Jackson Laboratory

Jackson Laboratory President & CEO Dr. Edison T. Liu

Dr. Edison T. Liu

Never work here

Animal Care Trainee II (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIt was a job that paid money.

ConsTreated like a machine. If you like killing many animals on a daily basis, this job is for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit.

Great Employee Focus!

Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) Bar Harbor, ME

ProsThe Lab does a great job of really creating an employee first atmosphere. One of the best benefits packages in the area. Between JAX fit, 403b contributions and a generous vacation plan, the lab has got to be one of the best places to work!

ConsLocation - Bar Harbor is in the middle of nowhere and housing is a real challenge. Depsite this, it is in a beautiful location. Otherwise, there really aren't a lot of cons to the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

RSI injuries are very widespread and animals are subjected to very abrupt handling by technicians rushing to quotas.

Animal Room Operations Technologist II (Former Employee) Bar Harbor, ME

ProsA great place to learn interesting aspects of laboratory animal production in a highly technical and extremely fast paced environment. Compensation is in line with similar production facilities in the country. Almost unlimited amount of overtime hours are available and one of the best 403b retirement plans out there.

ConsAnimal productions and operations management team is a critical weak link in the chain of much needed improvement in every process toward correcting the conditions that persists. Conditions of unrealistic work loads, time constraints in acquiring materials needed to carry out assigned work, availability of labor required to accomplish timely animal welfare activities related to length of time between animal dirty cage changes and overly abrupt handling of live animals as a result of last minute ditch efforts to get all animals into clean cages at the end of scheduled work weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll managers need to successfully be able to perform all aspects of animal husbandry on a consistent basis during every anticipated problem that impacts animal care technicians experienced in the course of a typical thirty day period twice a year with one period encompassing a typical holiday weak, also known as a short weak. Further, if any manager is not able to perform a fully expected work load that will reflect no more or less than what is required of all technicians, then that manager must be removed from the management team and may be replaced by one who is capable of and familiar with the requirements of the work load expectations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, great, but my group poorly managed.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Bar Harbor, ME

ProsAcadia National Park surrounds the attractive campus and small-town life means no gangs, few drugs, low crime rate, etc. Fantastic place to raise kids and to enjoy outdoor activities. Some nice benefits like a turkey, ham, or fruit basket (or donate same to charity) for every employee at Xmas. Some (rare) managers are truly fantastic.

ConsManagement skills are frequently sorely lacking as most senior and junior managers are people with Ph.D. in science with no management training or natural skills. Professional development is nonexistent for software employees.

JAX West is like waking up in a nightmare 5, 6, or sometimes 7 days of the week.

Research Associate (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsYou get the technical skills and experience you need quickly, through the daily demands of an insane work schedule, to attain a real career position at a real company.

ConsA regular work week is 10 hours/day M-F and then your weekend is coming in for 6 hours here, or 4 hours there depending on the demands from being short staffed. Work-life balance is non- existent. If you have plans outside of work supervisors will expect you to cancel them to stay late while they leave early. There is too much work for too little people in In Vivo and this is known by upper management yet ignored to meet the bottom line and accomplish their yearly bonus incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the workload expected out of technicians to maintain a reasonable work week of 45-50hrs. Increase employee compensation and show appreciation for all that they accomplish for you on a daily basis. Finally, expect from your employees what you expect out of yourself; it's utterly ridiculous that technicians are required to put their lives on hold to stay late and come in on weekends while other members of the "team" are out the door or home already.

Great people doing good work at a beautiful, albeit expensive, location

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bar Harbor, ME

ProsGreat research happening here. Very academic atmosphere, exciting to hear about all the great advances coming from the scientists. Largest employer in Hancock County, one of the biggest in Maine. Your co-workers and peers are great, as are the scientists at all levels. Management and administration, not so much.

ConsHousing costs in Bar Harbor/MDI are very high so odds are you'll need to commute from Trenton, Lamoine or Ellsworth. Commuting in the summer can take a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementJaxFit makes me sad. Having to bring our 'passport' to places and get 'stamped' in order to decrease our health insurance deductible is insulting, degrading and humiliating. We are not grade schoolers, show some respect and trust in your employees.

Have had one foot out the door for the past 2 years... sad, very sad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsNew facility
    Some of the coworkers that are down to earth are still here (only very few)
    Very hard working folks (taken for granted)
    Oh, and 2 big screen tvs in the breakroom

ConsNon profit trying to run like corporate, without the money
    Lots of gossip
    Have to fight for your job, even though you cant get goals accomplished
    Lack of teamwork and communication, even though they want that environment
    Lots of people are miserable but dont want to leave
    Unfairness in how people are treated
    Too many politics for a nonprofit research
    High turnover rates
    Inconsistincies within Sac facility and across both coast facilities
    Lots of frustration throughout the facility
    They dont want to fire people because they dont want to pay unemployment

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with what you say you are going to do. Listen to your folks, dont just say "yes" when we really know you mean "no". Also, there are some very intelligent people working for you that you continue to refuse to listen to, and still listen to the bottom dwelling bum kissers that are making the high dollar mistakes throughout the facility. And how many more supervisors/ leads do we really need? How about just letting us do our work for once without changing it every 5 minutes. I have worked with this company for awhile, and feel so dragged down and disrespected that I can't even believe we are still operating when I know so many others feel this way too. I think at one point you even wanted to hire immigrants to do the work so there would be less complaining? I don't know how we are supposed to get on the top 100 places to work out here in Sacramento when you dont take your employees seriously, dont listen, and continue to be stubborn or incognizant about true changes that need to take place. You really need to nurture people, give them more resources for work/life balance and fun. And stop making it seem like production runs the show, there are far more other people here working just as hard.

There was a time where I couldn't wait to go to work at Jax but now it is a paycheck .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bar Harbor, ME

ProsThe lower level employee's are like family,very conciderate of others.

ConsCertain managers treat individuals differantly than others as far as promotions. It should be based on merits and past experience and performance reviews not on who they are firends with.

Certain areas there is intimidation, managers towards employee's

Certain areas,a blind eye is applied to certain actions of emplyee's but others are held accountable for their actions by mangers. ie one sided views and disiplinary actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a 360 review applied to managers from employee's so that the senior managment team can be aware of how the managers are treating their employee's as far as shareing important information,respect,handleing issues within their department and overall support of the mission that the institution is provideing.

When it comes to guidelines,rules,disiplinary actions everybody should be treated with the same standards and respect and be informed to obide the same rules and guidelines and be subjected to the same standards and disiplinary actions. That is not always the case.

Example: You have 2 people that are at the same level position,same pay level,same requirements.
    One walks around all day from person to person discussing what is going on in their life,what they did during the weekend,what they are planning on doing on vacation,and so on.

Then you have the other employee doing what is required by the institution earning their pay and applying themselves totally to their duties and abideing to the rules and guidelines.

When certain managers are approached about the issue at hand ,it is ignored until pressure builds up,then the person that addresses the issue is usually the one that getscalled to the office and spoken to. Not the person that is not applying themselves or following the guidelines stated by the institution.

Great people, Great mission, Lousy management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe people care very much about the mission and non-profit work. Working at the Lab has the potential to give back to the medical and pharmaceutical communities in a big way.

ConsThe services part of the lab is very conservative and is incapable of growth. Any change or initiative is seen as a risk and is to be avoided at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of the Junior managers are taking leadership courses. I don't see any of the mid to senior -level managers applying the basic lessons we are learning. It's pretty disappointing, this place has huge potential with some real leadership. I'd like to see the yearly survey put back in place, it seemed to be the only feedback anyone took seriously.

Love the Work; Hate the place. Upper management is a joke.

In Vivo Technologist (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe people that I work with are some of the best technicians I've ever worked with. Very skilled technicians, hard working, and great talent. The job duties itself are pretty amazing you learn a lot about a lot of things. The work load is really crazy. Its a sink or swim type of place.

ConsUpper management are the worst. Bar Harbor I hear is a great place to work, but thats not the case in sacramento. You have to beg for supplies that you need. People are expected to over see 10-15 different studies, and do technical work and not make mistakes. Management has said they were going to make changes to make the technicians life better. . . lies! Really the worst thing is that we are over worked and underpaid. Under appreciated is the life at Jax -west.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff! You cant expect to work people this hard and have them not make mistakes. Stop lying to your staff about what your going to do, In fact, stop having meeting all together. nothing gets accomplished. nothing ever changes. why have them? Communicate with your technicians better; Fire people that are dead weight, and hire people that can succeed at a sink or swim job. Pay your employee's more. Being a non-profit isn't an excuse to treat people like this. The education system seems to be able able to pay more than you with WAY less expectations. And the education system is talking about cutting PE programs because of lack of money. how can they pay signifigantly more than jax? You cant make things better without spending more money. either hire more staff (and make work conditions better) or pay us more. stop thinking about your bottom line so much. . . your a non-profit remember!

Worked for Jackson Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!