Jackson Hewitt

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jackson Hewitt President & CEO Philip H. Sanford

Philip H. Sanford

Pros
  • you learn a lot of new thing in depth related to taxes (in 10 reviews)

• Learning basic tax preparation skills, flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a seasonal job so you will be employed a short time (in 9 reviews)

• Very very low pay scale for the amount of responsibility given to each Tax preparer (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to get experience in the industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsGood pay, long hours. Informative company, gives you lots of tools to succeed. Room for advancement if you want it.

ConsStressful. May be expected to work longer hours then you may want too. Company may expect to much of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the culture of every area that you employ. One size does not fit all.

Was a great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company with excellent benefits

ConsThe current CEO is horrible and all the franchisees hate him

I enjoyed working with clients, answering all of their questions, calming their fears and concerns.

Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee)

ProsThe constant flow of people coming by.

ConsSometimes there was some building interferance with the internet, but worked through it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great seasonal job

ProsGood company for student or part time job people. They offer competitive pay and usually 40 hours a week. It is a good job for those who like to meet a variety of people with different backgrounds.

ConsBonus structure has some need of improvement. It seems that what I thought I would receive was no where close to what I actually earned with the 28% taxes withheld. Also, the constant decorating is somewhat redundant.

Excellent experience!

Senior Tax Preparer (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsIt is a great way to learn the tax system and to provide knowledge to a diverse mix of clientele. Jackson Hewitt does a complete training program with the rules and regulations of the IRS. JH is very supportive during the madness of tax season!

ConsThe main con it is a seasonal job. Too bad it cannot be year round. Most tax clients would complain about the prices but they don't realize the complexity of doing a tax return. The knowledge you have to have is not cheap in obtaining which has to be done yearly. Then add to the fact you have to pay overhead expenses on a office that is usually open for only 5 months out of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better incentive programs for the seasonal employees that remain loyal year after year.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great seasonal job.

Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsLearn a lot, meet a lot of interesting people. Job can be challenging at times in a good way.

ConsPay could be better for this type of work. Not much personal growth there. Seasonal work. Sometimes better managers would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter commission. Listen to employees suggestions.

Good for one season

Tax Professional (Former Employee)

ProsGreat experience doing taxes and working with the general public preparing tax returns and helping people resolve their tax issues.

ConsPay is very poor, especially given the amount of responsibilities associated with preparing correctly individual tax returns. Also, they tend to keep marginal tax preparers on staff too long, probably due to the low pay and the very small pool of people willing to work for those wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more pay, during the season, or greater incentives.

great teamwork, and fun co-workers

Tax Preparer (Former Employee)

ProsLearning basic tax preparation skills, flexible hours

Consnot enough training. Customers would question our abilities as tax preparers.

Great second job

Tax Preparer (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsMeet different people daily and interact with all kinds of personalities.
    Ensure accurate tax preparation.
    Nice secondary income to assist with bills.
    The pay should be more than minimum wage for the amount of work involved in preparing tax returns for customers.

ConsNot enough pay for the amount of work that the positions associated with preparing taxes.
    Should be payed training due to the extent of the learning content.

Short lived

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved my boss and my team. Good compensation and benefits.

ConsNo culture. High turn-over of CEO's, last CEO did a huge lay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect more with employees, communicate more of what is internally happening. Create a culture.

Worked for Jackson Hewitt? Contribute to the Community!