Jagex Reviews

71 reviews filtered by
2.1
Jagex CEO Rod Cousens
Rod Cousens

Pros
  • The people are great, all interesting, capable and all care about the finished product (in 9 reviews)

• Oh and the benefits that we get, such as free fruit and gym membership (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • In the past senior management was ignorant of the competition and thus lacked vision (in 9 reviews)

• Generally very poor relations between upper management and development teams (in 6 reviews)

1. Lovely place to work

I have been working at Jagex

Pros

The benefits are like nothing i have ever seen before when working for other companies.
    Lots of lovely, driven people.
    Everyone willing to help each other out.

Cons

I don't feel there are any cons

Lovely.

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free gym
    - Other benefits such as free fruit
    - Great co workers
    - Overall great
    - Generally a good atmosphere
    - Good salary
    - A high skilled amount of co workers

Cons

- The CEO should have some more trust to the employers.
    - Salary COULD be higher
    - The work hours can be a little long some times

Advice to Management

- Remember to listen to the people who works for you. You have to start listening some more to the players too.

Great Place to work with great people!!

Current Employee - Jagex Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Jagex Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great!! I am working with some of the most talented people I have ever met in my life. A vast majority of the people at Jagex are not only work colleagues but also friends in and out of work.

Jagex is a very personable organisation and has a great employee benefits program including the softer benefits such as team fun funds, canteen, games room, bicycle repairs.

They're also really keen to get involved in supporting local charities which is really important to me.

Cons

There is a small but vocal minority of people who always seem to focus on the negative side of anything for example we have great facilities here with a stunning office space yet they moan about the integrity of the hand towels in the toilets.

Great place to work! Exciting and full of opportunity (for people with the right attitude!)

Current Employee - Technical Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people...I love my team, and ive made great friends here in a relatively short time.
    Great benefits that resonate well with me and my friends.
    Exciting work, its just cool working in the games industry and i love the status that gives me
    Really cool office, especially since the canteen was set up as the food is brilliant and the staff great
    Plenty of opportunities to develop and excel
    A genuine company that tries to do the right thing
    Great support when relocating to the area and a more friendly HR team than ive ever experienced

Cons

Growing very fast means a lot of change occurs regularly, but this isnt necessarily a bad thing as creates opportunities for people with the right attitude
    There are a few v negative people here, many of them have been around for years and havnt worked anywhere else yet think they know everything and moan constantly about the new ideas being brought in by new blood. Their inflexibility is a sign of their inexperience in the real world and sometimes they can really irritate me / the new blood.

Advice to Management

better strategies around integrating new starters with the old guard could be useful, though not sure what sort of things? Might relieve a friction point?

Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - MMORPG Content Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very well experienced staff, well paid, I enjoy working with the games. I'd even do voluntary work at Jagex!

Cons

Very few; maybe I've seen the better side, but it is a fantastic atmosphere, lovely staff and we have great events!

Advice to Management

Focus on less about the money and more about the opportunities and content.

7. Very good company to work for, benefits, promotions etc. Management structure, jollys, little buy in from most staff

Former Employee - Community Coordinator in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Not everyone bought in, management can be a waste of space

Advice to Management

Hire better senior people

8. Great work with interesting people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jagex had lots of incredibly talented and passionate people. Everyones incredibly supportive and no one ever says "That's not my job I'm not helping you".The games the Jagex make might not be AAA but that really care about getting the best work possible and aren't just looking to make a quick buck.

Jagex likes to promote from within and doesn't expect you to have had X years of experience or be the next person in line for the job or to get the best pieces of work. As long as you've shown you're good at your job you will be rewarded and noticed, Jagex is very good at spotting people that are working well and remembering them.

There aren't many business analyst types at Jagex and lots of work on a project tends to happen at the same time, this means as a developer you get early exposure to a project and often get to shape the way that it works. It also means that you get to see all parts of the game / web process for the systems that Jagex makes.

Jagex likes to make lots of things itself so you often get to work on internals of systems and libraries that you wouldn't get the possibility to work on in other places.

As a company Jagex treats it employees very well with the perks, office and benefits being very good. The Onsite canteen, games consoles and relaxation areas mean that the office is a relaxed office with a good atmosphere.

Cons

Certain parts of Jagex don't like to use much standard technology so if you like plugging standard technology A into standard technology B or using the latest buzzword framework then Jagex is unlikely to be for you. The homebrew nature of Jagex's technology means that lots of time doing something simple can be more frustrating than it should be and if you're ever stuck you can't just look on StackOverflow, but it makes the learning process more fun.

Jagex puts of really emphasis on quality so if somethings not good enough then there's a real chance that it will be scrapped and the work won't see the light of day. This can mean that there's often lots of iterations of a project with something that were pushed in often being take out or visa versa. This combined with often tight deadlines can often lead to some late nights or longer days every once in a while. Final sign off or adjustments often go up to the executive team who will see the final finished product so any changes or amendments often and up coming in at the last minute leading to rushing to the deadlines and lots of panic to get things finished before they launched.

Lots of the departments at Jagex seem to operate on the same level but independently this can lead to lots of being pulled in separate directions all at once sometimes.

Advice to Management

Ensure that people under you take and make decisions without having to have executive team members approve them. Let people be accountable for decisions they make without saying "Let me just run that past X"

Great team, incredible opportunities, farcical senior management.

Former Employee - Technology Team Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting and engaging work, career opportunities based on skill and hard work, workplace culture, work-home life balance, camaraderie and teamwork, friendship, strong technical ability amongst peers.

Cons

Squabbling capricious upper management, CEO with a god complex, one way communication, difficulty making swift moves, average to slightly below average salaries (although excellent benefits package somewhat compensates for this).

Advice to Management

Abdicate.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free gym members
    free food at night
    free fruit
    department get togethers

Cons

Sometimes work late
    office may seem a little cramped some times

Advice to Management

More Squeal of fortune promotions please!

Extremely enjoyable job

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks are awesome. If you need hardware or software, the company will get it and it will be setup for you within a day or two. The people you work with are great, they know about their subject matter and bouncing ideas can be really fun. The parties are the best ever. They give you bonuses if ever you go above and beyond the call of duty. Hours are really good.

Cons

The company hierarchy is fairly complex, there are a fair few hoops to jump through to find person you may be after. Due to this being a games company, requirements are fairly fluid which is just the nature of the beast but you must be prepared to roll with the punches as it were.

Advice to Management

Believe in your employees and trust in them that they are pulling in the same direction as you.

Jagex Photos

140 Cambridge Science Park (Photo thanks to Geograph user Keith Edkins, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo