Jacobs

Updated January 27, 2015
3.4

Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule with half days on Fridays (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 23 reviews)

• Seems to go against there "People are our greatest asset" motto (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced environment, not enough resources

I worked at Jacobs (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart business strategies - diversification and focus on relationship based sales model helps them to be somewhat more stable than some others in industry. Strong safety culture. Benefits average for the industry, below average for Fortune 500 but that's typical for E&C. Satisfaction with your job will largely be dependent on your supervisor, so interview them carefully.

Cons

The company expects a lot but doesn't give you enough resources to do your job adequately. Very tight on any overhead money, they want to grow, grow, grow, but don't want to put enough money into building their internal infrastructure to support the growth. White males dominate, they say they support diversity but you don't see it in leadership. Tolerant of bullies in management if they achieve results. Open plan office at Corporate is hated by staff who sit on top of each other with no privacy.

Penny wise and pound foolish philosophy hurts you in the long run. Abusive management is costly, you don't get the best work out of people in those circumstances so take complaints seriously and take action quickly.

Has the potential to be a good company if . . .

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dugway, UT

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime, comparable salary, decent workers

Cons

Horrible management, "good ol' boy" club, nepotism

I really enjoyed my job at Jacobs as a Project Manager (Test Officer) in support of the Special Programs Division on Dugway. After working *very* hard almost nonstop for 2 years and being awarded with numerous accolades, I was rewarded by being laid off. Just goes to show that Jacobs Dugway Team management doesn't believe in hard work; they believe in nepotism. If you aren't in the "Good Ol' Boy Club" or you are a woman in a position of power, you won't stand a chance.

I've heard it's a great company to work for everywhere else but Dugway

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dugway, UT

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits; comparable pay; lots of overtime; able to manage without upper management interference (most of the time, anyway); interesting work; decent people (excluding most management).

Cons

Upper management is a joke; "good ol' boy" club; nepotism; their focus on safety is extreme; bottom line and bonuses are more important to management than employees.

I really enjoyed my job at Jacobs as a Project Manager in support of the Special Programs Division at Dugway. After working *very* hard almost nonstop for 2 years and being awarded with numerous accolades, I was rewarded by being laid off because I wasn't part of the "club." Just goes to show that Jacobs Dugway Team management doesn't believe in hard work; they believe in nepotism. If you aren't in the "Good Ol' Boy Club" or you are a woman in a position of power, you won't stand a chance. Management should focus more on results than on who is their friend.

Inconsistent work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very knowledgeable staff. Interesting projects. Senior staff is very good and willing to mentor junior staff.

Cons

Work sharing is poor across nationwide offices. The work is not steady and the company lacks innovation (all depends on which division you are in though).

Too much micromanagement, should just let the design team do its job.

Jacobs review

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Safest place I have ever worked.

Cons

The benefits are not competitive with other Company's.

"People are our greatest asset"??? Words of advice, in case your company is also acquired by Jacobs.

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The half-day Friday schedule was nice, but eventually other things made that benefit not worth the other negative items.
    Safety conscience. Steady employment through sheer momentum as a large company.

Cons

Constant looming burden of Utilization, regardless of how you performed as an employee.
    No rewards for going above and beyond the expected 'average' performance. No punishment for employees that don't pull their own weight and constantly perform below the expected 'average' performance.
    Every project consideration was mainly based on the ability to limit company liability. Smaller clients that we had served for years prior to the acquisition were not considered viable to continue to serve. Smaller project fee's not deemed worthy of even considering. Getting a project contract in place could take 6 weeks, while the client is waiting, due to the vast levels of approval that have to be waded through.

I performed at a level above the expected average employee for years and years, without any recognition or incentive to continue. This 'averaging' of the employee output either causes you to normalize to the other employees, and not give your best on projects, or causes you to leave and go somewhere where your skills and hard work will be recognized. I probably stayed 2-3 years longer than I should have, hoping that things might be able to change within our local office. The bottom line is that the management program and the people within it have a set formula and scheme on what metrics to watch, and utilization and the 12-week manpower forecast are the most important numbers to them.

Good place to start at

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Great exposure, personal growth, good opportunities, good hours

Cons

time off policies & benefits, bonuses, quality of projects

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

They paid a good salary but were quick to round up older workers for pink slips when contracts ended.

Cons

They make you work when sick. Bad idea.

Having meetings for the sake of meetings is useless.

Structural Engineer

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Half-day Fridays and the location.

Cons

Slackers will make you work harder. The company cares more about making money than making a good product.

Safety focused and dollar driven.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary and their strong safety culture

Cons

If you are not billing hours your job is insecure.

Stop being so dollar driven and you will create more security for the staff and a better work environment.