Jackson Walker Reviews

C. Wade Cooper

1. Working in the glass tower

Former Employee - Desktop Support (Systems Support Specialist) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Desktop Support (Systems Support Specialist) in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jackson Walker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, everyone was really friendly and wanted to talk to you. It was extremely demanding work but it compensated very fairly. The currently director there is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to work for. He's one of those that worked his way to the top rather than handed the title. The Christmas parties there are probably the best in town. Coworkers were great I still talk to them from time to time. Health insurance was United and coverage was fantastic.

Cons

Its downtown at the BOA tower. Lots of bums and druggies hanging around outside. I got pushed by a random crazy one day in front of the building while going to get lunch. Parking sucks I had to pay around 55 dollars a month to park there. Public transportation is surprisingly expensive when you add it all up. They are moving to the arts district 2015 less bums but food situations going to be food trucks or bag it.

Advice to Management

Expectations were unrealistic at times. Need to prioritize the work you assign rather than assigning things randomly. Assigning work for the sake of assigning work is not productive and detrimental to the team moral. It makes the leaders appear weak in their position. Also if everything is a urgent nothing is urgent. I remember everything being extremely important, and critical. Well, what about the thing that I was working on? Is this new thing actually more important or is the thing I'm currently working on important? Having a team meeting with-out any sort of agenda is a waste of time. I remember most of the meetings being arbitrary requirement of upper management. Once again above point, don't assign work just to assign it. It was a waste of an hour every morning. We just talked about social things and nothing that really pertained to the job. I can recall only one productive meeting out of the couple hundred I had to attend at this company.

2. typical of other large, old law firms I've worked for

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jackson Walker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff is mostly friendly among staff. Reasonable starting pay. Current technology well deployed and maintained. Strong training. Low stress.

Cons

Typical law firm structure. Management keeps staff on a tight leash. Innovation and process improvement is not encouraged. Status quo is encouraged over excellence. Performance-based pay increases are less than COLA for the best review you could possibly receive. Bonuses are based more on seniority than performance. As is in all firms, management makes decisions based on what partners want without taking employees' needs, whether personal or professional, into much account.

3. Wonderful place to work.

Pros

The people are wonderful. So nice and welcoming. Always busy and there is always a challenge to be met.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative about Jackson Walker. It really is an awesome place to work. The people and environment are wonderful.

5. Typical for a staffmember of a big law firm

Former Employee - Legal Secretary
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary

I worked at Jackson Walker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities and excellent initial training on software; good tech support; nice "you're appreciated" party for the staff once a year at Halloween with prizes and catered lunch; secretary's week is pretty neat with group lunch/food items and $25 gift card from a department store; flexible time off with good desk cover so you don't come back to an overload.

Cons

Bonuses stink big time -- first year is $300 (really?!!) and it increases $300 per year of service thereafter up to one paycheck's amount whereupon it is then capped; some (a lot?) of the attorneys are very arrogant and condescending (very typical large law firm environment), but on the other hand a lot are really nice people and every respectful. It's the bad apples that sour the whole bunch in this case.

Advice to Management

Give better (bigger) bonuses to your staff so everyone will be happier and more productive.

6. Better than most law firms

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Jackson Walker full-time

Pros

From an associate perspective, the workplace environment is better than most firms. Inherently, law firms demand a lot of hours, attention, and perfection, the profoundly higher necessity for demonstrable competency than a lot of careers. Pros: Work culture is a lot like close friends in which work-life balance is genuinely acknowledged and efforts made to work around life events, as best as attorneys can do. Entrepreneurial work environment with support and mentoring found mostly informally. From an associate perspective, I can say the firm seems well managed financially, which is not always the case when it comes to attorneys running a business. For the most part, client relationships are strong and respectable. You want to help your client and look forward to their next transaction and how it plays out in their overall business objectives. Loads of woman partners and a clear interest on the part of the firm in women leadership. There could be more minority leaders - but this is an industry problem. A note on all partners generally: the workplace does not promote hierarchy. This is a huge plus for law firms in my opinion as one can feel free to walk into most attorney's offices to have a frank and beneficial discussion on the issues an attorney discovers in the course of his or her work. From my observations and own experience, many of these colleagues will become your friends. Perhaps as a result of a non-hierarchical environment, camaraderie is high at this firm by comparison.

Cons

Cons: Your typical law firm cons -- long hours during closings, trials, and busy seasons; a few law firm attorney egos; ramping-up months where you must find your core team to get your steady stream of work. This is a Texas based firm. As an associate you will generally be representing loyal, local clients, not various worldwide clients one might find in an international or national firm. However, the clients are large enough and a fair number are not native Texan making international transactions and cases, and interaction with international personalities, still a possibility.

7. Must socialize with immediate co-workers

Current Employee - Cleical in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cleical in Austin, TX

I have been working at Jackson Walker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, low pressure, training provided.

Cons

Must be accepted by long term co-workers

Advice to Management

Don't enage in gossip, if the job is getting done that's all that matters.

8. Knowledgable firm but the Partners are Wholly in it for themselves.

Current Employee - Senior Counsel in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Counsel in Austin, TX

I have been working at Jackson Walker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with. Good knowledge base to draw upon.

Cons

The saying is "Uncle Jack will take care of himself." That attitude that partners will look out for themselves at the expense of everyone else runs through the entire firm.

Advice to Management

Know where your bread is buttered. You make money through the hard work of others. Look after the non-equity partners better and the firm will make even more. Be less selfish.

9. Good place to work. Not your typical law firm environment (i.e. the cutthroat mentality).

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and good pay. Most of the time the attorneys are flexible with someone needing time off. Stays up with technology.

Cons

Rather than addressing problems (mistakes) directly with someone, the attorneys generally will just stop using that person. Makes for alot of dead weight as well as burdening others who have more experience or know the problems/mistakes to avoid.

10. Good people, horrible benefits compared to other lawfirms

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great people who know what they are doing (well most of them)

Cons

The benefits are not there. The raises and bonus'es are below what they should be. The 401k and healhcare programs are a joke.

I have been satisfied with a job to coast but not excel.

I have been working at Jackson Walker full-time

Pros

Wont over work you, not a lot of office politics to deal with, at least in IT. Morale boosting events are common and they seem to care for their employees.

Cons

Upper management has no idea what they are doing. They appear to come up with continuously bad ideas and expect everyone to stroke their egos.

RSS Feed </> Embed