Jackson Hewitt

Updated October 23, 2014
3.5

Jackson Hewitt President & CEO Philip H. Sanford
Philip H. Sanford

Pros
  • you learn a lot of new thing in depth related to taxes (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always leaving when scheduled off, low pay (in 10 reviews)

• This is a seasonal job so you will be employed a short time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

exciting

Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people with problem they have

Cons

No comment right now the job is alright for part time work.

JH can't benefit from long term excellence if they don't look inside franchises for long term employees!

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

First of all allow me to tell you all that if you learn the right questions to ask your customers "They will absolutely keep coming back every year". Customers need to feel comfortable with their tax person, knowing what to ask and what to have them bring along to their appointment will be a rewarding experience for the both of you! JH General Managers promote from within in the franchise. The upper management in the franchise will cover a shift for you if you need them too. Corporate contests for employees are available if you have the initiative to involve yourself. You can learn on a constant basis during the season. If you only want to work from January to April this can be a perfect experience. The franchises usually have employees come back year after year.

Cons

After reaching an Office Manager position unless someone retires in the franchise there isn't anywhere to move up. There aren't any health benefits, and the salary really doesn't match the responsibility of the position.

I learned a great deal of my leadership skills working in a JH franchise. People that return year after year, giving their all to JH are the people that should be sent up the ladder to corporate positions.
    And to Corporate Officers and Managers you should be on the lookout for those people because they can provide great leadership, training and support to your franchised offices and owners

great part-time seasonal job

Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Very flexible work schedule, works great for someone that has a full time job and just want something part-time to earn extra money. Good training class and continuing education.

Cons

The hourly pay could be better. I did not make much on the commission because of the hours I worked the store was not very busy, so did not have as many client's as someone working days.

Great place to work

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, excellent communication from management, fun and fast paced.

Cons

Most employment is only seasonal.

Lesson Learn

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Houston, TX

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance and personal growth. Training is awesome and pay is great with the bonuses!

Cons

Being the middle man is hard! It s hard to deliver a affordable service so you lose clients because of it.

Not as excited

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Denver, CO

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were very flexible and they try to place you close to home. The customers that received refunds were quite pleasant.

Cons

You have to pay for training materials. Upper Management do not hold themselves accountable and can be very unprofessional at times.

Recognize the job you are asking people to do for the same wages as fast food workers and address the pay rate accordingly.

Tax Professional

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant networking, meeting new people. Great source of income to have on the side.

Cons

There is a lot of work that gets done during the busy time of tax. I feel that overall hourly pay/commission bonus amounts can be better.

Great people, poor pay

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and excellent training all provided free of charge to employees. Not too many hours unless you are a manager.

Cons

Not always leaving when scheduled off, low pay. Only paid 8.25 per hour to prepare tax returns. As a client I would feel uncomfortable if I knew the pay was this low because it indicates lack of confidence in preparers abilities.

Pay your employees more and there likely won't be such a high turnover rate. Also offer top performing employees the option of working year round developing business ideas and prospecting future students.

Tax preparer

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time. Got the chance to learn a lot about clients and tax work.

Cons

Low paid. Very poor management and training. Overcharging customer if they have kids and will receive the earned income credit.

Tax Preparer

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Ames, IA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has a good training program and teaches you a lot of responsibility. It was fun to work with new people that came in the door and needed their taxes prepared.

Cons

The overall support was lacking in the office I worked at. While we did have online support tools, if you came across a unique situation in which you were not 100% comfortable with, you gave it your best effort. It did help you develop decisiveness and ultimately I ended up getting a lot of value out of those experiences but was stressful in the moment.