Jackson Hospital (Alabama) Reviews

Reset
Jackson Hospital (Alabama) President & CEO Joe B. Riley
Joe B. Riley

1. Could be better, could be worse

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They try to do little things to boost morale. Every so often, administration will come by with snacks and tell everyone that we're doing a good job.

Cons

It's very political (Surprising , I know) with a side of nepotism. Some supervisors have no clue how to lead and repeatedly intentionally break the rules they are supposed to uphold. No one pays attention, or if they do, they don't care. It's discouraging.

Advice to Management

I know it's impossible to make everyone happy, but there are a lot of good employees that are tired of being made to give more for less.

2. RN (Emergency Room)

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) part-time

Pros

- Work with a great group of RNs, MDs, NPs, PAs, and TECHS. Great teamwork (most of the time)

Cons

No lunch breaks, but 30 minutes will come out of your paycheck for a lunch break Management sees $ not employees

Advice to Management

Happy employees make happy patients. Show you care by coming in on some or at least one holiday a year even if it is to just say "thank you".

3. Horrific Adminstrators

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Attractive campus near downtown. Many experienced long term co workers. Growing organization.

Cons

Extremely political environment. Doctors and administrators are treated like gods while other employees are constantly threatened and mistreated. Administrators have wildly distorted expectations compared to realities. Adminstration has really become unbearable in last year and half with recent additions. A few very vocal doctors and staff constantly escalate their issues to side step usual procedures. Adminstators repurposed handicap spaces to give themselves closer parking and give themselves and doctors free meals, snacks, and drinks while everyone else pays full price.

Advice to Management

Change isn't always good. You guys may just be the next change if you do not stop abusing the very staff that keeps the organization afloat.

Rough Place to Work

Former Employee - Inpatient Physical Therapist in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Inpatient Physical Therapist in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was extremely over-paid working Per Diem at full time hours making $52/hr, but considering the work environment perhaps that rate was appropriate...?

Cons

Hopefully a lot has changed since I worked at Jackson Hospital in Montgomery, AL, however, when I did work there for about 8 months, it was an extremely political place and difficult place to work. There were horror stories about some of the doctors working there being very controlling of how things were done and by the time I left, I had horror stories of my own. Many areas lacked appropriate supplies. Rolling walkers for pt's to use could not be found except for the one's carried by rehab. dept. staff. Also hoyer lifts or gerichairs could not be found on nursing units to use with heavy dependent transfer patients and nurses would not move these pt's at all since only Rehab staff were "qualified" to manage their mobility and nurses did not have the equipment to do it anyway. Wheelchairs in the hospital had their removable leg rests permanently welded on which can make transfers very dangerous in many situations. When I worked at Jackson, Rehab staff were asked to bill for 90% of their time (which is impossible to do even if you could document all of your caseload in the remaining 10% of your time). Case Management and MD's frequently would make discharge decisions and tell pt's where they were going to go and then afterwards consult PT/OT staff to see the pt and expect therapy staff to support those decisions even when pt functional ability did not support those decisions. This was especially prominent on the orthopedics floor where many pt's (esp. total joint replacement pt's) who were able to mobilize independently were still encouraged to go to Rehab by the case manager and doctor.

Advice to Management

1: Do not allow PT/OT discharge recommendations to be dictated to patients prior to PT/OT evaluations 2: Change the Rehab productivity requirement to something realistic 3: Advocate for your department 4: Advocate for nursing staff to have appropriate pt mobility equipment to use with patients outside of PT/OT treatments

6. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Allied Health Professional in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Allied Health Professional in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for growth if you are in nursing. Excellent education department that strives to provide quality opportunities for nurses to grow their knowledge.

Cons

Senior leaders are often disconnected from reality. Some leaders play favorites and there is an impression that if you escalate issues you will not gain resolution in your favor. Many departments are not collaborative and often use the excuse that "it's not my job".

Advice to Management

Look at holding management accountable and provide management training. Improve communication for employees - they are often left in the dark.

7. ungrateful for hard work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a learning Experance

Cons

Long work hours w/o compensation - no overtime pay or comp time.

Advice to Management

Change is not always good

8. A good place to work.

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, family-like atmosphere, high quality patient care. Growing system is expanding to cover more of the Montgomery area. New administration in the past two years seems to listen better to staff and care about their needs.

Cons

A smaller facility than others in the greater metro area and in Birmingham. Less opportunity to expand career horizons. A few growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the staff.

9. Working at Jackson Hospital

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My position at Jackson is challenging and rewarding. There is always something new to learn as technology changes.

Cons

I really can’t think of anything negative to say here, I have worked in some bad environments and this is great, it is more like family.

10. My experience at Jackson has been very positive and a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Pros

In my department, the staff is very caring and supportive. And i appreciated the support I received throughout my illness..

Cons

At times, I feel as though there's not enough of discipline for certain things that goes on. Like, cellphones usage.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the support from the HR Department and Mr. Henderson for approving donated time for me during my illness.

11. I thoroughly enjoy working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Pros

good benefits, good working environment

Cons

slow to respond to change

RSS Feed </> Embed