Jacobs Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.5

Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 19 reviews)

• The work ethics and work environment of the company promoted overall growth and learning (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 22 reviews)

• Management does not follow it's mantra of "our people are our greatest asset (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Long days at times, but learned a lot while at Jacobs

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the team work and collaborative working environment. Employees are dedicated, and although the workload at times required long days and sometimes weekends, there was always others right there working along with you on a project. Communication between employees wasn't perfect, but way better than what I have experienced at other employers. Everyone seemed to understand we all had the same goal - to win work and keep each other employed.

Cons

Depending on what group you are in, there is no career path. No consistency of reviews, setting of goals, or discussions on training for growth. Work/life balance was tough due to long work hours and weekend work at times.

Training and career growth should be a focus for all groups.

Great people and work schedule

Current Employee - Buyer III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Buyer III in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work 4-10 schedule, very laid back, small cap projects only, no lump sum work

Cons

no structure, horrible cafeteria, no bonus, no christmas parties, very cheap company

Good company to work for

I worked at Jacobs (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay, flex time, good benefits like 401k and employee stock purchase at a discount, pleasant working environment. I felt like our work was meaningful.

Cons

I started at entry level and would have benefited greatly from a little more guidance. There was definite favoritism in our department when the raises were divided up.

Satisfying to say the least. Good pay and potential for advancement.

Current Employee - Senior Facilities Project Manager in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Facilities Project Manager in Tooele, UT

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good transition from my military career. Opened my eyes to the civilian business world and operations in a civilian company.

Cons

Breaking through some of the cliques is difficult at times. Positions on a major contract should feel more stable, but difficult times make every day a crap shoot.

Trust in your people, believe in their abilities, and give them the respect they are earning.

Wish I would have never left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, nice building, great location. Lots of opportunity for learning.

Cons

lower salary and high costing benefits

Great managers who listen to you and are proactive about solving problems. They are truly interested in their employees lives and want to work as a team.

Wonderful company to work for

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Take care of the employees with gym and tuition reimbursement

Cons

Most of the positions at ASG are based off of federal contracts

Generic, but good

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours.
    Nice, knowledgeable, approachable people.
    Company is working towards more progressive atmosphere: Hiring young engineers; mentoring programs; social events.
    Pay is above average.
    Opportunities to move around internally and work abroad (e.g. mechanical to project engineering, assignments in Canada, North Carolina, Saudi Arabia, etc.).
    Many opportunities for free lunch!

Cons

A place where older engineers come to die.
    There's still a lack of developed training program.
    Terrible health insurance.
    Individual performance feels like it goes unnoticed.

More focus on training needs to be a priority. More recognition for those who go above-and-beyond.

PM Internship

Former Employee - PM Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - PM Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Jacobs as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Supervisor was a great mentor. Huge company with options to work all over the world

Cons

IT issues. The training for other positions was available, just needed to do some leg work to get in contact to the right people

This comp

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

The work hours were flexible. Management cared about the workplace and personal safety of its employees.

Cons

The work load for my group could be sporadic. There were times where it seemed like it was too many employees for the amount of work.

Good opportunity to work with major automotive company.

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am contracted to a major automotive company, and I get to work with their engineers on a daily basis, while I build up my knowledge base. Working with Jacobs allows me to get my foot in the door, and build connections that may be useful later in my career. My work schedule is the same everyday, so I always know I will be home by a certain time, and I have never had issues when I needed time off

Cons

The pay scales are below average for the work that we are doing. Many employees use the jobs here to gain experience before leaving for other employers that are willing to pay more. Many employees have complained that supervisors are unwilling to give raises which is a huge demotivator.

Management needs to consider paying more for salary and hourly employees, to attract more skilled employees. The employees that are being hired a very under-qualified, and the people that are qualified won't take the jobs because the pay is not enough. The under-qualified workers add more stress, and higher workloads onto everybody else which causes the qualified employees to leave for better paying jobs.