James Construction Group

Updated May 22, 2014

Michael D. Killgore

A Real Career Opportunity

General Foreman (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsAn individual is recognized for effort, determination, and leadership. A job well-done does not go unnoticed by co-workers and most management teams. Those individuals who put forth the effort and motivation to learn their craft are almost always guaranteed a call back and transfer if available. Pay is not the highest, not the lowest, but the friendly and accommodating culture make this employer a worthwhile career venture.

ConsLot's of competition for limited job advancement positions, so patience and self-evaluation must be some of an employee's many characteristics.
    As I've seen with other companies, some projects tend to be clique-ish.
    Some projects require extended time away from home.
    Changes have recently been made to safety incentive programs - none are offered as of now.

Advice to Senior ManagementNourish a culture of learning/experience over remedial certifications. The certifications are almost completely useless and only breed entitlement and complacency.

Good experience

Site Safety (Former Employee) Texarkana, TX

ProsThe company showed its interest in the individual employees speaking with them frequently and answering any questions that may come up. The attitude of all the people that I met at the office and field was very good. I obtained my Mines Card from this company. If I need time to be away it was provided upon request.

ConsAs a part time person I had no long term outlook with the company. I wish they had more work requiring more safety people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have no comment to upper management as I got along with the field managers very well. My compensation was good and I enjoyed my work. The benefits were equal to other company's and I did not question them.

16yrs

Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

Prosthey give a lot of reason to work for a good company that's why I would like to retire their.

Conssome of the old workers passed and gone on because some of us were just like family.

Advice to Senior Managementin oreder to know what's going on you got to get envolve with all of the workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company to work for and they help you to perform your best in your duties.

Heavy Equipment Operator/Labor (Former Employee) Shreveport, LA

ProsYou can excel in the company to higher heights.

ConsNo downsides on this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Very good from management to employees in the field.

Site Safety (Former Employee)

ProsAll employees were treated well. Pay was on time weekly. Only used benefits one time and they were good.

ConsMy work was short term by contract

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not bad

Helper (Former Employee) Gonzales, LA

ProsGood pay, good supervision, safe work practices. Not a bad company to work for. The hours and pay were pretty good.

ConsIt's construction so the work it sporadic and sometimes requires lots of overtime. The pay made up for it though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell management to try to get more jobs building units in theses refineries. Otherwise I would say keep up the good work.

Everyone was great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsEmployee retention is excellent (30, 40 and 50 years). 5% company matching retirement is vested 100% weekly, Health plan is $25 Dr Visit, $400 annual deductible and 80%/20%. Training is abundant and offered frequently. Co workers are very nice and atmosphere is excellent.

ConsThere are not very many advancement opportunities in the corporate positions. If you did not graduate from LSU, you will be a bit of an outsider on game days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at James Construction Group is fair and open minded. The chain of command is precisely followed but the processes and policies are not always well documented. New employees may have trouble finding their way in certain situations.

Worked for James Construction Group? Contribute to the Community!