Jameson Publishing Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
1.9
Jim Roddy

1. Love working for this company after 10 years. They have a great team!

Current Employee - Sales Management
    Current Employee - Sales Management

I have been working at Jameson Publishing

Pros

Great People! From the owners on down, you will not find a better group of people to work with. Some previous employees really complained about the way they were treated here. I knew those people...they complain about everything! Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Publishing world changes fast and company stayed in some markets too long.

Continue with your success in new markets, and keep moving forward.

2. Another tenured employee leaves the company for a more professional environment

Current Employee - Sales in Erie, PA

I have been working at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have long past...I am looking now since my coworker of many years just showed me that there is life outside of this has been employer. The talk around the office is their is an exodus coming.

Cons

Being at this organization for 10 years you would think they would treat me in a mature and professional way. They don't in fact I don't know how to make a decision anymore. I feel like a prisoner or a prostitute, not sure which one.

None since they refuse to listen.

Micro Management Overkill

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Erie, PA

I worked at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits including paid holidays and vacation time. Sales team is very knowledgeable of their products and willing to help out others.

Cons

Company changes their compensation more often than I change my underwear. Each year was a roller coaster ride , because the company cannot effectively manage revenues. Sales managers are paid 100k+ , but truly do not motivate sales reps. The sales managers are overpaid administrative assistants that process proposals , contracts and weekly paperwork. I kid you not , the ratio of sales reps to sales managers / trainer is almost even.

At one point this company had two accountants getting paid 250k+ in income ; however they were pleading with sales reps that they were not profitable !

Company cannot forecast sales revenues at all - 401k was shut off several times during my tenure , because we'd have good Q1 sales #'s , but then hire unnecessary sales reps and other employees.

The long term vision of this company is very blurry- I don't believe they have an executive in this company that truly understands online marketing. Jameson Publishing is living in 1988 , in which print magazines were the #1 media. Wake up !

Practice what you preach - the values on the wall should stand for something. President Jim Roddy told the entire company that they hadn't paid their printer for 90 days. The irony is that if a Jameson Publishing sales rep receives a payment 1 day late they do not receive their sales commission for that month. Hmmm, that doesn't sound fair.

Reduce your the # of sales managers in your organization, as well as their salaries - they are dead weight to your growth. The sales reps are your lifeline - without the knowledge of your product managers and senior sales reps you are going to sink - pay them a salary + commission which in turn will make them want to work harder for the company.

Stay out of the conference rooms and engage with your sales reps, readers and advertisers. Stop discussing why sales are down and actually go and find out what your markets think of your products.

Q: What is the definition of insanity? A: Doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome.

Current Employee - Sales in Erie, PA

I have been working at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you "kiss up" to the right managers you will be ok. Being ok means, having a average earning potential and so so benefits compared to what they use to be.

Cons

You are told many fairy tales about the pay, opportunities, benefits, etc. but they rarely pan out and then you are told that it was beyond our control. When I came on board I was told that one of the owners said that we get our return on an employee over 10 years and then it is good that they move on. I didn't believe it but if you look at there turn over in the last 5 years they "parted ways" with many tenured reps/managers/etc.

Sell the company and allow your employees to seek employment elsewhere.

RUN AWAY!!

I worked at Jameson Publishing full-time

Pros

I wish I could have some things to put here, but unfortunately there isn't much to say here. Company has gone down hill at a very rapid pace. Just RUN!

Cons

I have way to many to list here. I was a sales rep, manager and trainer. I know how the company works. Here is one example. The Pres, Jim Roddy is more interested in selling his book than he is making the company money and trying to find out why their sales keep going down hill year over year.

stop trying to control your employees lives. Your mentality reminds me of the movie with Tom Cruise called "The Firm"

My all-time worst experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Erie, PA

I worked at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent comp and normal hours.

Cons

Too many to even begin - you wouldn't believe it anyway.

Get real. Your tactics are out dated, and insulting.

A lot of good words but shallow substance

Current Employee - Sales in Erie, PA

I have been working at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Holiday, Sick and Vacation Days

Cons

Erratic management and ownership and Lack of stability

1. Instead of Jim Roddy promoting his book maybe he should focus on saving the business. Going from 100+ employees a few years ago to about 30 employees now and more "layoffs in the future" you would think he would be trying to save the business vs. trying to start a new career.
    2. Fire your managers, they are all incompetent of helping the sales reps. When they are questioned what is wrong they don't have the answers so they just blame the sales reps.
    3. Don't praise and reward managers for "getting gone" an employee. It is easy to do so, how many of the current managers have truly helped a rep.
    4. Admit to the current employees, media, etc. all of your failings and maybe you will start to earn back some public support. Otherwise you will continue to build the image of being one of the worse places to work in Erie.

Even with the bottom falling out and sales plummeting the ownership and upper management still don't see the problems.

Current Employee - Sales in Erie, PA

I have been working at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time and paid overtime

Cons

They are to busy creating systems and policies vs. listening to their employees. A standard line is most problems can be solved by dialing. This is true BUT how many times do you run into a brick wall before you say, "maybe we should listen to the people on the front lines".

Either sell the company and cut your loses now or clean house of upper management. The product is good, the service is good, you have good employees but they are being lead to their doom.

Boot camp for sales training

Former Employee - Account Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Forced to hone sales skills

Cons

Micro management is an understatement

Hire management that has adequate outside experience and trust their input. Let go of such control, what quit working shouldn't continue to be your corporate model.

Used to be a great company, now I wouldn't recommend to anyone I like

Former Employee - Account Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at Jameson Publishing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There isn't anymore pros, just cons

Cons

Benefits are all gone, micro management is the only thing you will get here. Company has rules on the walls they want their employees to follow, but they do the opposite

Follow your own rules and stop trying to control your employees lives!