Jacobs

Updated December 14, 2014
3.4

Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule with half days on Fridays (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 23 reviews)

• Seems to go against there "People are our greatest asset" motto (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical EPC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Salary, plenty of backlog

Cons

If you are not in the click, you are not going to be advancing and your experience will be like working at any body shop EPC.

It was great while it lasted.

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

Great people and benefits. Work hours and load allowed for a good work/life balance. Pay was above average for the area and the field of engineering I worked in. Company is very committed to safety.

Cons

Company really doesn't value their employees. When people are laid off, it is effective immediately. Poor severance package. Little to no training in the office I worked in. Few promotions and little advancement.

It is a space division. We supporting Nasa works.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly enviroments. Benefit is good . It pays good.

Cons

The contract is base on Nasa budgets. It is unstable environment now.

Did not live up to its potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Steady work for the most part
    Opportunity to travel
    Flexible schedules
    Name recognition

Cons

Management should receive professional training
    Interesting to see that comments indicate management cronyism is similar across offices
    Loyalty to employee is not the bottom line
    Poor efforts on compensation - especially after professional/licensed status is achieved

Seek to build up, develop and grow your staff into leaders
    If you care about your people the company will flourish
    Consider term limits for leadership positions

I'm a Web Developer in Lab Management System

Current Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Jacobs as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good experience, skills, teamwork, no restriction, feel free

Cons

no benefits, no promotion or awards, bad management and supervision

In Crowed or Not

I worked at Jacobs as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many unless you are related

Cons

If you are not part of the in crowed life will be hard and employment short. If you are applying for a job it will be difficult to get.

Watch for relations between management and current and potential employee's.

Fast paced environment

Former Employee - Site Acquisition Specialiat in Madison, TN
    Former Employee - Site Acquisition Specialiat in Madison, TN

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Support staff was great, PM was great (based in Chicago). Cx manager also very good. Created friendly atmosphere. Safety a priority for everyone. HR great! Offered everything a company that size should.

Cons

Original upper management did not seem to be in tune with "boots on ground". Company that originally hired me was in Chicago. We were acquired and downsized due to loss of project which was beyond anyone's control. Typical of wireless telecom industry. Local management (Real Estate division) was mostly focused on his " pet project" read;"job security" as he frequently put it and would not give necessary attention to the bigger picture. Buyout left a lot of worrying and I was laid off in favor of keeping less experienced and underpaid "green" employees. However they were good people and quick learners. I am sure they are doing well. Enjoyed sharing my knowledge and tutoring them. I learned from them as well when topics came up I had not dealt with in some time. Keep free thinking and thought sharing a priority. Helps entire team

Keep close tab on local presence. Get entire story and realize where the production actually comes from and realize sacrifices are being made in life away from office. Work is work but lives are lives /beyond zero should include toll and stress the particular jobs takes. Things are not always what is reported. Overall a tough project with unrealistic demands from client but those with client's ear should/could support local staff. Recognize experience, talent, education and relationships exists within the industry that can be used as an advantage not a liability. This could have been what got the project to go that far. Utilize individual strengths and grow talent when a perceived weakness is shown or reported. Those reporting may be projecting their own shortcomings. Speak to those the employee work with and is in contact with daily. Get full story. Sometimes the most loyal and dedicated employees are right under your nose. Their personality may simply be non confrontational. Other issues may be going on that are distracting. Concern for employees will pay great dividends. Recognize skill sets of each individual. There is no dollar value for honesty and loyalty. Many lessons learned. If layoff is looming give ample time and support to relocate or transfer to those that gave much to your bottom line. Company was in transition so stress for everyone was high. Recognize burnout and offer positions better suited to that loyal and honest individual. You still reap the rewards. Window dressing type actions taken because you have to in order to cover one's a** is not the right reason to care.
    Cx PM and Cx manager or others could have been consulted for better picture.

Great company

Current Employee - Safety Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They keep all wel informed and up todate with all co aspects, have many internet functions set up if u need any help. People are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Need more 1to1 interaction , more supervision accesability

Slim down some of the steps in payroll,

Great Company

Former Employee - Project Controls I in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Project Controls I in Greenville, SC

I worked at Jacobs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, personal and professional growth, core values, great salaries

Cons

training, engineering industry is cyclical meaning one day you have a job and the next you may have to get transferred (this comes with any EPC company), no real emphasis on education or leadership

Come up with a solid training program, take the time and money to fix JPCS and other Jacobs programs (the money spent fixing it is far less than the time employees use to get through the programs' bugs)

One of the best DoD contractors.

Former Employee - Programmer III in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Programmer III in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, good pay, flexible schedule (Alternate Work Schedule), job growth, helpful HR department, great management team, and good coworkers.

Cons

A lot of the time it felt as if the team was understaffed due to the workload. Aggressive project due dates. Long hours.

Keep up the great work.