Jacobs Associates

4.9

Daniel N. Adams

Flexible work environment

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

Competent people who are generally willing to share knowledge and experience. Able to maintain work-life balance. Above average compensation when bonuses are included. Upper management has good intention to improve employees' satisfaction.

Cons

Opinions that differ from management are not encouraged. Talkers who suck up to upper management and offer little true value to the company have been observed to be promoted quickly past their more competent peers. As a result, turnover at certain office is quite high.

When it comes to determining promotions, please objectively stick to the descriptions and qualifications indicated in the staff position table.

I am honored to work for this firm

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top notch colleagues - everyone I have worked with and around are intelligent professionals; most are published, many have niche specialty experience, all have great attitudes and integrity. The leadership of the firm are high quality, inspirational individuals who are well respected in the industry and very down-to-earth.

Due to the specialty nature of the work Jacobs Associates does, many of the projects are high profile and technically challenging. There are numerous opportunities to learn and contribute on these projects.

I am totally satisfied with my total compensation package (benefits, salary, profit sharing, 401k matching, bonus, stock, and "volunteer time off").

When I joined Jacobs Associates after working for two other firms in the industry, one of my primary goals was to improve my work-life balance. All of my colleagues at JA have a great work-life balance. This has shown me that it is ok to work hard during the day and have a balanced life outside of work. I have never been happier at work!

Cons

HR has prepared a matrix outlining the criteria/requirements for promotions; but there seem to be additional unpublished factors that also determine if/when promotions occur. This is not a deal-breaker for me because I am very satisfied in my current role; but if you are impatient and expect rapid promotion, you might be disappointed.

Challenging Work - Incredible People

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed Culture, International Opportunities, Supervisors care that employees are engaged -interested in their work and continually learning, learning environment is encouraged, diverse work options, design, construction management, and claims. Big enough to have alot of opportunities, small enough to know everyone, collegial environment, senior management are experts in their field.

Cons

No Office in Hawaii yet.

Forward-thinking company that cares about it's employees.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Project work is challenging and exciting which provides opportunity for professional growth at all levels within the company and at all stages of the projects. Employees are given the tools needed to complete their assignments as productively as possible. There is a good office environment as well, allowing teams to work well together.

Cons

It is difficult to learn about the skillsets of employees at other offices, so employees may not be aware of staff resources available to them for future projects.

I would suggest that Management establish some method to expand employee knowledge of internal resources, whether through encouraging cross-office teams on projects, in person meetings at different offices or some other method.

Fantastic Firm

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Director in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Director in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good support, open communication, excellent benefits, competitive salary, flexibility for working mothers, room for advancement and growth in your career, exciting projects.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Dynamic, Employee-Focused Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time

Pros

1) Provides lots of support for career growth; 2) Challenges employees to work up to their potential and push beyond; 3) Accomodating of personal needs and employee family lives; 4) Everyone I've met working at JA is very happy there - this is most important

Cons

Firm's underground specialty means some people do a lot of traveling - I don't personally have a problem with this, though. It's pretty standard for the tunneling industry.

Management feels very transparent, accessible, and responsive. No need to change.

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Jacobs Associates are amazing. Everyone is so nice! The good thing about working with a company of this size is that you are able to get to know/work with everyone. When I first started working here, I didn't know anything about the tunneling industry but because everyone is so nice I have been lucky enough to learn a lot about the industry plus several other departments.

Cons

The view from my desk is really nice and it makes me want to be outside.

You guys are awesome!

Great place to develop your career

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like working at JA because of its size. Having worked at much larger engineering/consulting firms, I realize how great it is to work at a company of this size. I feel like it's the right size where you can really focus on your career development, and there is a lot of interesting work we do with a great deal of domestic and global opportunities.

Cons

Having come from such a large company, at first I found it difficult to work for a "smaller" company, but now I realize all of the benefits of working for this sized firm.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ability to work with the best talent in the tunneling industry
    -Interesting projects
    -Amazing benefits and pay structure
    -Collaborative and supportive environment
    -Company is growing
    -Offices in great locations across the country (and Internationally)
    -Excellent support staff

Cons

I really can't think of any cons about working for JA. It really is a great place to work, especially for those who are interested and passionate about the tunneling industry.

Keep up the great work!

Organized around employees

I have been working at Jacobs Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not encumbered with the bureaucracy of a large company, and the freedom to organize ourselves the way was want - to be efficient and responsive to clients. We also have a great team atmosphere, with multiple training and career opportunities, and fun outside work activities that many take advantage of.

Cons

A challenge with any company spread out over US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is communication. But we manage.

Maintain the environment where career advancement is based on pushing responsibility to lower tier staff as much as practical.