Jacobs Reviews

877 reviews filtered by
3.3
Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule with half days on Fridays (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 23 reviews)

• Seems to go against there "People are our greatest asset" motto (in 22 reviews)

1. When I first came to work here, it was a good company but it has had a lot of turnover of management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved being contracted out to another company.

Cons

In the last 4.5 years, my supervisor changed 7 times.

2. I&C Engineer IV

Former Employee - I&C Engineer IV in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - I&C Engineer IV in Portland, OR

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Independently work, no micro managing, diversity, broad spectrum of work

Cons

Job security tied to economy

3. senior process engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Safety is a high priority. Salaries are fair. Good people to work with. Job security Is above average.

Cons

Location relative to traffic is horrible. Lots of dead weight. Much more value put on perception than reality employee wise. Not enough value placed on technical ability. Benefits are horribly expensive.

Advice to Management

We have a good group of managers however there are always a few bad apples. If u can get on a good manager's team u can thrive. Place more value on quality vs quantity.

5. Senior Buyer

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Great people to work for: Managers PPM / PM's are people focused and customer driven.

Cons

The down turn in business created alot of layoffs since the stakeholders cut back on new projects.

6. Poject Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As mentioned, the company does offer a good life/work balance and acceptable pay.

Cons

We all know that engineering firm work is based upon client workload and as such there is an amount of ramp up and then lay off based upon work load. However, I have never worked for a company that practiced the "revolving door" to the extent that Jacobs does. You ZERO job security - even in the "good" times. God help you in the bad times because Jacobs surely won't No severance - no anything. Oh, and the benefits are among the weakest in the industry.

Advice to Management

Change your business model. Respect your employees.

7. Project Manager

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

you get paid nothing else

Cons

As a legacy SKM staff, I was expecting a much more from the acquisition. Instead the sole focus for the company is the bottom line and essentially a number to meet utilisation targets. You position is not safe even if you meet the allocated target as some people in my office have found out. Don't believe the people are our greatest asset slogan. Management has been reduced to bean counters with a culture of fear not empowerment. I could go on, but compared to SKM, Jacobs does not look after its people and you are virtually on your own to find work. The inside/outside sales process does not work and provides non billable staff credit for projects operations would have won through established relationships. Professional development focus on 1 -10 years experience. Little training was offered for 20+ years.

Advice to Management

Start over with a different culture. Remove the bean counter managers and provide real leadership. Listen to the real people doing the work.

8. Are the good times really over for good?

Former Employee - Piping Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Piping Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Spent 20+ years working with wonderful supervisors; benefits were above average; compensation was superior; opportunities to work on projects outside of office region were sometimes available.

Cons

This company is driven by the bottom line. There are quarterly layoffs and they are made without respect to projects or clients needs. I was fortunate to be able to stay with Jacobs for 5+ years after they acquired Jordan Jones & Goulding. Almost all of the "legacy" JJG'ers have now been axed. The culture of caring that they want the world to see is naught but smoke & mirrors. My advice to anyone with this company that has 15-20 years with Jacobs is to start looking for employment because it is just a matter of time before your time will be up! If you are with a company that is about to be acquired.....RUN!!!!

Advice to Management

Craig Martin, You need to realize that your employees are your most valuable asset. The experienced folks that you toss out like yesterday's trash is unreal.

9. Interesting company to work for

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Workload is varied and interesting.
    Learning and development are given high priority with a collegiate feeling to the place.
    There are many experts in their field to learn and seek assistance from.
    There are good networking opportunities and a social media style intranet.
    They have their fingers in many pies, if you want to try something new you probably can.

Cons

Resourcing doesn't seem particularly well organised.

Advice to Management

It's time to get on the ball. The work is out there, the people to do it are here. Make it happen, engage.

10. PM

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Good learning environment for starting career

Cons

Huge bureaucratic culture, you need to have connection to progress

Advice to Management

More accountability

11. Worst Career Decision.... Radar Electronic Warfare Engineer

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Paycheck

Oh wait I have run out of good things to say

Cons

Be incredibly careful taking employment here at Edwards AFB. They will lure you in by telling you its a 4 year contract but in reality it ends in Sept. 2015. This is a temporary position that they fill under the guise of more full time employment. Be careful of this trap. Don't quit your job to come here. Once you are here you are told you are nothing but a number , etc .They will pump you for what they need and find "ways" to get out of paying for unemployment by letting you go the right way. This place as an extremely high turn over rate.

If you are not meeting any other engineers ... ask yourself why?
    If the cubes are all empty ... again ask yourself why?

They will tell you what you want to hear until you get there. The ethics is laughable and not one person is trust worthy.

This place is ripe with Cronyism, Nepotism and ethics issue