Jackson Hewitt

Updated December 11, 2014
3.5

Jackson Hewitt President & CEO Philip H. Sanford
Philip H. Sanford

Pros
  • you learn a lot of new thing in depth related to taxes (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a low pay structure for experienced preparers with returning clients and complicated returns (in 10 reviews)

• This is a seasonal job so you will be employed a short time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great seasonal job !!!

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Seasonal, most can easily return each tax season for continued employment.

Cons

Pushed very hard to keep the customer at any cost up to and even trying to keep the customer documents.

Lack of real leadership

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Some good people at JH

Cons

lack of leadership causes uncertainty

Get more involved in the field to understand needs, and not just large franchisees.

Great in the beginning

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

fun place to work, lots of knowledge available

Cons

upper management likes to micro manage, they do not value the use of the tax preparers and treats them loke they don't matter

value the work of your tax preparers

Good part time job for students

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and locations
    pretty easy to do the job and often there is free time
    Depending on location, there are always interesting stories that you come home with

Cons

Clientele is not the most sophisticated, to say the least.
    Preparers often don't know what is going on, or don't complete tax returns in the most beneficial way.

I guess it is good for what management is trying to do.
    But they could try to pick a more qualified and better trained staff.

Not well trained

I worked at Jackson Hewitt (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with in my office. Got free coffee every day from the coffee pot so that was nice!

Cons

I didn't feel like most people were adequately trained for the job. The only people who truly seemed to know what they were doing were people who had been working every tax season for years and years. It made me realize that I would never take my taxes to a place like this or one of its similar competitors.

Invest in more training for everyone so that the tax preparers actually know what they're talking about and can answer anyone's question.

exciting

Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people with problem they have

Cons

No comment right now the job is alright for part time work.

JH can't benefit from long term excellence if they don't look inside franchises for long term employees!

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

First of all allow me to tell you all that if you learn the right questions to ask your customers "They will absolutely keep coming back every year". Customers need to feel comfortable with their tax person, knowing what to ask and what to have them bring along to their appointment will be a rewarding experience for the both of you! JH General Managers promote from within in the franchise. The upper management in the franchise will cover a shift for you if you need them too. Corporate contests for employees are available if you have the initiative to involve yourself. You can learn on a constant basis during the season. If you only want to work from January to April this can be a perfect experience. The franchises usually have employees come back year after year.

Cons

After reaching an Office Manager position unless someone retires in the franchise there isn't anywhere to move up. There aren't any health benefits, and the salary really doesn't match the responsibility of the position.

I learned a great deal of my leadership skills working in a JH franchise. People that return year after year, giving their all to JH are the people that should be sent up the ladder to corporate positions.
    And to Corporate Officers and Managers you should be on the lookout for those people because they can provide great leadership, training and support to your franchised offices and owners

overall good experience 3 out of 5 stars

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time

Pros

good people that work in the headquarters learn to work together alot

Cons

No career paths, turnover rate is high

Worked here for 9 years

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Highland Park, MI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Highland Park, MI

I worked at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working here over the years have given me the necessary skills that I need to complete a knowledgeable tax return. It's a great place to have a part time or second job, but when "Peak Season" is over, your paycheck will suffer.

Cons

The pay does not at all reflect the level of knowledge and expertise of the Tax Preparer. I started out in 2006 making $8.25 per hour, and 9 years later I am only making $9.25 per hour. I know that if I was a client, this would reflect a lack of confidence in the employees, and I would take my business elsewhere. I would like for the Corporate Employees to come into the urban cities, and work in the conditions that we work in, and then they can tell me if I make enough money for my skills.

Learn to recognize, appreciate, and reward the employees who bust their hinds to make your company run smoother. While you are there in a corporate office with a view, collecting your salaried pay, the hourly employees who work in less than attractive storefronts and kiosks go above and beyond to make this company run smooth, and to ensure that your paycheck is a full one, while we receive the pennies. Ponder that for a while...We have families to take care of too.

Tax Preparer

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Fenton, MO

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Company is actually a nice one to work for as the upper management actually review the work and are happy to help.

Cons

Hours and Locations, the locations need to be better staffed so that others don't have to float around as much.

As far as employees go, you guys are good. The only thing I could suggest would be to make it more possible to maybe keep some employees after the tax season is over.