Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
250 reviews filtered by

Great Place to work

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

It seasonal and they train you

Cons

Its seasonal so you only work for a few months per year.

2. I gained a lot of tax knowledge.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Painesville, OH
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Painesville, OH

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

You will get year round tax training.

Cons

There is too much winter travel.

3. Hired for the tax season

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

flexible hours, nice people, good training

Cons

just above minimum wage, BORING

5. Great employees bad Corporate office

Former Employee - Employment Specialist Payroll Coordinator in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist Payroll Coordinator in El Paso, TX

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

The people I worked with are now my long life friends. The training is good and the pay was good until corporate cut the budget.

Cons

There are no career opportunities, The area manager is overworked and underpaid. There is absolutely no support from corporate for the corporately own locations.

6. Sink or swim!

Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Troy, NC
    Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Troy, NC

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The classes are informative and somewhat helpful.

Cons

We never practiced actually using the program/software so when you do start working make sure you have went through every scenario possible. I feel it's a LOT of work and requirements for too little of a pay out!

Advice to Management

TRAIN your preparers! Do NOT expect their supervisor or anyone else under you to even care about the success of others because either they don't get paid enough to care or they have the luxury of letting someone fail so they seem superior! I had High hopes, now, about 2 weeks into the job, I'm not impressed!

7. Happy and UnHappy

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

I love seeing my clients year to year, I just enjoy making people smile.

Cons

The position is only for four months out the year. Always hoping for a year around.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat everyone as adults and not talk through them, and treat everyone the same we all Jackson Hewitt workers. Communicate and Respect.

8. Be VERY cautious before accepting employment here

Current Contractor - Tax Preparer
    Current Contractor - Tax Preparer

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm honestly hard pressed to think of a single positive. I suppose one positive is that you have a great deal of autonomy. I say that because I have still yet to meet any of my managers, and have pretty much been thrown in a kiosk by myself with no one else, no idea who the other representatives at this location are, or when they work.

Cons

Where to begin? Here's a short list:
    1. I have been employed here for almost a month, yet I have not been paid nor notified when our pay checks will be issued.
    2. In the month that I have been employed here, we have had CONSTANT technical issues. Our tax preparation software is STILL not working. This creates a bit of a frustrating situation when you have potential clients who have returned more than once to get their taxes prepared, only to hear, "Sorry, technical issues," time and again.
    3. There is pretty much ZERO support. Contacting management is hit or miss. You may or may not get a reply, which again, makes for a frustrating work experience when you have a client in front of you who needs assistance.
    4. I don't know who the heck they hire to do tech support and IT, but whomever it was, they have all the competency of your average kindergarten classroom hamster. Really, this software should have been up, beta tested and working prior to tax preparation season, NOT when clients are coming in to have their taxes done. It is inexcusable to have this not working. Oh, and let's not forget that when you do need to contact IT, you need to provide a bunch of information just to get someone on the line. If you happen to end up in my situation, with a manager who has failed to provide you with that information, good luck.
    5. There is zero customer service other than you, but as a tax preparer, even though you're thrown into a kiosk completely on your own, you do not have the authority to do anything meaningful to help clients who have been harmed by the failure of the tax preparation software. Case in point: I had one client who came back FOUR times to get his taxes done, one time spending an entire THREE HOURS waiting while tech support tried to fix the issues with the programming. After getting nowhere with the two managers (the ones I've still never met), we resorted to calling corporate. We were told, "I'm sorry; there's nothing we can do," when we requested a discount due to the ridiculous amount of time the client -- a return JH client, nonetheless -- had to waste just to get his taxes prepared. Mind you, his was a simple, basic return.
    6. Their promotional materials are extremely misleading and pretty much borderline unethical. For example, they advertise a "free $50 Walmart gift card," just for choosing JH. What they don't tell you -- ANYWHERE -- is that the tax prep fee has to be at least $150, which means that the poor people who could use the promotion the most usually can't qualify, and end up wasting a lot of time only to decide to not get their taxes done with JH, anyway, since they don't qualify for the position.

Basically, if you enjoy being thrown to the wolves, if you enjoy having to apologize profusely to clients, enjoy being treated as a scapegoat for a managerial team that doesn't know their you-know-what from a hole in the ground, all for a lousy $10 an hour, then by all means, take their tax course and apply.

However, if you are a seasoned tax professional with a strong sense of ethics, apply elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Get the technology up and running prior to tax season. Do not wait until you have clients coming in to start debugging;. Also, have some support for your employees. Do not simply throw them into a kiosk with no support, no schedule of when the area will be staffed, and no information requisite to do their jobs. And for Pete's sake, when you put a client through hell due to managerial incompetence compensate them in the form of a discount for their trouble.

9. Professionalism and training

Current Employee - Office Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Flexible hours, seasonal work for those not wanting to work year round.

Cons

Training would be great if we could hear the audio piece of training, but we are not permitted to have speakers on computers so we must purchase our own ear buds or never hear what is being said. Company controlled to the point of monitoring the amount of paper towels an office uses.

Advice to Management

Stop the gossip at management level, if there is no training budget then don't try to run a business. Pointing fingers does not work in personal development, it takes a manager who wants to succeed to succeed, not one that says don't like it here, then leave. There are plenty of us looking at the competitors to go to work for them due to the apathy that exists in this company

Seattle's new management is huge mistake

Former Employee - Lead/Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Lead/Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

For 4 years was treated well, learned a lot, management strict at times but seemed warranted, lots of hours for seasonal work for the flexible.

Cons

Too many changes this season. Huge manager turnover and some from prior year moved to positions not qualified to have. Too much micro managing from the "upper" managers (at least that is the assumption there are so many manager layers can't keep track).

I did not have that feeling of a good season ahead as I have in the past so chose to not work for Jackson Hewitt Corporate any longer, as have several experienced preparers this year.

Advice to Management

You got rid of the best Seattle team you have had. New managers seem blind to real tax season preparedness. You will need a back up plan.

11. Lack of real leadership

I worked at Jackson Hewitt

Pros

Some good people at JH

Cons

lack of leadership causes uncertainty

Advice to Management

Get more involved in the field to understand needs, and not just large franchisees.