Jack Henry & Associates Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Programmer Analyst

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits . . . .

Cons

None . . . . . .

Salaries are a Joke

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Monett, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Monett, MO

Pros

Great company culture, 19+ vacation days It's pretty relaxed most of the time. Some departments have great managers.

Cons

People are leaving left and right. Not due to the actual job, or culture, but because of the pay. Employees in locations not in MAJOR citys (majority of all employees as headquarters is in a tiny town an hour from the nearist city over 100K people) make on average at east 20% below market. They do this to save money for their record profits. Just FYI to anyone applying here, starting pay for a basic Engineering position, that requires years of experience does not even pay 50k a year unless you are the top on your team. While this company is pretty good to work for. They take advantage of employees for their own benefits. Also if you want to relocate, your pay should increase depending on where you want to relocate. There are some places you are not "approved to move" because JHA would have to up your paygrade enough for cost of living in that area. Lots of promotions are announced, but most all are lateral. Just because you get a promotion, it does not mean a increase in pay neceesarily, it's states it in our handbook. We have almost 6,000 employees, create software for financial institutions, and make record profits every single quarter, with revenue over $1,000,000,000 every year. Yet they can't take care of their employees. Health care for basic Dental, Life, and Health, for myself and a Dependant is around $150 a month. The same price it would be anywhere else I worked in the country. How does that figure into cost of living? It also went up 20% in this past year while my salary went up a very small fraction of that.

Advice to Management

JHA needs to come into the 21st Century. Right now they look like Microsoft trying to catch up to Apple. JHA is still on the Zune, when we are good enough to be the Ipod. Pick up new technologies, hire more tecnically inclinded workers. Look to how even bigger companies run their organizations, such as Lockeed, Intuit, Facebook. The excuse of we are two big, or we are too small, or we have to run a certain way are all excuses. There are companies out there much larger, smaller; companies with more sensative data then us, that pay and run way more efficiently. Right now this company runs efficiently for the few at the top, the board, and those heavily invested in the company. Invest in your workers or workers will invest their skills somewhere else. Pay your employees market, Cover Healthcare, hire technical, not someone that can fan your egos.

Call center

Pros

Good benefits, good people to work with

Cons

Salaries! JHA is all about making money but they do not compensate their employees. You can only get raises once a year and it's based on percentages. Even if your boss thinks you deserve more, you won't get it.

Advice to Management

Pay employees and compete with the market...in Seattle people can work at McDonald's now and make almost the same thing entry level employees here make.

It's OK

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are all right, not great but not terrible either. Relaxed atmosphere. Great coworkers. A descent job that's close to my home town. Ability to work remote.

Cons

Pay is low. Advancement is impossible. Decisions are frequently made by upper management that vastly affect us or our products with no input from us. Expectations that you are available 24/7. Higher education gets you nothing except for more student loan payments. I have a graduate degree in my field and I can't even get an interview for internal positions. Rarely they give out bonuses and when they do you can just about guarantee raises will be lower to compensate for the bonus. Which in the long run saves the company money but gets me no where.

Advice to Management

I really do like this company, I read a few reviews about terrible management but I personally haven't experienced that. Currently there is not a talent retention and advancement policy that I am aware of, heck I can't even inform JHA that my education level has changed since I started here many years ago so even if you were looking for internal candidates you wouldn't be able to find them unless they applied for the posting and then again get an interview. This company irritates me because when I started things were a lot different. Now JHA holds no advantage over any othe mid-sized IT company. I have considered leaving on numerous occasions but stayed. I tell myself that JHA is safe but in the end it's just a trap to keep me here. I am on the edge of being ready to move on even if it means I'll have to relocate. There are others in my same position with less or more personal responsibilities too. I would love to stay but I doubt things will get any better. I would recommend working on the 3% raises first, if I hear that I got a 3% raise after scoring > 4 I'm gonna probably apply for any available position within th US and see what happens.

Fantastic place to be for anyone seeking a 'career'. Not for "McDonalds mentality" workers.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, while could be better, anything could be better. For the cost associated compared to what you get, JHA's benefits are quite good. Flexibility - JHA is extremely flexible with employees with regard to telecommuting or permanent 'remote' status. Competitive - JHA is very competitive in the marketplace in all aspects. While multiple reviews have outlined less benefits and low pay; as a senior manager for the company (but not an executive level manager, to be clear), we have management models and training and we have a model we follow: "C=C" (compensation = contribution). If you work your tail off and 'smarter not harder', find efficiencies and cement yourself (in whatever role you fill) as "the go-to person" which only requires your determination to be excellent, you'll be compensated more than fairly, if not quite well. Advancement - speaking from experience as someone who entered this company ~10 years ago making $30k/yr, I worked my tail off and became that "go to" person and had numerous situations present themselves to me to better myself. I took those opportunities and 10 years later I'm pulling down 6 figures. Gosh, that's horrible. All it took was dedication to providing quality in everything I do and asking a lot (a ton!) of questions. If you settle you'll be unhappy or 'so so' anywhere; challenge process, improve process and product and the sky is the limit. Truly.

Cons

With any larger business there are things behind the scenes that govern direction, movement, and decisions. Of course the almighty dollar drives many of those; good, bad, or indifferent. As such, sometimes what the management levels see and convey differs greatly from what the people in the trenches see/feel/want and that can, and often does, lead to a tug & pull with the end result being the front-line staff feel overworked/pressured while the the executive levels are trying very hard to ensure that the company turns profits and high margins for our shareholders and customers. Some years we are able to relax on that a tad over other years, depending upon the market, but from sitting in both management and front-line roles within the company I have a pretty good view on what's happening, and why, and it makes sense. Show me a company that doesn't have this problem and I'll show you a company that's destined to fail.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead the company into the future with innovation without losing sight of who we are as a culture/company, our founders, and why we are who we are. Continue to be open-minded about areas for change and really weigh the need for change and effort to get there to the cost (in hard cost and resource time) to get there; sometimes we make changes for the better with our hearts in the right place but the end result feels more like busy work without a lot of bang for the buck at the finish line. Overall, great job.

7. Stable company but with has a few internal problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stable and you can count on getting off work on time week after week. Rarely have weekends interrupted for work related issues. A lot of freedom given in how you work and solve problems, do your job correctly and no one breathes down your neck about how you do it. Very fair with raises and compensation. Get your work done and you get rewarded when reviews come around.

Cons

Paid Time Off policy leaves a lot to be desired especially if less than 5 years with the company. Management seems to change direction a lot leading to the feeling like your not making any progress. The Pro I listed about freedom in how you solve problems is somewhat reversed by some of the senior development management and groups in Monett as they like to tell you how and what you can use to make your software. While they may provide a solution to how to solve your problem its never the optimal way to do it and they force it anyway. It can be frustrating as these groups stand upon their ivory tower tossing down solutions when they don't fully understand the problems. Leads to a lot of wasted time solving simple problems. Job Title advancement gets blocked indiscriminately for an entire office, despite that there are people who deserve a promotion.

Advice to Management

Improve the time off policy. Have the IDG/EAG development groups provide solutions and not problems. My advice to these groups would be to start interviewing the people consuming their products and improving them based on comments. As of now they seem like they are interested in input on how their products work. If they make programming even harder and slow it down for others in the company then what is the purpose of them?

Flexible but advancement opportunities are rare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of time off, fun environment. Overall leadership is strong.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are rare. Middle management is incompetent. Raises are small. Higher education does not increase pay.

Solid company for the long run.

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities in the company. JHA is ran very well and have successfully led the company through some very difficult hard times within the financial industry, and all without any layoffs. Benefits are well above average and the PTO program is really good.

Cons

Work-life balanced is encouraged, but like most companies you are not actually able to execute the balance due to the workload or travel that is required to complete projects or tasks.

THE WORST and most disorganized management I have EVER worked for!

Current Employee - Item Processor II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Item Processor II in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The benefits are good and coworkers are okay. The work is very simple for the pay.

Cons

Management is very disorganized and very unprofessional. Management does not make sound decisions based on business needs but are based on how the manager feels. Favoritism occurs alot!

Advice to Management

Decisions should be based on what the business needs are at that moment and for future reference. Stop wearing your feelings on your sleeves! That's a good way to make dumb decisions!

11. Great company adjusting to explosive growth

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

The leadership does have a commitment to their clients.

Cons

the bank software business is stressful

RSS Feed </> Embed