Jackson State University

Dr. Carolyn Meyers

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pearl of the South

Visiting Professor (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsBrilliant Faculty and Leadership dedicated to making a difference is students lives

ConsUrban setting with some crime nearby

Great company to work for. Good people great atmosphere.. This is a great place great place

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

Prosyou will feel like part of a family, there's great opportunity for any and everyone whether in school or not. Pay is decent people are friendly students are educated. This is a place that the president is increasing the campus and standards of everyone there.

Consnone there's no con's because its a great place. Everything is falling in place

Advice to Senior Managementgreat

Awesome. It was an absolutely great learning experience. I had the opportunity to gain much responsibility.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsWork-study atmosphere.
    The student environment.
    The coaching of the employer.

ConsThe pay was a big downside. But I have heard that they have increased the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving students responsibility. help them to build their sense of ownership and they will be valuable workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good University with strong Chemistry and Biology Departments

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsA good place to do graduate work if you would like to have strong publications - in chemistry or biochemistry.

ConsThe University still needs to grow and expand. A small campus, but quickly grows last 5-6 years. The University needs more active and talented students.

pay is low for the job

Faculty (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsReasonably decent students to make up for the ones who are their primarily for the financial aid refund

ConsYour experience will depend on the department. If you are not black be aware that there is significant reverse racism and it can be very in your face. You need to learn to deal with it as most people who work there see nothing wrong with this kind of behavior and the odds of getting justice is low.

There are some very good student and a bunch who are used to getting good grades for breathing (there is some significant faculty split on having to work hard for good grades vs being given good grades for showing up which results in student whining in hopes that you will cave since it works in some classes).

Pay is below the industry average and lower than several of the "white" state schools, significantly lower. Resources for faculty are scarce unless you have a grant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry enforcing no discrimination and racism on the campus. Meet the state requirements so that the state allocation will rise. Pay faculty on par with the white institutions. Do something about the students who only show up for the financial aid refunds (or to quote Mason, the previous president, "something needs to be done about students who view financial aid as an alternative income stream".) Don't lie to faculty when you hire them about things you have no intention of providing or doing. Don't lie to them about resources that don't exist.

Jackson State is a wonderful place to gain experience as it relates to higher education administration.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsJackson State is a very diverse campus that gives individuals the opportunity to grow professionally.

ConsIt is difficult to get employed at the university.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should make sure that their staff is properly trained to ensure that the needs of the students are being met.

Good

Research Associate (Current Employee) Clinton, MS

ProsJob Security and Good place for beginners

ConsNot very challenging in some issues

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any thing to suggest to the jackson state university.I gues s they are doing a good job now

Pretty good place to work

Secretary (Former Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsThey included a stipend that I used to pay my tuition for about two years. The hours were very flexible, and they encouraged me to make time for studying.

ConsAt certain times, the job was a little tedious, but it really isn't much to complain about. My supervisor was great, but the senior management could use some work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that they should put more money into areas that need it most, which is the education department. This would make things a little more even, in terms of hiring work-study students.

Worked for Jackson State University? Contribute to the Community!