Jacobs Engineering

Jacobs Engineering Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Jacobs Engineering President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin

Craig L. Martin

Pros:
  • "Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule with half days on Fridays"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Flexible work scheduling, with paid overtime"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "How does this make any sense for a company that has the slogan "people are our greatest asset""
    in 20 reviews
  • "Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent safety culture and training, professional development opportunities lacking

Hydrogeologist (Former Employee)
    Oak Ridge, TN

ProsLarge, multi-disciplinary projects that extend over years.

ConsDue to increasing size, company not interested in pursuing smaller jobs that offer interesting technical challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of recognizing in-house, high-performing workers and give the career advancement opportunities.

Been great, They have been very supportive and willing to teach!

Piping Designer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI love my project team.

ConsI go to school full time as well so thats what I am struggling with.

Professional Environment

Process Engineer III (Former Employee)

ProsKnowledgeable and professional. Work life balance when working as a contractor

ConsSome of the customers give new meaning to the word "challenging"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jacobs ASG offers an excellent international logistics operations experience as a senior logistician.

Distribution Process Advocate (Former Employee)
    Albany, GA

ProsJacobs ASG offers its contract employees exceptional salaries, training opportunities, increased leadership responsibilities, and excellent time-off options offered during overseas deployments as contractors.

ConsJacobs ASG values and targets exceptional leaders for contracted management positions overseas while rewarding its productive members with various awards, citations, and financial incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementJacobs ASG provides plenty of leadership opportunities for its managers, but should foucs a bit more on doing the same for its non-management employees as well. The company must also continue to reward employees for their performance.

Jacobs has an excellent group of people working together toward a common goal; incredible company!

Senior Technical Recruiter (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsExcellent communication between management and employees
    Family oriented atmosphere
    Welcoming to all new employees

ConsVery flat organization
    Promotions from within are rare

Good company, poor benefits, lack of training funding

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGood company that usually gets some great contracts, Cary, NC office isn't usually the go to for large projects

ConsTerrible benefits and PTO, lack of training funding, lack of growth within company

All about billable hours

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Appleton, WI

ProsGreat format for Project management

ConsIt is all about billable hours. No billable hours, you are gone

Top level executive in operations and later as support executive. Not too big to fail, however. Check your stock!

Multiple (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsCompensation is competitive. There once was a 'family feeling' to the management of employees where you could feel employee pride in the company in spite of its size. This changed with changes (multiple) in leadership. There was always a keen eye on customer satisfaction with their systems, management and production processes. Benefits improved some when turnover spoke. Employee stock plan was once good, now typical. I give the business outlook a positive simply because they have figured a way to keep Wallstreet engaged, and to make money; but the real question is, if they were truly great, how much more talent could they collect and how much more profit could they make?

ConsInteresting to see how the company's first industries, chemical and oil and gas projects, have infiltrated other industries they've acquired through M&A, where these first industries practices are 'force-fed' into the natural practices of the acquired, other industries. A cultural stew that didn't always work. There's little emphasis on talent management and more on 'process' improvement. Benefits were average and existed as such in order to be competitive, just like the company's competitors. Nothing unusual here. Employees knew this lack of expertise in best management practices, coupled with an emphasis on things impacting the bottom line while not considering the people, after awhile caused employees to become disengaged, unless they had a progressive manager or office, or they happened to be one of the 'chosen few'.
    While I show 'no opinion' about Craig, I do believe leadership greatly impacts the success of the company. With the loss of the former CEO stepping down, the values reflected this loss and took on the current values of the CEO in ways that were both positive and not so. I withhold judgment since I have not walked in these shoes, but suffice it to say, many a good folk who were there for the long count have voluntarily left to places that match their values.

Advice to Senior Management"One size fits all" mentality didn't work for 'all'. Really putting people first with evidence to that fact will go a long way in attracting and producing true talent by implementing real programs for more employees. Hiring the usual suspects or 'good ole' boy' friends of friends, or talent acquired from strategic 'steals' and giving away the farm to this 'stolen' but unproven talent, are not best hiring practices. The worker bee employees see though these 'strategies' and they therefore become saboteurs, of sorts before they leave. Managing under these conditions provides, at best, mediocre results.

Lots of work, little advancement

Design Technology Manager (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsJacobs Engineering is a great place to work when the private sector is down. Most of Jacobs Global Building Division work comes from Federal contracts, so there's always a lot of work during those down periods and the Government funds a lot of projects. Fast paced projects. High value on safety.

ConsManagement's understanding of how technology can benefit the company at the production level. Little training outside of required safety and HR training. Very much an 'old-boy's' network. You must know someone to feel safe when the chips are down.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace technology. Understand that a trained employee is a happy contributor. Spend more money on the non-professionals/production staff. Get to know all of your staff, don't just take the supervisor's (your peer's) word.

Designer position. I was an engineering tech before they bought the company I had 20 plus years in.

Designer (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe money was good. the Insurance was pretty good too.

ConsPeople in my department weren't very friendly. I was treated like a temp.

Advice to Senior Managementthey don't care

Worked for Jacobs Engineering? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jacobs Engineering reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jacobs Engineering CEO Craig L. Martin. All 519 reviews posted anonymously by Jacobs Engineering employees.