great company values, great benefits, plenty of room to grow/continue as a non-manager

Cons

When getting into management, there is no clear management progression plan so it's hard to see your future growing in management

Put stronger management plans in place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life in JHA

Pros

Good company to work for, good people.

Cons

Poor career growth, sometimes feels very bureaucratic, slow moving.

Honest Review - The glory days are over for JHA

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

Pros

There are some intelligent employees (not management). If you are lucky you can work from home some. You get a laptop so you can work 24/7 from anywhere. If you invest, the company continues to break record profits quarter after quarter by keeping costs down.

Cons

Since all of the employees got an email pleading for reviews on glassdoor to boost the company reputation, I guess I should spend my evening doing so. They must realize it is getting harder to find skilled workers to come work here.
    Simply put, this company pays well below market average. If you decide to come work here, negotiate a good salary starting out or you will be stuck with a low salary the rest of your life here. If you ask for a promotion or inquire that you are not being paid for your skill set and performance, management does nothing. All promotions and favoritism are based purely off seniority of JHA years, not overall career experience.
    The annual review process takes 6 months from start to finish, and we still require self-appraisals. Although reminded that annual merit increases is optional for the company to give to employees, it barely covers the cost of living increases for inflation. Management here has no clue what is going on and is just a bunch of "my hands are tied" repeaters. You can never get an innovative idea to go anywhere, as we acquire companies rather that innovate.
    If you ask any tough questions to upper management, they say they will get back to you and you never hear a word.
    I am not sure who does our salary market analysis, but the evidence of high performers leaving and the struggle to hire skilled workers is enough to prove we do not pay well. Our strategy is to hire right out of college so we don't have to pay much. So if you are a college kid reading this you are in luck, apply now.
    Teams across the board are understaffed and management uses this strategy to keep costs low. This is how we can continue to beat profits quarter after quarter. They force employees to work longer hours to make up for hiring additional staff.
    We get reminded that we have the best benefits around, and that was true oh so 5 years ago. Times have changed and we have slipped a bit and other companies have caught up. They continue to use this response anytime they are asked why we pay so little.
    In summary, if you are a college kid or you don't care to get paid well or ever get promoted, JHA is a good place to work. You will learn a lot from the intelligent employees that have stuck around so far, and then you can use those skills in your career.

Clean house in middle management. If you continue to break profits quarter after quarter, give some rewards back to those high performing employees that got you there. Do a better job to distinguish the high performers from the employees who just collect a check. Listen to the ideas of the employees instead of marking it off as a bad idea. Hire a reputable firm to do salary reviews and pay more. Create a better system for promotions and salary adjustments if a high performer is underpaid instead of watching those employees leave.

Good pay and benefits, bad management

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing in Overland Park, KS

Pros

They pay well and have good benefits (though not as good as they were)

Cons

There is a lot of cronyism, and a lot of favoritism for employees in the headquarters. I actually warned someone not to work there, but he took the job anyway. 6 months later he had quit and told me that everything I had warned him about was true. I was actually able to go off of blood pressure medication within weeks of leaving because of the stress the people I had to work with caused.

Stale Technology, Old guard at the wheel

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

Pros

Decent employment benefits, the culture is not innovative. Very risk adverse to try new ideas or technologies.

Cons

Technology skills will become stale, no vision or innovation.

Old Guard needs to retire.

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

I LOVE WORKING HERE!

Pros

Many of the Pros are going to pertain specific to my job. Flexible hours, ability to work from home, extremely competitive salary, great team to work with/on, and excellent leadership in management.

Cons

I have been with JHA for over a year now and loved every minute of it. I know it doesn't sound possible, but there are no drawbacks.

I am well compensated for my position - and get 19 days off a year + all federal holidays. I personally wouldn't mind the responsibility of management or being promoted, but am very happy where I currently am and when my time comes I will be patiently waiting.

Recruiters Must Be Posting These 'GREAT Reviews'

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Benefits are very cheap. Jeans are acceptable. Given laptop to work from home if needed.

Cons

Pay, skills and experience gained throughout career is usless here, bait and switch review matches to the T, and lowest paid in industry. Seek out top employees and place them in a support role, promotions based off how long you have been with the company rather than experience.

Company makes millions of dollars per quarter as published to the public, why is the company paying the employees so low?

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!