Jacobs Reviews in Dallas, TX

Updated August 19, 2014
3.5

Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 19 reviews)

• The work ethics and work environment of the company promoted overall growth and learning (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 22 reviews)

• Management does not follow it's mantra of "our people are our greatest asset (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Current Employee - Safety Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They keep all wel informed and up todate with all co aspects, have many internet functions set up if u need any help. People are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Need more 1to1 interaction , more supervision accesability

Slim down some of the steps in payroll,

Project Manager

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company, because of its size has many resources.

Cons

The company lacks loyalty to employees. Will keep field people only as long as needed.

Look at more than the bottom line

You might wait tables first.

Former Employee - Project Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant enough if you are not part of Carter Burgess take over.

Cons

No chance for advancement unless you become a company man or bring in a juicy client, like the US Army. To many Jacobs employees let go so the idiotic Carter Burgess buyout transition would be smooth.

Don't be afraid to tell upper management that they are doing something stupid. No, be afraid. Be very afraid. To upper management; I would get on meds to avoid the heart attack you are going to have when someone figures out that you are ripe for takeover.

Beneficial notch on the belt.

Former Employee - Survey Technician, LSIT in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Survey Technician, LSIT in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fostering environment, exposure to many industry practices

Cons

A lot of adherence to inefficient corporate policies.

We're all in this together.

Only getting worse

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs (more than 5 years)

Pros

My hourly pay rate, the ability to work from home

Cons

On February 5, 2013 I wrote a lengthy review about my experience working at Jacobs. It's been over a year and things have gotten even worse. Our group has been reduced from 8 employees to 3 employees due to lack of work. I recently found out that my resume is being used to win projects but once the work starts, those closest to the project take the work for themselves so they can stay billable. My hours have been reduced to around 15 a week so I no longer receive any benefits (it was the only way to avoid being laid off) . Yes, I am looking for a new job but as many of you know, the competition is fierce and I can't relocate. I have been taking continuing education courses on my own time and my own dime since I can't get approved for training reimbursement. And just so you don't think the problem is ME rather than Jacobs, my client of 5 years has written a letter of recommendation for me since he knows that budget cuts have reduced my hours and forced me to look for work elsewhere.

There are obviously some offices within Jacobs that are doing a good job (according to these reviews) so why not figure out what they are doing right and implement it company wide. It would also be smart to focus on the offices that score low to identify what they are doing that makes everyone so dissatisfied. I also noticed that a lot of reviews mention "good ole boy" networks and cliques. I have to agree with them. If you're not in the IN group, you are on your way out. Work shouldn't be like high school but in the office I'm in, it is.

Supportive place to learn

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were very friendly. They understood that as an entry-level intern I didn't have much office experience and took me under their wing. I learned more in a summer about the engineering design process than I did at school!

Cons

One of my male coworkers did not respect me because I was a young, female engineer. The behavior was isolated to him, but it was hard to deal with. The situation did not get dealt with by upper management at all.

Good company to work for - particularly if you are in the 0 - 7 years

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Big company with a lot of space for challenging assignments.

Cons

Company culture tends to create regular change in leadership

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. I am able to work on interesting and varied projects in both private and public sector work.
    2. Management is stable and does not make quick or rash decisions.
    3. Company has an excellant reputation in the A/E industry.

Cons

1. Sometimes there is a lack of communication from mangement.
    2. Since Jacobs is a pubically held company at times mangement is more focused on short term goals than long range goals such as employee retention.

1. Spend more effort showing employees that they are important to the organization.

Where your career goes to die

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mandatory raises... decent pay, not the greatest
    Some nice people to work with for the most part, who want to do the right thing for the client and work hard to accomplish it.

Cons

The politics are a huge distraction... the Carter Burgess purchase a few years ago has been a total disaster. For some reson CB management came out on top and totally wrecked the local offices.
    Training is non-existent... you are expected to learn as you go and be uptodate on all software by the magic of osmosis, they will not spend the money on training courses or anything of the sort unless you are in the "boys club".
    Most get yearly raises, sometimes the amout depends on your relationship with your supervisor which could lead to a 0.2% raise compared to the average 4.0%
    The company is going thru a "re-imaging" by remodeling their offices like kindergarden classrooms or call centers whichever you prefer... its horrible, with no employee imput... can you say 'Boss knows best?"

Pay attention to your people, listen to them... its hard to recruit people these days with the reputation Jacobs has out there... its getting harder, many potential recruits are running for the hills and joining the competition as soon as they interview.

A very unorganized place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Pay is decent, above average for enrty-level positions. The Jacobs name is know world wide. This is a great place to learn when just starting out.

Cons

No regard for employment morale. Organization is a huge challenge. Matrix style of management does not work well with small production staff.