Jacobs Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
877 reviews filtered by

They buy out companies and let employees go all the time. If you want job security, this would not be the place to be.

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

If you are not bringing millions of dollars into this company, you are no longer needed

Advice to Management

Respect and value all your employees.

Wish they practiced what they preach...

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Once you've established your credibility, they will allow some flexibility in your work schedule. 1/2 day Fridays are nice. The new open floor plan office does a nice job of equalizing all positions rather than management being sequestered behind closed doors. Managers are now more aware of what is happening on the floor because they are in the middle of it. Even though they might not do anything about issues, they can't say they don't know what's going on.

Cons

The lack of accountability is disheartening. I was personally attacked verbally on more than one occasion by a manager. The last time, it was witnessed by another employee who filed a complaint with HR. Because of who hired this person, the incident was swept under the carpet, and I was basically removed from the situation. The same person acted the same way against another employee, and that employee quit over the treatment. After giving notice, this employee notified the company's integrity hotline, local HR and regional HR. To date (many months later), no action has been taken. Two other employees have quit as well over treatment by this manager. It goes against the whole "People are our greatest asset" mantra that is repeated to us over and over.

Also, at the end of almost every quarter, management encourages everyone to take time off to help the overhead numbers. If you work at Jacobs, you better hoard your PTO because only getting 3 weeks a year and being STRONGLY encouraged to take off at the end of every quarter will leave you with nothing for your own personal use. Then, after trying to be a team player and take the time off, you are rewarded with minuscule raises.

Jacobs also gives very few holidays, no personal days, and the least amount of PTO of any company that I've ever worked for. You get an extra week upon completing year 5, then another after completing year 15. After that, no more increases!!

If you prove yourself competent, they will work you to exhaustion while your coworkers spends their days playing on the internet, coming in late/leaving early, visiting, and taking long lunch hours Absolutely no accountability or repercussions.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable. If you hear the same feedback about the same person, there has to be some truth in what you're hearing. Also, when overhead numbers are too high, you always lay off underlings. Many times one manager makes more than the 2 or 3 that get laid off and does way less work. Management rarely gets hit with layoffs no matter how unproductive or unsuccessful they are in their positions. In fact, it often appears that those who can't perform the actual jobs are promoted to manage the individuals that can get the work out the door.

3. Structural Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Structural Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Structural Engineering Intern

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

- Diverse environment
    - Interesting projects

Cons

- Some of the younger interns did nontechnical work such as making copies etc. They should give given other work so that they could learn.

Cheapest company I've ever worked for.

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

Interesting, varied work. If you are an engineer/ designer, you may have a future.

Cons

Executive management nearly tanked the company buying a world-wide firm without doing their due diligence costing thousands their jobs when they had to cut overheads to pay for the turkey.

Advice to Management

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

6. No problems

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has always looked out for me even as the actual jobs I was performing came to an end. I have transitioned into 2 other positions with no problems.

Cons

None really to speak of... most my time with this company I was overseas... with that being said I did not have to deal with to much bureaucracy.

Things are changing, but not for the good.

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

There are good opportunities for people outside of the company who wish to join. Not good for existing non-VP employees.

Cons

So many things that needed to change a while ago, are all happening at once with very little concern for anyone that’s not a VP of HR. HR members in the regions, and even at the Corporate Headquarters are all tired and overworked. There's already a bit of an exodus underway.

Advice to Management

Stop, breathe and remember what made the company great: the mission, the culture, the purpose. You're losing that slowly in the regions. It will be too late to do anything if you don't notice it now.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Large company with great growth opportunities for those with a drive.

Cons

Company very lean and no employment stability due to project based work

business first, employee second.

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

good environment for someone not conscious of their surroundings

Cons

leadership, office culture, poor management, favoritism

Advice to Management

personal growth and professional training options.

Performance Review

Current Employee - Engineer in India, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in India, TX

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Not any pros regarding performance review. Bosses start advising rather than acknowledging.

Cons

Your career growth depends on Boss and not on the performance.

Advice to Management

Change the Review process and improve adamant bosses.

11. Balanced

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

The Global Building sector of this company has a great sense of work/life balance. People work quickly and efficiently and their personal lives are respected. Not many holidays or vacation days, and no bonuses, but the people are incredible and the work is stable.

Cons

No bonuses and low number of PTO.