Jack in the Box

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Leonard A. Comma

Pros
  • fast paced theres always something to do (in 12 reviews)

• 80% of the workers are obese because of the free food (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gives "lip service" they don't practice what they preach (in 12 reviews)

• long hours of standing on feet, rude customers, eager managers, look out for guest shoppers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Jack was, intially, awesome. Not so great after some management changes.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great salaries, great people.

Cons

Work life balance was difficult.

Shift Manager (Team Leader)

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compared to most fast food restaurant, JITB does pay a bit better. In Louisiana, most fast food companies start employees at a hourly wage of $7.25. At JITB, the hourly wage for starting team members is .=$0.20 higher.

Jack In The Box is an okay job for youngsters starting out wit a job. My advice to ANYONE in the fast food industry is to work hard and may your way to become a shift manager. Work as a shift manager for 2 years or so...THEN LEAVE THE FAST FOOD INDUSTRY. DO NOT STAY!!

Cons

Over worked
    Under payed
    Unprofessional co-workers
    Maintenance and restaurant up keep.
    Hierarchy and favoritism was definitely carried out by employers and managers.

Excellent company and culture!

Former Employee - Senior Security Administration Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Security Administration Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company values their employees and offers classes for professional growth. Focused on employee appreciation giving the overall company environment a pleasant place to work.

Excellent bonuses once our department goals were met. The culture is very relaxed and causal but also driven to succeed everyday in innovation.

Involved in the community and is known for the commitment to give back and support others who need help.

Cons

Not willing to let go of the old ways and move forward in developing better and more effective ways to accomplish a stable internal infrastructure.

Doesn't take risks to improved applications or computer equipment in a timely manner. The model is "keep the lights on" if nothing is broken. In my opinion this inhibits growth as a company.

Upper management needs to work with their respective teams in each department and allow other ideas a chance.

Some managers have been at the company for 30+ years and are comfortable with their ways.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Work Meets Bad

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Parker, CO
    Former Employee - Team Member in Parker, CO

I worked at Jack in the Box part-time for less than a year

Pros

At Jack in the box I was able to work as much as I wanted, or as much as I didn't want to. They gave me choices for my hours and I could stay later if I wanted. I learned a lot of different things fast!! It was a good experience and they promote you if you work hard!

Cons

The only problem was how many store managers my store went through. I worked there for only 5 months and we went through 6 store managers. The last one was the worst, but everyone before that would understand any problem you had or anything. 1 rotten egg out of 6 is pretty good if you ask me.

I'd defiantly try to watch for young people who work hard and are always on time for raises. I worked for a little and was always on time, did everything I was asked and never complained. I learned every task and would help new people learn them as well. Someone else got promoted who wasn't on time and sometimes didn't even show up for a shift and usually I'd be the one who had to cover it.

General Manager for several years

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Given an opportunity to accel with facilities that are good but desperately need updating....I would highly recommend that the franchisee spending some money to update the operations.

Cons

The culture under the present franchisee is not what it was when the restaurants were corporately owned. There is positively no work life balance for the in store management team.

Update your facilities and try to grow the business instead of squeezing it for every dollar....

It was great, the emplyees were very helpful & I wouldn't mind returning.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time for less than a year

Pros

The different promotions as well as the old. Meeting different people & learning new things.

Cons

The team leader & mgmt miscommunication

Visit the store more often & talk to Everybody

It is a stressful envirornment

Current Employee - Cashier, Shift Leader  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier, Shift Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can move up in the company pretty quickly,which is good financially.

Cons

They don't value the employees like they should,At times I would work an 11 hour shift with no break.While there is opportunity to grow,they don't properly train you for the job.

More organization,better treatment of employees

Hard work, but its fast food!

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Jack in the Box for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything goes by really fast. Time flies and none of the jobs are hard to do. Its very easy, just fast paced. I did this while I was in college and they worked with my schedule and kept money in my pocket.

Cons

Customers cand be demanding and overbearing. Your management team will strongly affect your work experience. Schedules are made a week at a time, so hard to plan your life in advance. Very diffcult when short handed but not impossible, usually if you explain to customers and give them quality food they will give you some slack. But of course there is always THAT customer. Hard to move past team lead if you are in school, they pressured me to leave school to move forward so I could have open availability.

Dont change menu so often and synchronize menu offerings across markets.

One of San Diego's Best!

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Jack in the Box full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, great employee services, relaxed but professional work environment. Employees are committed to doing a good job. The culture is all about doing the right thing for the guest. Great place to work.

Cons

Staffing is currently very lean. Hard to find answers or assistance. People are working hard/long trying to keep things afloat.

Tribal knowledge is priceless, be careful not to let too much of it walk out the door. Work on morale, reassure your employees that they are important and valued.

Good

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Cashier in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time

Pros

Friendly and fun people to work with.

Cons

Trying to keep times down as much as possible.

Keep your word on things.

Jack in the Box Photos

Entrance to the Jack in the Box headquarter office in San Diego, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.61)
Corporate headquarters
jack in the box

+ Add Photo

Worked for Jack in the Box? Contribute to the Community!