Jacobs

Updated June 30, 2014
3.4

Jacobs President, CEO, and Director Craig L. Martin
Craig L. Martin

Pros
  • While not the best pay in the world for an engineer, the work life balance makes up for the low pay (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, flexible work schedule with half days on Fridays (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Our department tried to purchase 2 new laptops for new senior management (in 23 reviews)

• Seems to go against there "People are our greatest asset" motto (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I liked the people I worked with

Former Employee - Designer in Tullahoma, TN
    Former Employee - Designer in Tullahoma, TN

I worked at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Good benefits, growth depending on connections. Promotions were hard to come by, but it could be that I didn't have them. One was assigned to work downtown (main office) or elsewhere.

Cons

There was a cozy corporate culture that meant that you had to be connected to be considered part of the in crowd. They where very nice about time-off, I didn't have extra perks but you could arrange to schedule hours worked around life at times. They did lack training opportunities, that they could improve.

Help employees more by offering more training opportunities. The corporate culture needs to be more open.

Excellent company, great people, and interesting work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jacobs fosters a relationship-based environment. Believe it or not, everyone works as a team and is willing to contribute to satisfying customer needs. I'm proud to say, "I Jacobs Blue Through and Through!"

Cons

I haven't found any cons working with Jacobs.

Keep up the good work!

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is Challenging and rewarding. Everyone seems to work well together and everyone is treated fairly. The management is very good from the top the the lowest level. Safety is a top priority. And the pay is very good with good raises each year. The benefits are average.

Cons

Jacobs Technology is heavy into government contracts, when the federal budgets go down, so goes business. Aside from the government, there is little other business.

diversify the customer base

Reliable, Stable, Fair and Challenging.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

For those that don't shy away from hard work, you will enjoy working here. Hard work is recognized and rewarded with great compensation and exciting projects. Long-term employment is prevalent with this company. There are many people with 30 and 40 year careers still working for the company. Turnover is very low.

Cons

There are not very many opportunities for step-function growth. For those that start with JT in their early career, the climb is long and perhaps a bit impossible. The best place to enter JT is in mid-management, when you are confident in your trade and ready to take on more.

Try to find ways to grow (and recognize growth) in more junior employees so they don't need to leave to make those larger leaps in their career.
    Keep doing a great job recognizing project sucesses and making hard work rewarding.

Great company. Focused on doing the right thing for employees. Proud of the work we do in support of country.

Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Team Member in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at Jacobs

Pros

Challenging Work, Competent Staff, Competitive Salaries & Benefits, Caring Leadership, Work-Life Balance, Humble Culture, Able to Grow Professionally and Personally

Cons

Lack of Branding (reference humility in "Pros" section), Communication to employees from top leadership (might blog or visit sites more)

Keep pushing the Culture of Caring and continue focus outside of just safety with that mindset. Proud of this company.

Run away! Run away!

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Tullahoma, TN
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Tullahoma, TN

I worked at Jacobs

Pros

I'm trying to think of one hundred words of good stuff about Jacobs Engineering (Sverdrup). Normally, these things can be filled with lots of fluff about the quality of the people you worked with compared to the management, but that's really not the case here. This company (at least on the IT side) is riddled with people who are incompetent, care nothing for the mess they make for other people, gossip incessantly and seem to go out of their way to avoid work at all costs knowing that the few people with a clue will pick up the slack. Ugh.

Cons

Lies, lies and more lies. I've never seen a company lie to its employees so frequently. Good managers are pushed aside due to nepotism, and employees who actually work are used abusively with travel that was never agreed to as well as working shifts up to 72 hours long to fix a manager's mistake. To make it worse, Sverdrup (the division of JE I worked for) is located in a cesspool of a town with absolutely no other opportunities for a decent job in IT, so they know they have you over a barrel if they convince you to move there. Overall, I would never recommend to anyone to even think about working there.

Hit the reset button on every manager in the place, starting with their deceitful HR department.