Jacksons Food Stores Reviews

2.1
John D Jackson

1. Great company

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores

Pros

Coworkers, travel, fast growing and fast paced

Cons

Pay, employees stretched thin, unrealistic expectations, doesn't hold everyone to the same standard. Office employees expected to compensate for field employees

2. Worst company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are absolutly NO good things about this company!!!

Cons

I gave a year of my life to that store. I worked when every they wanted me. Put up with management. I don't want to get going out about writing this because there a vengeful company. I kept telling them I needed to work days. I was the longest person at my store. Evryte they hired they'd hire people for days or midshifts. It's all about weather your manager or DM likes you. You get fired if you break company policies, unless they like you! It gets worse but if I wrote it down they'd know it was me and I can't have that!

They wouldn't listen anyways!

3. Breaks are an undue hardship they can't afford?

Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy promotions if your not drunk every day and work there 6 months they will let you be a manager trainee and be on call 24-7 for an extra $5 a week.

Cons

No breaks here. Ever. Really. Lobbied to not give scheduled breaks saying it would be an undue hardship. Insinuated we would get breaks between cars. We don't. If you have time to lean you have time to clean, stock and prep. Will schedule for 1 hour meeting you have to show up in uniform for so your drunk boss can have you pee in a cup because someone stole some beer.

Breaks, minimum wage workers that work in searing heat and driving snow dig em. Your really gonna say you can't afford to have the third guy stay an extra 30 minutes so your cashier and pump man can sit down for fifteen minutes each? Maybe put a chair next to the cash register? When was the last time you stood up for 12 solid hours? I've worked in a lot of gas stations they are the only ones I know of who do this.

5. Grat work experience

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores

Pros

Graet benifits, good environment, nice managers

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

None

They Promote From Within, alright. It's not what you know. It's who you know.

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores

Pros

Wages were fair. Nothing else fair.

Cons

Head Office claims to have an open door policy. I went to the top to report the Manger's mishandling of the money. Since I was Assistant, I was not comfortable working under the manager. The manager found out about my complaint, she was reprimanded and my life was hell every day after that. The manager's friends, that she promoted, were planted in all the stores so getting a transfer didn't help. Since I worked the shifts alone, I came into empty cooler doors...not just shelves, the whole doors were empty. I saw the Assistant Manager leave the Rest Room before he left work. Nobody went in there after him. When I went in there to clean it, there was feces smeared all over the walls. Twice. He was a friend of , you guessed it, that manager with a grudge against me. After a few instances, all very bad things, I walked out. When at the hearing of my unemployment, Jackson's LIED! About everything. I could have asked for extensions because I had all the paper work at home I needed to prove that they were lying but I just wanted to forget Jackson's was ever a part of my life and let it go. Now, that's disgusted. I've been in that business for thirty years at various other stores but Jackson's was the only place I would call Hell! If you are honest, , have integrity or unhappy with unethical behavior of their pawns (managers) they put in place, stay clear.

How can I advise Management of anything when they're doing so well? The Devil takes care of his own.

7. Great tuition reimbursement program. A company who cares about its community

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eugene, OR

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

College/trade school reimbursement program. 50% reimbursement for part-time and 100% for full time does not include books just tuition. There was multiple opportunities for promotion but doesn't work for individuals going to school do to the hours required. There is cash incentives when you pass your bi-monthly inspection and is paid out according to the percentage you receive on your store inspection.

Cons

coworkers are often slacking off, hard to get coworkers to cover shifts, theft, homeless population stealing or disturbing work environment.

8. Not very many positive things to look forward to

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a 401k college reimbursement and chances for advancement if you're willing to do things their way and three weeks paid vacation after 5 years

Cons

They don't seem to value their employees very much they fire people for stupid reasons and have a high turnover sometimes employees are given write ups for trivial things not much to look forward too unless you want to become a manager and work 50 60 or 70 hours a week they don't seem to be making much progress toward making things better for employees and value their customers much more than they do their employees I would not recommend this company to a friend

You need to send out an extensive survey to the regular employees on how they feel about every aspect of their employment I feel that management is arrogant and self serving you need to felt the job to the person not the person to the job

No life

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced customer driven business.

Cons

Lack of communication from management, slow to implement new processes. Business has grown but lost touch with its employee base.

10. Company use to be great, but has evntually gone down hillnow SUCKS!

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores

Pros

Family owned and ran (can be postive and negative), ethical, clean.

Cons

Family owned and ran, sub-standard pay compared to competitors and Management salary averages. Cheap when it comes to employee compensation; aggressively fights ANY and ALL unemployment claims. Company has been known to preemptively term individuals who have given notice just to save $$ in the way of vacation time and bonuses. "Arrest Happy" when catching employee theft. There is nothing wrong with that when there are no other options, such as reimbursement and employing a professional Loss Prevention department, which Jacksons does not have- they expect DMs and Managers to be the LP pros!!?? Too micro-managed by very long term employees who are now in middle management. They do not have any other experience and/or influence in their managerial skills from other companies. Not well-rounded, and have tunnel-vision when it comes to change. The company has no problem in wasting thousands and thousands of $$$ for annual celebrations among others. The employees would rather see that $$ in the form of compensation, not parties! There should be a balance....

Try to recruit management from other companies or at least those with diverse retaiil experience. Jacksons still relies on promoting from within, which has left poor options and little depth for promotion into management as the company has grown....Store managers and Assistants are needed, yet there are no real good prospects in the pool. So those who are not really qualified get promoted....sad and frustrating.

11. I worked at Jacksons for 3 months. The manager asked me to work for them after being a costumor for 4 years. After almost a year he talked me into it. I left a good job for Jacksons.The way he put it it was a dream job. We had an employee agreement that I would not work Sundays.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a bonus. After five months of working. Performance based hours. I worked 40-45 hours a week.

Cons

A month in they broke their employee agreement. I broke my back for this company and the manager did nothing but treat me like crap. Sexual hassment for sure. Also I was the only person who didn't do drugs and the only one who got tested. Discrimination the hole time I worked their. The manager personaly attacked me by taping notes for all the employees and customers to read all over the counter for all the little things I did wrong. Remember this is performance based I worked over time every week.
       The manager brought chemicals that didn't belong in the store and used them. Then tryed to put it on employees. Their was a company bowling party. The manager said no kids considering I was the only one that had kids and the only one that didn't get time off. Then come to find out their was kids aloud. You break your back for this company just so you can be treated like dirt. Its not worth being missirible in your life. I guess if you can find a manager that don't drink or do drugs he/she might be level headed and enough to not create drama you could be happy. Just don't bet on it. To much crap talking in this company.

Don't talk crap about your employees to your other employees. Also be nice to your employees, they do more than you think. Maybe try working one grave yard a week so you can feel how it is to actually do hard work. Instead of just running your mouth.