Jane Street

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jane Street Managing Director Sandor Lehoczky

Sandor Lehoczky

Great company to work for.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros* Decision making is extremely academic and meritocratic. It's about what you know, not who you know, though politics did creep up from time to time.
    * Extremely small company with heaps of awesome technology. You're guaranteed to learn a lot here.
    * Most of the work that I did was extremely unique and very interesting.
    * Jane Street goes to great lengths to ensure that its staff is at least familiar with OCaml and functional programming in general. I think this is a good thing.
    * Culture is extremely lax. Office hierarchy exists in name only; everyone, including their "executive management" is extremely warm and approachable. Casual clothes policy is great.
    * The compensation is fantastic and their benefits/perks package was pretty wild. There is ALWAYS food in the office, and their gym is excellent for most of the popular training programmes out there (sports training, cardio, bodybuilding, basic powerlifting, etc).

Cons* Resourcing problems were pretty evident.
    * Interview process was, in my opinion, too selective for certain roles.
    * No true career paths for those looking to get into management, as it doesn't exist there in the same form as it exists in other places.
    * Vacation policy is surprisingly light given the rest of their benefits.
    * Leaving for lunch seemed to be universally frowned upon.
    * No opportunities to work from home given the nature and structure of the business.
    * Lots of unproductive conversations about the smartest/most clever way of doing things, which made many meetings run unnecessarily long and introduced many "side projects" that slowed work in other, more key areas down.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep putting your people first; everything else will follow.

Good learning experience

Trader Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosvery competent employees, good environment for developing traders.

Conspeople are disinterested in anything other than trading

It was pretty awesome. I was paid well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people. Really great work atmosphere. Everyone was really warm. Lots of money. You know the usual for the best quantitative prop shop.

ConsSome people are too bossy. Really stressful. Interview process is demeaning. But i still really enjoyed working at Jane Street. The opportunity was amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work in finance industry

Pros- Smart, nice people
    - Great culture and significantly less bureaucracy compared to other firms I have worked for
    - Growing company where you are given the opportunity to take on responsibility early on
    - Firm is willing to explore new ideas

Cons- Respectful but honest culture intellectually takes a little getting used to

It is a fantastic experience, one filled with learning and passion.

Quant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFor one, you learn how to really work as a team and create bonds that are extremely strong. In addition, it's a place where if you like to think and learn, you will really enjoy it.

ConsIt's a proprietary firm, so the amount of money that they make isn't very large. Also, all of the consequences that occur within the firm are on the firm itself.

assistant trader

Prosthe interview process is very friendly

Consneed too much mental math

A very unique company you might have never heard of, depend on what circle you're in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company culture is definitely its best feature. An amazingly humble bunch of people with great work ethics and a fair bit of quirkiness. These are the only people in the finance industry I would ever consider working with. Also, the work is interesting and the pay is really good.

ConsIt's high energy enough that some more vacation might be nice.

Very rewarding.

Programmer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun, casual environment, but very challenging.

Conssometimes can be a bit stressful

Software Development Engineering, Full Time

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsA good salary. Besides, it is a financial company emphasizing on technology. Work rotation between New York, London, Hong Kong is very good.

ConsThe only cons I can give may be that its interview is a little hard and it can provide much exposure.

Cool company with a lot of smart guys

Junior Trader (Current Employee) Central (Hong Kong)

Prosworking with a lot of smart people

ConsOcaml...working hour is a bit long in HK office

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!