Jack Henry & Associates

Employer Engaged

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Implementation Support in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    I feel like I am part of a family
    I am a college student making more than any of my peers in the same field

Cons

I don't feel like there is much room for advancement in my department or even for lateral movement once I have graduated.

Communicate growth opportunity within the company. It is often difficult to find motivation to improve if the management team doesn't help provide those opportunities.

Most employees will say satisfied, but more just "ok" on the management side

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great company values, great benefits, plenty of room to grow/continue as a non-manager

Cons

When getting into management, there is no clear management progression plan so it's hard to see your future growing in management

Put stronger management plans in place.

Seven year itch.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people. Good benefits. Multiple locations allow the ability to relocate.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, you will still get passed up for promotions. The hiring of friends or outsiders that are recommended happens a lot.

Utilize the great talent you have in house before searching elsewhere.

M'eh

Current Employee - SQL Support in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - SQL Support in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Benefits are nice. Not a huge hassle to get time off. Lots to learn and lots of skills to gain. Work from home.

Cons

No training. Typical "big company" mentality. very little preparation to actually do your job. The people who work the hardest get the shortest end of the stick.

Honest Review - The glory days are over for JHA

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some intelligent employees (not management). If you are lucky you can work from home some. You get a laptop so you can work 24/7 from anywhere. If you invest, the company continues to break record profits quarter after quarter by keeping costs down.

Cons

Since all of the employees got an email pleading for reviews on glassdoor to boost the company reputation, I guess I should spend my evening doing so. They must realize it is getting harder to find skilled workers to come work here.
    Simply put, this company pays well below market average. If you decide to come work here, negotiate a good salary starting out or you will be stuck with a low salary the rest of your life here. If you ask for a promotion or inquire that you are not being paid for your skill set and performance, management does nothing. All promotions and favoritism are based purely off seniority of JHA years, not overall career experience.
    The annual review process takes 6 months from start to finish, and we still require self-appraisals. Although reminded that annual merit increases is optional for the company to give to employees, it barely covers the cost of living increases for inflation. Management here has no clue what is going on and is just a bunch of "my hands are tied" repeaters. You can never get an innovative idea to go anywhere, as we acquire companies rather that innovate.
    If you ask any tough questions to upper management, they say they will get back to you and you never hear a word.
    I am not sure who does our salary market analysis, but the evidence of high performers leaving and the struggle to hire skilled workers is enough to prove we do not pay well. Our strategy is to hire right out of college so we don't have to pay much. So if you are a college kid reading this you are in luck, apply now.
    Teams across the board are understaffed and management uses this strategy to keep costs low. This is how we can continue to beat profits quarter after quarter. They force employees to work longer hours to make up for hiring additional staff.
    We get reminded that we have the best benefits around, and that was true oh so 5 years ago. Times have changed and we have slipped a bit and other companies have caught up. They continue to use this response anytime they are asked why we pay so little.
    In summary, if you are a college kid or you don't care to get paid well or ever get promoted, JHA is a good place to work. You will learn a lot from the intelligent employees that have stuck around so far, and then you can use those skills in your career.

Clean house in middle management. If you continue to break profits quarter after quarter, give some rewards back to those high performing employees that got you there. Do a better job to distinguish the high performers from the employees who just collect a check. Listen to the ideas of the employees instead of marking it off as a bad idea. Hire a reputable firm to do salary reviews and pay more. Create a better system for promotions and salary adjustments if a high performer is underpaid instead of watching those employees leave.

Good pay and benefits, bad management

Current Employee - Marketing in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They pay well and have good benefits (though not as good as they were)

Cons

There is a lot of cronyism, and a lot of favoritism for employees in the headquarters. I actually warned someone not to work there, but he took the job anyway. 6 months later he had quit and told me that everything I had warned him about was true. I was actually able to go off of blood pressure medication within weeks of leaving because of the stress the people I had to work with caused.

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

Life in JHA

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Good company to work for, good people.

Cons

Poor career growth, sometimes feels very bureaucratic, slow moving.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems/Network Administrator

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for training and growth. They live by their motto Do The Right Thing, Do What it Takes and Have Fun. One of the Top 100 Places to Work.

Cons

Always more stuff to do than you have time for. Headcount and load are always in need of balancing. Some people end up working all the time (after hours).

I LOVE WORKING HERE!

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the Pros are going to pertain specific to my job. Flexible hours, ability to work from home, extremely competitive salary, great team to work with/on, and excellent leadership in management.

Cons

I have been with JHA for over a year now and loved every minute of it. I know it doesn't sound possible, but there are no drawbacks.

I am well compensated for my position - and get 19 days off a year + all federal holidays. I personally wouldn't mind the responsibility of management or being promoted, but am very happy where I currently am and when my time comes I will be patiently waiting.

Jack Henry & Associates Photos