Jack Henry & Associates

Updated October 9, 2014
3.6

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• flexible work (partial work from home), interesting tasks, fun coworkers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Data Center Upper Management bows down to application development/management (in 7 reviews)

• Yearly cost of living raises are barely that (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

All the great reviews are being posted by internal Recruiters

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still have good Benefits... That's it!

Cons

Absolutely the worst management on the planet. Top to bottom spend all of their time on escalation calls making plans for systems/software that they have no idea how it works/functions.

Most of the new hires are coming from Bank of America's castoffs. That in itself isn't a bad thing except for the fact that they have no experience working in the software business.

Along with the following:

No Career hopes/advancement
    Pay is horrible
    They hire anyone that will work for 12 bucks an hour think Mickey'D's one day project manager the next this isn't a joke!
    Development is chaos folks write whatever they want whenever they want.
    etc...

These are only the low points I could go on for days...

Sell the company to Bank of America you have the management in-place just pull the trigger...

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    I feel like I am part of a family
    I am a college student making more than any of my peers in the same field

Cons

I don't feel like there is much room for advancement in my department or even for lateral movement once I have graduated.

Communicate growth opportunity within the company. It is often difficult to find motivation to improve if the management team doesn't help provide those opportunities.

Company Falls Short in what they advertise for their average Employee

Current Employee - Management in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culture.

As a Manager, we have some of the hardest working team members I have ever had the pleasure to manage. They work hard, show effort, and put time into learning new technology and better ways to do their jobs literally, everyday. The environment is very friendly. Good relationship within everyone that I come in contact with.

Being Close to Headquarters in Monett, MO

Always a perk to be close to the headquarters of any company! Events such as barbecues and just random catering days, as well as free (paid donation) massages once a month on a random day of the week.

Cons

Benefits:

This company constantly pushes that their benefits make up for lower wages. This is, in fact, HIGHLY incorrect to anyone who knows the IT industry. As a manager, I can state that I know from industry standards that all of my team make at LEAST 20% lower then industry standard,some make much much less.

They will try to say that their 19 days vacation per year make up for this. Or their "Great" Health Insurance will cover this. (Bare in mind, the amount of coverage has drastically gone down, and the prices are going up so much that its becoming detrimental to some of my team members when other companies of our size have FREE health insurance or drastically cheaper). That's really all they have to offer in terms of benefits that make a difference in the day to day lives of any employee. The stock purchase discount option at 15% is fine, if you are planning on staying at the company your whole life. It has taken the stock 30 years to hit $50 dollars a share.

Now take in mind that you go to any place on the coast or out of the Midwest or anywhere really, that is the NORMAL for pretty much everyone IT based company. Jack Henry tries to represent themselves as a company where they do more for the average employee. Look at Google, look at Intuit, look at Lockheed. They all have these similar benefits and pay 20%-40% more then JHA ever will.

Compensation and Promotion:

A gain in either of these is pretty much legend within Jack Henry now a days. I can honestly say that every single guy on my team who has been here his Jack Henry 2 year minimum for promotions and raises deserve it. They DO NOT promote based on merit. I have basically not had a choice of when I can hand out promotions. They are allocated per department. And not on a yearly basis.

I am afraid that if our compensation as a whole does not increase in the near future, I will lose some very important members of my teams. As a middle manager my hands are tied. I can not just willingly give pay increases to anyone. It has to come down from upper management. Constantly I hear team members talking about our quarterly updates on company health. They always report record profits every quarter in excess of $100 million. I then always here the questions such as "How can we have yearly raises that are only 3%, when the company makes so much profit?"

I do not know how to answer these questions. I am fearful to find the answers for the culture at Jack Henry is to always entrust that "Good Ole Jack Has your Back". Questioning the companies earnings, regarding to pay is a question that I fear would be a resume generating event. And while we all want to be payed more, our hands are tied. A low paying Job is better then no Job.

I have been at this company years. Promotions for the average employee were very much a real tangible thing in every department - about 5 years ago. The company in it's present would rather higher externally, the promote from within. One to save money. Two because fresh faces don't question things which they do not understand. I have yet in my time at Jack Henry, see anyone start from a standard engineering position to be promoted to anything more then a slight title change. (Title Change Promotions do not generally mean pay raises, I still can not wrap my head around that one) No one in any of my direct connections that I know has gone from team member to management. Every Management position has been hired externally. My team members want to have opportunities, I try my best to give it to them but again, as a middle manager, I have only slightly more power then my basic team member.

Overall:

The people work hard. There is just not much to offer to the average employee then the daily grind. Jack Henry has to know by now that they are not paying their employees enough. Whenever multiple engineers with 4-5 years of experience have to get a second job to pay their bills, something is wrong. I feel as though Jack Henry is wasting good talent, Just last week a Veteran in corporate operations that was a DIRECTOR, started a department from the ground up left the company to work for a larger IT company based in St.Louis. If that isn't a red flag, I don't know what else is.

We as the General Population at Jack Henry want some type of explanation as to why we are paid so little while we keep making record profits?

I am a Manager, and I have to state these things behind a wall of anonymity for fear of loosing my job for questioning Jack Henry, tell me why I shouldn't have to do this?

The more questions go unanswered the more that my team members lose moral, or any hope of advancing with Jack Henry. What is your strategy to keep the new generation of IT professionals interested in working for Jack Henry compared to any other major corporation?

We make more then enough money as a company to keep record profits, yet we do not pay enough to keep around even veterans of the company, I want a explanation of this.

Great People, dated work environment, work processes, and application design

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Benefits are OK
    Great people
    Seem to care about their people

Cons

Like working for a company in year 2000
    Scrumbug - teams are not co-located, no product owners, not truly Agile Scrum, not even close
    Application design is dated, reinvent the wheel, old legacy code trying to move to new, Code moving from 80s to late 90s design, it is year 2014.
    Not an exciting place to work, bored to death
    Not innovated
    Place for retirees to come, finishing your final years.

Come into year 2014

Seven year itch.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people. Good benefits. Multiple locations allow the ability to relocate.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, you will still get passed up for promotions. The hiring of friends or outsiders that are recommended happens a lot.

Utilize the great talent you have in house before searching elsewhere.

M'eh

Current Employee - SQL Support in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - SQL Support in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Benefits are nice. Not a huge hassle to get time off. Lots to learn and lots of skills to gain. Work from home.

Cons

No training. Typical "big company" mentality. very little preparation to actually do your job. The people who work the hardest get the shortest end of the stick.

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for training and growth. They live by their motto Do The Right Thing, Do What it Takes and Have Fun. One of the Top 100 Places to Work.

Cons

Always more stuff to do than you have time for. Headcount and load are always in need of balancing. Some people end up working all the time (after hours).

A good company trying to adjust to its ever increasing size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, nice people to work with, decent technology, in the lucrative banking software market, competition is there but not killer, high cost to switch to other vendors insulates us quite a bit (this is both good and bad)and banks always have money to pay their bills.

Cons

Some parts are quite well run and other parts are stunningly insulated from true accountability. In general new large scale IT system development is done very poorly. Have seen projects go past their intended end dates by years (due to poor management) and no one is held accountable (at all). But, the handwriting is on the wall that this will be changing in the near future. Kudos for that.
    Career advancement ranks with glacial movement as to speed. If you haven't been their five or ten years forget about moving up. Many times retirement and death are your only openings. And I'm not kidding about this.

Be tougher on people who underperform or who have projects that go over by years. Right now you're letting them slide. In most other areas I think you're doing a good job. And on a side note, pay the Exec's a little bit more (no I'm not one of them) and kick in a bonus program for the rest of us. You are a billion dollar company now so start spreading some of the wealth. Your competition does and they keep calling me. One day I may slip and say 'OK' .
    Find someway to allow for more career advancement for your employees - else the best ones will leave. If you won't allow your best people to move up in a timely manner, a lot of other companies will.

Most employees will say satisfied, but more just "ok" on the management side

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great company values, great benefits, plenty of room to grow/continue as a non-manager

Cons

When getting into management, there is no clear management progression plan so it's hard to see your future growing in management

Put stronger management plans in place.

Jack Henry & Associates Photos