Jacobs Reviews

1. My experience With Jacobs Engineering

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Designer in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Designer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

I love their work ethic, The way they go about executing a project. The way the employees and upper management all get along with each other. Most of the time you can share your ideas for solutions for to project problem issues and the managers listen. Most of coworkers get along together.

Cons

Like nearly every corporation today, they suffer the ups and downs related to the economy and that creates layoffs. Its not necessarily Companies like Jacobs' fault. Every US company is subject to the world's money flow . The flat earth philosophy where the United States and certain corporations moves jobs offshore for enhanced profits for stockholders hurts US workers. Technological advances have helped certain countries to steal information related to proprietary engineering and ideas. These individuals use their people and cheap labor to drive prices down and flood the market with product . Suffice it to say its extremely complex today. Not like it was in 50's and 60's where US technology was kept in the US, and US jobs were not off shored.

Advice to Management

I think Jacobs is probably one of the most diversified Corporations on the planet. They are, involved with every major type of engineering there is. There is opportunity, but again, its subject to the work available and Money that other companies or governments could spend. That being said , its hard to suggest what they might do differently. Overall they have talented people. Maybe they need to look at markets that they had not previously considered, and become a dominant- go to guy in that market.

2. Co-op

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Got exposed to the industry.

Cons

Hard to learn/get exposure to other aspects of the industry you're assigned. All hours have to be charged to a specific project.

3. Jacobs Engineering

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work on interesting projects at good pay with great people. The company is diversifying locally so there's more opportunities for gaining experience. They are also on the winning side of many projects. They have a good reputation and were promoting safety before it became fashionable for everyone to do so.

Cons

6 holidays/year. There are several benefits offered, similar to other engineering firms, such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k with match, accidential death and dismemberment, legal services, etc., but the premiums are higher than at other firms although I haven't checked lately.

Jacobs defines Company FIRST

Former Employee - Principal, Program Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Principal, Program Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT benefits package including medical, dental, vision and a strong 401k benefit. Open opportunities to transfer around the world within the company.

Cons

If you are OK with being a number in a personless system, then this is the place for you to work. The day you stop being 100% billable to your client assignment you will appear on the watch list for the next person to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Get a backbone to stand behind your employees. You can't have employees fight for the company objectives and then toss them aside when the client disagrees. Loyalty works both ways.

6. Inconsistent

Former Employee - Senior Piping Engineer/Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Piping Engineer/Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Jacobs (More than 8 years)

Pros

Inconsistent work practices and personnel evaluations.

Cons

A lot of iof good supervisors

Advice to Management

Seek, promote and retain talent

7. product test technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Stable work hours inside air conditioned buildings, working directly with engineers, relaxed work environment with low stress.

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, favoritism and sometimes poor treatment, very few pay increases.

Advice to Management

Treat people more fairly, properly compensate employees so that they are not forced to look for employment elsewhere to make ends meet.

Good Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company does business in several industrial sectors where you can get a lot of experience in a short amount of time. Additionally, since Jacobs has the capability to engineer and complete the project to construction completion allows you to see a phases of a project.

Cons

I never felt that managers were honest about annual pay increases. Working hard does seem to mean a lot to most managers and can be disappointing. The Houston office is not a very friendly environment.

Advice to Management

Audit how much of the management message gets filtered out as the messages is passed to the lower ranks. What you say is not always what is communicated.

Honest Opinion

Former Employee - Engineering Tech III in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
    Former Employee - Engineering Tech III in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

Very interesting place to work. A lot of gratification knowing that you were trying to help our men and women in the service while they are fighting for our country. The pay and benefits were the best you can get. You got to see a different variety of military test items. You also got the chance to travel to different areas of the country and even the world.

Cons

I can't think of many cons. Only issue I had was that not all employees were treated the same. I felt that because I wasn't in the "click" that the upper management didn't seem to be interested in anything I had to say. I had been promoted to an upper class management position. I would have thought my company would have been happy. My position should have placed me over the Field Leader employees, seeing that I was responsible for their work. Well, I did not get any respect for that job's responsibilities and there were a couple of contractors who had been put in the position in Data Quality and were being paid less than the Field Leaders, whose work they had to look over. Was that fair? I

Advice to Management

Instead of worrying about being a "yes" man to the upper management, maybe you should be more concerned of the people that work for you.

10. awesome company

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People Integrity Mission Type of work Locations Diversity of work

Cons

Huge company. There are not many cons at all.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing

Project Accountant

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Great people, understanding managers. Off on Fridays. Great flexibility of work-life balance.

Cons

Not very many opportunities to grow for non-engineering disciplines.

Showing 948 of 1,013 reviews