Jaffe and Asher

Updated Jan 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

J.D. Rainey

Relatively easy-going work environment. Not the place to gain the important post-JD legal work experience.

Paralegal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jaffe and Asher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFor a law firm, as long as you got your work done, nobody would bother you or make unreasonable requests.

ConsThe pay is unbelievably low, and you won't get a raise unless you ask them. Even still, some practices within the firm look down upon other practices. Not really a legitimate law firm in that they are basically paper-pushers and salesman, as never really use the tools gained through the attorneys' legal education. Not much lawyering going on around here. I suppose this is due to the nature of their practice, 90 percent of which is creditor's rights, i.e., debt collection.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the paralegals. For most of the business going through the firm, the paralegals are the ones doing the lion's share of the work. Also, I would say to come up with some way to arrange the practice so that all of the attorneys can do some aspect of the litigation side, which would at least possibly give them a shot at a real legal job in the future. Just seems wrong to pigeon-hole fresh law graduates into a sphere that has no real application outside of debt collection.

Don't Do It!

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at Jaffe and Asher full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat location and a pay check.

ConsGlorified debt collectors unable to do anything else. A good place to start but little opportunity for advancement or challenging work. You have to really ask yourself if you want to be a debt collector.

Advice to Senior ManagementGain some integrity.

Management is Sexist and Incompetent

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at Jaffe and Asher full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocated near Grand Central. About the best thing you can say about this firm.

ConsThe firm is run (read, dictated) by a non-lawyer COO who has no legal experience whatsoever. This structure lends itself to decision-making that is not only improper, but highly unethical from a legal standpoint. All decisions are made by the COO, and he, combined with the all-male band of partners, are incredibly misogynistic and short-sighted when it comes to long-term growth and client retention.

Terrible place for lawyers to gain real legal experience. There is a small opportunity in the insurance group to do complex legal work, but the majority of the firm's attorneys are glorified debt collectors and paper pushers. Most attorneys never draft substantive legal documents or ever see the inside of a courtroom. And to top it all off, the pay is horrendous, and constantly shifting. The majority of the paycheck for attorneys comes in the form of "incentive pay" which is dictated by the COO's whims on a monthly basis. Any attempt to get clarity or transparency regarding where your money is coming from is met with resistance and professional backlash.

This firm has clearly been able to profit off of a weak legal economy, and has accordingly taken huge advantage of a surplus of new and desperate lawyers graduating from law school. However, as the economy improves, and as attorneys start to have more options, this firm will no longer be able to operate at this level. Most attorneys there are desperate to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, starting at the very top.

Not the place to be for personal or professional development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Jaffe and Asher full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a paycheck, though not a very big one.

ConsColleagues are great, management leaves much to be desired to put it mildly. It's a revolving door. Everyone is planning their exit strategy.

Management is incompetent

Paralegal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Jaffe and Asher full-time

ProsThe only pro is that the working hours aren't insane, and for a graduate straight out of college, it's not a bad first job. The pay isn't great, but the hours are a typical 9-5. If a person wants to be a career paralegal, then this is a good place to start, or someone thinking about law school will have time to study for the LSATs and put together an application.

ConsLaw firms generally do not have CEO's- they have partners. Jaffe & Asher is odd in that it has a CEO who does not have a law degree.
The firm's primary practice area is commercial litigation. A small group of attorneys actually practice "real law". Their cases are complex, and an attorney who works in this small practice group will learn valuable skills.
The majority of the firm deals in debt collection. I would not recommend a newly minted attorney working in this area of the firm, unless they are literally about to lose their home. You do not learn valuable skills, and so it is very difficult to find a new job when the time comes. The cases are open-shut, and many attorneys do not even go to court, they only collect money from debtors and sign or notarize an occasional document.
Management is incompetent. Nice, but incompetent. Particularly middle management.
The turnover rate at the firm is incredibly high- I estimate somewhere between 20 and 30 percent. Some of this is because the paralegals never planned to stay anyway and needed something to do in the year between college and law school, but a lot of the turnover is because lawyers and paralegals become disgruntled. The work is not challenging or exciting, the pay is too low to keep people happy, and management is incompetent.
There is little room for advancement for paralegals. There is some room for attorneys to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your paralegals more, and that way you can get better quality work out of them. Paralegals are the ones that keep the paper shuffling through the system, and the only way to keep your paralegals for more than 2 years is by paying them more.

Worked for Jaffe and Asher? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jaffe and Asher reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jaffe and Asher CEO J.D. Rainey. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Jaffe and Asher employees.