Jackson Hospital (Alabama) Reviews

3.2
Jackson Hospital (Alabama) President & CEO Joe B. Riley
Joe B. Riley

1. A good place to work.

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, family-like atmosphere, high quality patient care. Growing system is expanding to cover more of the Montgomery area. New administration in the past two years seems to listen better to staff and care about their needs.

Cons

A smaller facility than others in the greater metro area and in Birmingham. Less opportunity to expand career horizons. A few growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the staff.

2. Rough Place to Work

Former Employee - Inpatient Physical Therapist in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Inpatient Physical Therapist in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was extremely over-paid working Per Diem at full time hours making $52/hr, but considering the work environment perhaps that rate was appropriate...?

Cons

Hopefully a lot has changed since I worked at Jackson Hospital in Montgomery, AL, however, when I did work there for about 8 months, it was an extremely political place and difficult place to work. There were horror stories about some of the doctors working there being very controlling of how things were done and by the time I left, I had horror stories of my own. Many areas lacked appropriate supplies. Rolling walkers for pt's to use could not be found except for the one's carried by rehab. dept. staff. Also hoyer lifts or gerichairs could not be found on nursing units to use with heavy dependent transfer patients and nurses would not move these pt's at all since only Rehab staff were "qualified" to manage their mobility and nurses did not have the equipment to do it anyway. Wheelchairs in the hospital had their removable leg rests permanently welded on which can make transfers very dangerous in many situations. When I worked at Jackson, Rehab staff were asked to bill for 90% of their time (which is impossible to do even if you could document all of your caseload in the remaining 10% of your time). Case Management and MD's frequently would make discharge decisions and tell pt's where they were going to go and then afterwards consult PT/OT staff to see the pt and expect therapy staff to support those decisions even when pt functional ability did not support those decisions. This was especially prominent on the orthopedics floor where many pt's (esp. total joint replacement pt's) who were able to mobilize independently were still encouraged to go to Rehab by the case manager and doctor.

Advice to Management

1: Do not allow PT/OT discharge recommendations to be dictated to patients prior to PT/OT evaluations
    2: Change the Rehab productivity requirement to something realistic
    3: Advocate for your department
    4: Advocate for nursing staff to have appropriate pt mobility equipment to use with patients outside of PT/OT treatments

3. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Allied Health Professional in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Allied Health Professional in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities for growth if you are in nursing. Excellent education department that strives to provide quality opportunities for nurses to grow their knowledge.

Cons

Senior leaders are often disconnected from reality. Some leaders play favorites and there is an impression that if you escalate issues you will not gain resolution in your favor. Many departments are not collaborative and often use the excuse that "it's not my job".

Advice to Management

Look at holding management accountable and provide management training. Improve communication for employees - they are often left in the dark.

5. ungrateful for hard work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a learning Experance

Cons

Long work hours w/o compensation - no overtime pay or comp time.

Advice to Management

Change is not always good

6. Working at Jackson Hospital

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My position at Jackson is challenging and rewarding. There is always something new to learn as technology changes.

Cons

I really can’t think of anything negative to say here, I have worked in some bad environments and this is great, it is more like family.

7. My experience at Jackson has been very positive and a great learning experience.

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama)

Pros

In my department, the staff is very caring and supportive. And i appreciated the support I received throughout my illness..

Cons

At times, I feel as though there's not enough of discipline for certain things that goes on. Like, cellphones usage.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the support from the HR Department and Mr. Henderson for approving donated time for me during my illness.

8. I thoroughly enjoy working here

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama)

Pros

good benefits, good working environment

Cons

slow to respond to change

9. Good overtime potential

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama)

Pros

Great people, Good overtime potential, Good PCM support, Good unit.

Cons

Management is clueless a lot of the time when it comes to patient care (they have been out of it for too long)! We are having to make do with less staff, thus creating decreased satisfaction scores. There are some nurses who are constantly written up for making med errors, etc. and this is almost never addressed. It seems if one merely shows up to work and does not call in, one is guaranteed of a job, no matter how shoddy their work performance might be. This creates animosity among employees, compromises patient care and well being and is just plain irresponsible. Moreover, when getting report from certain individuals one has to constantly be looking "for the other shoe to fall" and to not get caught up in their incompetence. Most of us value our licensure and are not willing to have it put in harm's way because of unacceptable nursing practice on the aforementioned individual's part.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! Monthly Town Hall meetings where information may be shared and suggestions taken seriously would help a lot. An across the board raise would also be appreciated. Incentive to work overtime would be a plus. (One hospital I worked at would pay "Bonus bucks" in the form of $10 per hour extra ($120 per shift) if working extra. More effective use of prn staff (filling in for employees on vacation, leave, etc.) is always an alternative that seems to be routinely overlooked in this institution.

bad place to work

Current Employee - CNA in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - CNA in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama)

Pros

3 day work weeks were nice

Cons

even though its a 3 day work week the mood of everyone makes it very deporessing, they say every other weekend ... but it is often at least 3 weekends a month ... the company pays no overtime , and require u to pay to putnhte hospital name on your uniforms

Advice to Management

do unto others as you would like done unto u

11. Great staffs

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Jackson Hospital (Alabama)

Pros

great staffs, this hospital keep growing and challenging new stuffs. working hard to improve their current status.

Cons

salary is little low.. but comparing to other hospital it is same tho

Advice to Management

none