James Madison University

Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

James Madison University President Jonathan R. Alger
Jonathan R. Alger

Pros
  • Beautiful campus in the Shenandoah Valley (in 7 reviews)

• Organization promotes work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries a little low, I don't know what the minimum wage is in Virginia but they good possibly bump some hourly salaries up a bit (in 5 reviews)

• Student employees start at minimum wage (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great school

I have been working at James Madison University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are very friendly in JMU. As a student / lab assistant, I love to work in this very supportive environment. From my observation, the professors in JMU are as warm as the students. It is normal to see professors and students bump in each other and have lunch together.

Cons

There is not that much to do in Harrisonburg if you are young adult and you like the big city life. Harrisonburg and the Valley offer a quiet, laid back, close to nature life. There are Skyline drive or Massanutten ski resort.

Keep up the good work JMU!

Great place to work - good culture, family

Former Employee - Web Developer in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at James Madison University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Madison culture is truly a great place to be - the student body has a wonderful and positive spirit.

Cons

Not a lot to do in Harrisonburg and didn't always agree with university policies.

Transparency

Student Employee

I have been working at James Madison University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally good work/life balance, easy to communicate with other staff, student-centered focus so they are there to help you develop professional skills. Not a bad place to work for as a student, just make sure you get to know your potential boss ahead of time. Initiative is rewarded or encouraged.

Cons

Bosses may be more oriented to university than professional world, more interpersonal than business focus in some cases.

Keep finding ways to improve.

Nice Place to Work - good culture

Current Employee - Professor, Business in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Professor, Business in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at James Madison University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Well paid. Collegial environment

Cons

Growing; not sure when it will stop.

Control the growth, especially during times of resource constraints.

Very enjoyable

I have been working at James Madison University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Possibility of growth, great sense of community, felt supported by upper management, DUKES

Cons

Compensation lacking a bit, but you're able to get by, limitations for part-time and student employees

Maybe some more dialogue between departments

Great Experience with the JMU physics department

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at James Madison University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment and a very good support network. Whenever I had a question I had no shortage of people who were willing and able to help me.

Cons

I only had issues with filling out the same forms for multiple offices. There was a major lack of interoffice communication on campus. This is my only complaint

Loved my experience at this institution

I worked at James Madison University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff, student-centered, open to new opportunities and ideas, beautiful campus, city of Harrisonburg is growing with things to do / stores / etc.

Cons

Because staff members like it so much they never leave - making it very difficult to advance. Also, pay is not the highest.

Attend to find space in the budget to give raises.

Treats Student Employees Well

I worked at James Madison University part-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working for James Madison University. They were flexible, which as a student is so important.

Cons

No cons, really. Maybe more benefits.

Work-life balance is great. No further advice.

Wouldn't wish a job here on my enemies

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at James Madison University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

James Madison University has a Beautiful campus, its nestled in a nice small town, the state benefits are decent and the given time off per year is great.

Cons

I've noticed in my time here that within the last 6 years or so this establishment has completely went upside down for the worse. This place definitely runs on a Buddy System. You get places within by knowing people and or brown nosing the right people. If you step on the wrong toes or get on someones bad side you will never advance here. Bullying is very evendent. Its a shame that this goes on because JMU is full of wonderful people and has great opportunities. The common sense factor is loooong gone and ethics are nonexistent in most upper positions. Management positions are simply figure heads that have no idea about anything in the shops they manage and they are told what to do by their puppet masters above them. Its evident that when hiring these positions they want a "yes man" employee. If you are good at your job you will be held back from moving up/around and if you are not doing good then they will press you out in some way, shape or form. I've seen this happen to more than a few people and it's not right. Don't work here on any level is my opinion. Its not worth it. Lastly, HR is pointless. They are suppose to stop this lack of ethics and stand up for the workers which they don't do. They too are told what to do by these bullies. That's why HR positions are always open or shortly filled here. Its a revolving door for them. They get sick of not being able to do their jobs.

Grow some and stand up for yourselves and your people. Be heard and stop being puppets. Stop the bullying. Take some of that management money and buy yourselves a few ethics classes.

Toxic work environment, nonexistent leadership. Only downside to my being forced out is no income for a while.

Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Assistant in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at James Madison University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers who were knowledgeable. Beautiful campus, nice little city. The workers who weren't in the "in" crowd were the most genuine and caring and, therefore, the most pleasant to work with.

Cons

Narcissistic leaders bring in buddies, bully those they don't like, and take all credit for themselves. Changes are made to satisfy an agenda, not to further the work of the division. Underlings slink around and speak in whispers, looking furtively over their shoulder lest they be overheard. This is no way to work. A few who had the courage to stand up to the bullies were mysteriously gone not long after. HR is complicit in the bullying atmosphere, sitting silently in a meeting while employees are harangued and told "if you don't like it, there's the door" while being shown a picture of the door. Who wants to work for such an ogre?

Stop hiring brown nosers who have no idea what they are doing. Stop sexism and ageism in hiring and promotion. Stop bullying and harassing your workers. Actually support employees, rather than creating a toxic atmosphere. Remember that you don't lead from behind, you lead by example.

James Madison University Photos