Jackson Hewitt

Updated November 18, 2014
3.6

Jackson Hewitt President & CEO Philip H. Sanford
Philip H. Sanford

Pros
  • you learn a lot of new thing in depth related to taxes (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not always leaving when scheduled off, low pay (in 10 reviews)

• This is a seasonal job so you will be employed a short time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible working environment

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Comfortable training environment, but that's because for the most part they hire a bunch of people who've never had jobs before and it feels like someone's living room.

Cons

Office politics galore, poor training, unprofessional management, absurd compensation, plays favorites, ridiculous hours, ghetto offices, ghetto clients, ghetto employees - who's noticing a pattern here?

When someone takes your courses and is literally the only person never late or absent and scores the highest on each of your tests, don't give more hours to everyone else. And ESPECIALLY don't attempt to put an unprofessional bimbo in some position of psuedo authority.

I learned a lot working for this company.

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Pine Bluff, AR
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Pine Bluff, AR

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do work with your schedule.

Cons

No one explains the rules or your contract to you. They expect you to know what it means. You suffer at the end of the season when its time for bonus'.

Every manager should make sure that their employees in their building has full understanding of all rules and contracts so that they can get what they deserve.

Not as excited

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Denver, CO

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were very flexible and they try to place you close to home. The customers that received refunds were quite pleasant.

Cons

You have to pay for training materials. Upper Management do not hold themselves accountable and can be very unprofessional at times.

Recognize the job you are asking people to do for the same wages as fast food workers and address the pay rate accordingly.

Tax Professional

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant networking, meeting new people. Great source of income to have on the side.

Cons

There is a lot of work that gets done during the busy time of tax. I feel that overall hourly pay/commission bonus amounts can be better.

Great people, poor pay

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and excellent training all provided free of charge to employees. Not too many hours unless you are a manager.

Cons

Not always leaving when scheduled off, low pay. Only paid 8.25 per hour to prepare tax returns. As a client I would feel uncomfortable if I knew the pay was this low because it indicates lack of confidence in preparers abilities.

Pay your employees more and there likely won't be such a high turnover rate. Also offer top performing employees the option of working year round developing business ideas and prospecting future students.

Tax preparer

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Flexible hours and the ability to work and go to school at the same time. Got the chance to learn a lot about clients and tax work.

Cons

Low paid. Very poor management and training. Overcharging customer if they have kids and will receive the earned income credit.

Tax Preparer

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Ames, IA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has a good training program and teaches you a lot of responsibility. It was fun to work with new people that came in the door and needed their taxes prepared.

Cons

The overall support was lacking in the office I worked at. While we did have online support tools, if you came across a unique situation in which you were not 100% comfortable with, you gave it your best effort. It did help you develop decisiveness and ultimately I ended up getting a lot of value out of those experiences but was stressful in the moment.

Great Balance

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Matteson, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Matteson, IL

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great balance between busy and slow times.

Cons

pay can be different depending on the individual owners.

you get what you pay for and education in the tax field requires more money because they know more and can do more.

Not enough training

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience with clients and getting exposure especially if you are new to the field. I worked part time while in college and it worked out okay for me. It is very good for college students especially in the accounting field.

Cons

There are no promotions. You work as a tax preparer and if you choose to come back next year, you are still a tax preparer. There is also not enough hands on training.

Train more

Excellent Tax Software Program

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jackson Hewitt had a great computer software program for doing taxes. It was very user friendly.

Cons

I worked in a kiosk inside a Walmart. People asked me to watch their carts while they went to the restroom. One lady asked me to watch her kid.

Find ways to generate a steady business during the entire tax season.