Jack Henry & Associates

Updated January 22, 2015
3.6

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• flexible work (partial work from home), interesting tasks, fun coworkers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Data Center Upper Management bows down to application development/management (in 7 reviews)

• Yearly cost of living raises are barely that (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It seems they have trouble embracing their stated values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits, causal dress, good facility

Cons

disorganized, cumbersome tools, training is not standard

embrace process improvement

Great People, dated work environment, work processes, and application design

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Benefits are OK
    Great people
    Seem to care about their people

Cons

Like working for a company in year 2000
    Scrumbug - teams are not co-located, no product owners, not truly Agile Scrum, not even close
    Application design is dated, reinvent the wheel, old legacy code trying to move to new, Code moving from 80s to late 90s design, it is year 2014.
    Not an exciting place to work, bored to death
    Not innovated
    Place for retirees to come, finishing your final years.

Come into year 2014

Seven year itch.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people. Good benefits. Multiple locations allow the ability to relocate.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, you will still get passed up for promotions. The hiring of friends or outsiders that are recommended happens a lot.

Utilize the great talent you have in house before searching elsewhere.

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

If you are a dedicated employee and have pride in your efforts, you will love working here!

Current Employee - Management in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Management in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a long-term employee of the company, I have seen my income, and career progress in exciting ways! Management truly cares about employees and the customers we serve, and conveys a sense of always considering alternatives when evaluating internal and external decisions.

Cons

The biggest challenges is people that would rather complain than contribute to the company or team success. Honestly, there are plenty of other places to work. If you have cause for concern or complaint, then please get out of our company. We would much rather work along side of someone that wants to be here and has pride in our company and solutions. Let's be honest... if you gave this company a single-star rating or wouldn't recommend working here, you probably are an 8-to-5 employee that is doing the bare minimum and fear a forced departure any day now anyway.

Don't allow sub-standard employees to remain in our midst. Develop a clear career-progression path for employees that aim to succeed.

Currently working at my favorite company

Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Ethical management decisions, very competitive benefits, and a great workplace environment. JHA was my brass-ring before I got here, and they have proven, close to a decade later, to still be my favorite company. They respect hard work, customer service, ethical decision-making, and a common passion for excellence. They really stand by their mission, and continue to reinforce "Do the Right Think, Do Whatever It Takes, and Have Fun."

Cons

Following the industry, benefits have tightened up. Certain departments have been known to hold onto the "dead weight" people for too long, but this patience with under-performers COULD be considered "a positive," depending on what side of the fence the person is on.

I advise to keep up ethical decision-making, opportunities for advancement, and advancing the company. Not all managers are leaders, and I advise that upper managers continue to help train managers, who want to grow into great leaders.

A good company trying to adjust to its ever increasing size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monett, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, nice people to work with, decent technology, in the lucrative banking software market, competition is there but not killer, high cost to switch to other vendors insulates us quite a bit (this is both good and bad)and banks always have money to pay their bills.

Cons

Some parts are quite well run and other parts are stunningly insulated from true accountability. In general new large scale IT system development is done very poorly. Have seen projects go past their intended end dates by years (due to poor management) and no one is held accountable (at all). But, the handwriting is on the wall that this will be changing in the near future. Kudos for that.
    Career advancement ranks with glacial movement as to speed. If you haven't been their five or ten years forget about moving up. Many times retirement and death are your only openings. And I'm not kidding about this.

Be tougher on people who underperform or who have projects that go over by years. Right now you're letting them slide. In most other areas I think you're doing a good job. And on a side note, pay the Exec's a little bit more (no I'm not one of them) and kick in a bonus program for the rest of us. You are a billion dollar company now so start spreading some of the wealth. Your competition does and they keep calling me. One day I may slip and say 'OK' .
    Find someway to allow for more career advancement for your employees - else the best ones will leave. If you won't allow your best people to move up in a timely manner, a lot of other companies will.

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    I feel like I am part of a family
    I am a college student making more than any of my peers in the same field

Cons

I don't feel like there is much room for advancement in my department or even for lateral movement once I have graduated.

Communicate growth opportunity within the company. It is often difficult to find motivation to improve if the management team doesn't help provide those opportunities.

Most employees will say satisfied, but more just "ok" on the management side

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great company values, great benefits, plenty of room to grow/continue as a non-manager

Cons

When getting into management, there is no clear management progression plan so it's hard to see your future growing in management

Put stronger management plans in place.

I LOVE WORKING HERE!

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the Pros are going to pertain specific to my job. Flexible hours, ability to work from home, extremely competitive salary, great team to work with/on, and excellent leadership in management.

Cons

I have been with JHA for over a year now and loved every minute of it. I know it doesn't sound possible, but there are no drawbacks.

I am well compensated for my position - and get 19 days off a year + all federal holidays. I personally wouldn't mind the responsibility of management or being promoted, but am very happy where I currently am and when my time comes I will be patiently waiting.

Jack Henry & Associates Photos