James Publishing

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
2.4

Jim Pawell

Good culture, disappointing ending.

I worked at James Publishing full-time

Pros

coworkers, environment, there is definitely an opportunity to advance.

Cons

gossip, being told things are fine when they aren't, no forewarning to eventual release.

I would say to let people know that there needs to be an uptick in productivity and not to repeatedly say things are going great when they aren't. There are adjustment periods when trying to adapt to an unfamiliar title and when you are told that you will have plenty of time to adapt but then are cut short when things are seemingly improving it is very disappointing.

You can lose your salary with little warning, so keep a backup plan

I have been working at James Publishing

Pros

Paid on time, while I was being paid
    Interesting work

Cons

I'll keep this short -- if you work here, either full time or as a contractor, have a backup plan. I was always praised for my work until one day, out of the blue, I was fired. When I was fired, I was given examples of work I had done poorly... Interestingly, I was previously told that I had done a great job on these exact same projects. You can't really predict how things will work out here. I think it all depends on management's mood.

Lie after Lie

I worked at James Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, and the check always cleared.

Cons

Employees are not appreciated. Question the lack of leadership and you're out. Especially if you are 100% correct. President will always blame everyone else for his lack of experience and leadership. It makes the owner look like he doesn't have a clue.

Stop the President from running your company into the ground! The glass is half empty, open your eyes.

An Anxiety Attack

I worked at James Publishing

Pros

Payroll never bounced, and the beer on Fridays.

Cons

The CEO is a joke. The owner might be the dumbest educated man I've ever met. In my interview, they mentioned a high turnover rate. That right there should have been flashing red lights!!! I was terminated for data input inaccuracy, when I asked to give me an example, Jim told me "he didn't have one." However, did say his president stayed up till 2am correcting my mistakes. So, with that being plural, I would think he would have not one but a few examples. Then tells me, he'll pay me for my 8 hour day so long as I let them know what I was working on. Really? If I was inaccurate with my work, why would he want any direction from me. However, 2 weeks prior to being let go, I told the president he lacked communication skills. This company promoted me, gave me a significant raise, allowed me to interview, make decisions on who to hire, then terminated me. What it boils down to, you have this "president" running a company who has made errors in the 100's of thousands of dollars and if you don't go with his flow, you're gone. The president was a former salesman, that's his calling, not running a company.

Exciting, supportive place to work

I have been working at James Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

James Publishing is a rewarding place to work for many reasons, including:

- Open door policy. Both the president and founder are always available to chat about strategy, priorities, or general career advice.

- Opportunity to wear multiple hats. The president is continually pushing innovation in this fast-paced environment. Independent, proactive, problem-solving employees thrive, while those who need more oversight and handholding may struggle.

- Entrepreneurial mindset. Working at James Publishing is like working at a startup that’s been around for more than 30 years. The company is in sound financial standing and has a rich history of providing the highest quality product to its customers. Yet, upper management empowers staffers to be nimble, come up with new ideas, and pursue out-of-the-box efforts.

- If you work diligently to help drive the company forward there’s great room for growth at James Publishing. When a position becomes vacant, management prefers to promote from within. There’s great upside here both in terms of opportunity and compensation.

- The president and founder sincerely appreciate hard work and will handsomely reward it. Salaries and benefits are very competitive and a flexible work schedule is a plus.

- Work-life balance is emphasized. Other added bonuses like ping pong tournaments, weekly yoga and regular company barbecues create great camaraderie.

Cons

Unfortunately, there has been quite a bit of turnover in the past few months. However, that’s to be expected when a company is going through such a major transition.

Believe in your team. You have a wonderful group of people who truly see your vision. Fully trust and support them and they will help make James Publishing a profitable, fun company for years to come.

Surprises on every turn!

I worked at James Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is amazing at paying people on time and keeping up with letting go 3 unsuspecting employees per month, never been at an office that had so many surprises, keeps you on your toes.

If you enjoy the unknown and a slight level of anxiety, the offices at JP is what's good for you. Sometimes if I don't feel anxiety, I don't feel like I'm living.

The President makes me feel like I'm living my childhood! All this "she said, he said " stuff has me feeling nostalgic for my middle school drama, never have I felt so young in a work environment, it's great!

New friends EVERYWHERE! New people are always being hired. They always seem to need to let go of someone, but no worries here, as long as you "WORK HARD" you "shouldn't" have to worry. But then again, everyone gets a nice "you're fired" surprise once every Friday.

Don't forget, you know it's an awesome work place when you can bring your pets, play games, have beer on Fridays, those things should by-default negate all the horrid things...duh!

Cons

Not enough meetings!!!
    Why did the owner himself have to write a review on Glassdoor? It's sad no? Shouldn't something like this be directly communicated to the employees versus trying to passively defend your online reputation?

Everyone who has been fired has been "stealing". No warnings.

yes "Supervision is light. Depending upon your perspective and needs, that can be good or bad.

Performance expectations can be high." Some people don't operate that way, that's why a variety of workers are valued in growing business. Always be open, always be transparent.

CHECK your president, for real. So many GREAT workers have been fired over invalid reasons, no matter how much he will justify their termination. If great people haven't been fired, they have left or right now are secretly trying to leave.

Unethical Company to Work For

I have been working at James Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can get drunk at work and they encourage it.

Cons

What the 'owner' stated is pretty much false and if you ever have worked for JP you would know that to be the case. Promoting drinking on the job or even after work on work premise, I don't see as a positive, if anything, I see it as a liability. They let people go left and right stating that it's because sales were down, or they would be blamed for issues that they never had a hand in and that management made them take the fall for in place of management taking responsibility themselves. It is a shame because the regular employees suffered and continue to suffer due to poor management. There were even ex employees that had suits against JP for moneys not paid to them as promised etc. They make up their own rules as they go along and if you ever question them, you are gone. Either fired or let go, your time will be short if you are a hard working employee with ideas for improvement or if you point out improvements to management.

You can't win over employees or individuals with booze and parties. You win over employees and individuals with an ethical place to work. Create a better environment with less booze and parties and a less letting go and firing. Hire with more confidence and take pride with whom you hire, instead of being so wishy washy on what you want for an employee. Stop letting people go and firing them because of management mistakes done by management. Take some responsibility for your actions and what you do. That is a part of being in management. Not throwing your hard working employees under the bus for your mistakes and setbacks.

President of the Company is a Joke

I worked at James Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A pay check,
    Good day care I hear!!

Cons

Integrity and ethics are no longer a part of this companies value. The President is a joke, no sense of pride or ethics. Fires employees if they don't agree with him or they don't cover up his mistakes. Owner was a great guy, full of morals and lots of respect for his employees, that has gone out the window since he made the transfer of Presidency.

My advice to the Owner, wake up before everything you built is gone. You put to much power into one man, one man that is bent on destroying you. You were a man of respect and dignity, now your just... Advice to President, Good Job, you found a sucker!!

A Complete Mess of Management! Do Not Waste Your Time and Energy on This Place!

Current Employee - Less Than A Year of Course, That IS Everyone!
    Current Employee - Less Than A Year of Course, That IS Everyone!

I have been working at James Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid on time, that is about it.

Cons

You are very disposable and undervalued if you become an employee here. Almost on a weekly basis someone is either being fired, forced into retirement or let go, thus the atmosphere is very dismal, unstable and depressing. For the current main rater , who has been in several different positions prior was also almost let go, but moved into his current roll. Be ware though for the fake employees here who seem nice, but sell you out for anything. Some of the people I worked with were great, but about 90% of them aren't even there anymore. You should run far away from this company or if you end up working here you may become a scapegoat for their poor management decisions.

Close the company down until you know how to manage it properly! Most employees that are still there, will tell you that no one lasts a year and that you are lucky if you are there for 4-6 months! They hire interns so they can pay them lower than the regular employees and then fire, let go or force the existing employees who make a honest wage for their position to retire! They have let go of all the original employees the built the company. Most would wonder if the owner is being **** *****, since he clearly doesn't care about the current state and the demise his company is going through under the presidents horrible management.

Expectations weren’t set from this confusing sugar-coated experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at James Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

James Publishing has been around for a nearly 30 years (so in that end) it is a well established company. Their digital marketing side, however, is new - you could even call it a “start-up”. There are many learning opportunities because the staff is so resourceful and are an amazing set of funny and young individuals.

The owner is a kind man who loves to keep morale up by playing little games during weekly meetings. Everyone has their own office, which is a rare commodity at other work places. There is no micromanaging and you’re just expected to get the work done.

The pay is decent depending on your role and the work/life balance exists as long as you put your 9 hours a day in (this includes lunch breaks).

Cons

The benefits package is horrible, if you have dependents, you’re better off putting them on a government funded health program (seriously).

I hate to say it but this place seems to be a revolving door. If I had to put an average of the turn over rate, from what I witness it was about 1 employee per week (3-4 per month). I thought it would have changed after my departure, but the trend still continues.

There are communication variances that cause the wrong message to be conveyed to several employees. Some of the higher executive leveled individuals are skillful in their trade but lack the experience in management. There needs to be a form of transparency with everything that is said instead of “Yeah, I appreciate you doing that” versus what they really mean “Yeah, thats’ not what I was looking for, A, B, and C is what’s wrong with it, FIX IT and you can try this next time”.

I highly suggest that the President gets his own personal assistant instead on relying on the Marketing Director for help. You must constantly bombard him reminders to get something you need from him specifically (hence personal assistant would be a great solution).

Be bluntly honest with employees in a professional manner, don't’ give them the sugar coat version of anything - that is misleading and unfair.

Have an appropriate solution to performance fixes. Most work places have performance evaluations and write out how an individual could improve and be clear of the consequences if these expectations aren’t met.

INVEST INVEST INVEST, it truly takes several months (average 6 months) to see ROI on an individual or a plan. Just because you see the finish line, doesn’t mean that you have to run straight there, look at your team, invest in what they’re talented in. Just because they don’t provide the solution you had envisioned immediately doesn’t mean you should outsource the solution (I mean you could, if you’re a lousy manager)