Jackson Hewitt

Updated November 25, 2014
3.5

Jackson Hewitt President & CEO Philip H. Sanford
Philip H. Sanford

Pros
  • you learn a lot of new thing in depth related to taxes (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a low pay structure for experienced preparers with returning clients and complicated returns (in 10 reviews)

• This is a seasonal job so you will be employed a short time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great seasonal job !!!

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Seasonal, most can easily return each tax season for continued employment.

Cons

Pushed very hard to keep the customer at any cost up to and even trying to keep the customer documents.

Good part time job for students

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and locations
    pretty easy to do the job and often there is free time
    Depending on location, there are always interesting stories that you come home with

Cons

Clientele is not the most sophisticated, to say the least.
    Preparers often don't know what is going on, or don't complete tax returns in the most beneficial way.

I guess it is good for what management is trying to do.
    But they could try to pick a more qualified and better trained staff.

overall good experience 3 out of 5 stars

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time

Pros

good people that work in the headquarters learn to work together alot

Cons

No career paths, turnover rate is high

Worked here for 9 years

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Highland Park, MI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Highland Park, MI

I worked at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working here over the years have given me the necessary skills that I need to complete a knowledgeable tax return. It's a great place to have a part time or second job, but when "Peak Season" is over, your paycheck will suffer.

Cons

The pay does not at all reflect the level of knowledge and expertise of the Tax Preparer. I started out in 2006 making $8.25 per hour, and 9 years later I am only making $9.25 per hour. I know that if I was a client, this would reflect a lack of confidence in the employees, and I would take my business elsewhere. I would like for the Corporate Employees to come into the urban cities, and work in the conditions that we work in, and then they can tell me if I make enough money for my skills.

Learn to recognize, appreciate, and reward the employees who bust their hinds to make your company run smoother. While you are there in a corporate office with a view, collecting your salaried pay, the hourly employees who work in less than attractive storefronts and kiosks go above and beyond to make this company run smooth, and to ensure that your paycheck is a full one, while we receive the pennies. Ponder that for a while...We have families to take care of too.

exciting

Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people with problem they have

Cons

No comment right now the job is alright for part time work.

JH can't benefit from long term excellence if they don't look inside franchises for long term employees!

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

First of all allow me to tell you all that if you learn the right questions to ask your customers "They will absolutely keep coming back every year". Customers need to feel comfortable with their tax person, knowing what to ask and what to have them bring along to their appointment will be a rewarding experience for the both of you! JH General Managers promote from within in the franchise. The upper management in the franchise will cover a shift for you if you need them too. Corporate contests for employees are available if you have the initiative to involve yourself. You can learn on a constant basis during the season. If you only want to work from January to April this can be a perfect experience. The franchises usually have employees come back year after year.

Cons

After reaching an Office Manager position unless someone retires in the franchise there isn't anywhere to move up. There aren't any health benefits, and the salary really doesn't match the responsibility of the position.

I learned a great deal of my leadership skills working in a JH franchise. People that return year after year, giving their all to JH are the people that should be sent up the ladder to corporate positions.
    And to Corporate Officers and Managers you should be on the lookout for those people because they can provide great leadership, training and support to your franchised offices and owners

great part-time seasonal job

Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Very flexible work schedule, works great for someone that has a full time job and just want something part-time to earn extra money. Good training class and continuing education.

Cons

The hourly pay could be better. I did not make much on the commission because of the hours I worked the store was not very busy, so did not have as many client's as someone working days.

Great place to work

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, excellent communication from management, fun and fast paced.

Cons

Most employment is only seasonal.

Lesson Learn

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Houston, TX

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance and personal growth. Training is awesome and pay is great with the bonuses!

Cons

Being the middle man is hard! It s hard to deliver a affordable service so you lose clients because of it.

Terrible working environment

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Comfortable training environment, but that's because for the most part they hire a bunch of people who've never had jobs before and it feels like someone's living room.

Cons

Office politics galore, poor training, unprofessional management, absurd compensation, plays favorites, ridiculous hours, ghetto offices, ghetto clients, ghetto employees - who's noticing a pattern here?

When someone takes your courses and is literally the only person never late or absent and scores the highest on each of your tests, don't give more hours to everyone else. And ESPECIALLY don't attempt to put an unprofessional bimbo in some position of psuedo authority.