James Hardie Building Products

James Hardie Building Products Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

James Hardie Building Products CEO Louis Gries

Louis Gries

Very rewarding place to work.

Salaried (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at James Hardie Building Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowing organization with lot's of career opportunities. Excellent benefits. Personal growth and compensation are based on results and potential not tenure. Recently doing a lot more with personal development and appreciation. Very dynamic company with year over year positive margins.

ConsIf you are not a self-driven individual, i.e. you wait to be told what to do, this is not the place for you. Expectations are very high and this can be overwhelming to some.

Great Place for Great People

Manufacturing (Current Employee)

ProsGood comp and benefits, challenging work assignments, opportunity to work with highly driven team

ConsNot a company for people who just want "a job", engagement is expected and demanded, if you are not the real deal you will wind up writing one of these negative reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume that most of the value in the organization is at the top

Fast paced, challenging and rewarding

I have been working at James Hardie Building Products

ProsProduct Leadership, opportunity due to growth, constant change, autonomy, business model, cross functional promotions, compensation, benefits - overall work environment is very enjoyable, people are straight forward in communication so for the most part you always know where you stand with others you work closely with.

ConsThe company leadership is reactive, performance expectations are high and standards are always increasing so it is a challenge to sustain at the expected level all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow more layers of management needs to be added in sales so that the ratio of leader to employee is smaller which will allow for more one on one for training and development.

Great place to grow and develop

I have been working at James Hardie Building Products

ProsFor employees willing to apply themselves, James Hardie will provide unparalleled opportunities for career growth. James Hardie is positioned for business growth coming out of the housing downturn; the company's future is very bright. It is an ideal size company to learn all the mechanics of the business and have a real individual impact.

ConsYou will work hard and should expect to push yourself to seek process improvements. If you are comfortable and want a 9-5 job this is not the organization for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease positive recognition

Great opportunity for people who compete

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at James Hardie Building Products

ProsWilling to give people responsibility beyond their experience. Competitive atmosphere. Aggressive company. Great place to learn as they invest in developing people.

ConsMoneyball: Poor pay, so the performers get traded to better team. Good culture of competition, but borders on cut-throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring a bit more balance in the culture. Keep competition, but cant have good people fearing for their job and looking elsewhere.

An excellent company that allows you to do what you need to do to get the job done.

Senior Commodity Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at James Hardie Building Products

ProsExcellent salary & benefits.
Casual dress code every day.
It's OK to think outside the box.

ConsThey are tied to the housing market.....which right now is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf given the opportunity to work for JHBP again, I would.

I enjoyed my tenure at JH....I would work for them again should a higher management job come up in my geographical area.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at James Hardie Building Products

ProsVery aggressive company. Fast paced....not for the weak at heart. If you are a determined individual that expects nothing less from others as you expect from yourself...this is the place to be.

Conslots of reporting and not enough management knowledge about the individual territories.

Advice to Senior Managementforced ranking should be stopped....try to develop your people further. Team work needs to be stressed and less stress put on minor detail accounting.

Challenging Environment, Always Changing

Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at James Hardie Building Products full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company takes care of it's employees, they provide some of the best benefits of any company that I have ever worked for, and the products they manufacture are without question the absolute best in the industry. There are abundant opportunities for moving up in the company, if you don't mind moving or traveling.

ConsConstantly changing environment and personnel, which makes it difficult to know who to contact for what. There is no "company directory", you are just supposed to know who to contact for answers, most likely your manager, which makes it look like you don't know anything. You are micromanaged, but scorned if you don't think for yourself. The company sets lofty goals, which are attainable primarily because the product is superior to the competition, but don't expect a pat on the back, or any congrats for your achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess turnover, more focused appreciation for what employees are doing. It's not a weakness to tell someone that they are doing a good job.

Hardwork is Rewarded

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at James Hardie Building Products full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPromotes success, personal initiative is rewarded when successful, lots of positions open to those that will relocate

Consperformance management company; the bottom 10%+ or turned over yearly,

Advice to Senior ManagementThey hardly stay around long enough to give advice to

Great Company to work for.

ProsGreat Products, Sales training, and people

Consstarting salary is a little low

Worked for James Hardie Building Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at James Hardie Building Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for James Hardie Building Products CEO Louis Gries. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by James Hardie Building Products employees.