Janesville School District

Overall good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Janesville School District

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the special needs kids. It was very rewarding knowing the impact I had on their lives.

Cons

When it came time for testing these kids were held to the same standards as the regular kids and that was unfair.

Must be transparent and consistent through the district.

Great at the school-level, terrible at the district level

Current Employee - Teacher in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Janesville School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the option to work in a incredible plethora of diverse schools. From massive poverty and at risk populations to upper-middle class, Janesville runs the gamut in terms of variety in school populations. I've only worked in one school, but have travelled around to quite a few and one thing always strikes me; the consistently dedicated and devoted teachers and hard-working principals.

Overall, the school I work in is wonderful. The principal, albeit overworked, is dedicated and truly wants the best for her staff. My co-workers are hard working and exceptionally devoted. Technology is also improving and I find my school to be well-equipped. I've found resources to be plentiful, all around.

Cons

I'll be quite honest in saying that while the schools are great to work in, the district-level bureaucracy is enough to dissuade me from continuing teaching in the district. In the last couple of years, I have witnessed a heavy conservative undertone in leadership. Whereas most workplaces (and schools) in the U.S. are moving towards more comfortable and casual dress policies, the Janesville school district felt it necessary to enforce a 1950's-esque dress code that left most teachers running for their rulers to measure the length of their skirts! As well, I've seen the district enforce many half-baked concepts and policies with an iron fist, leaving staff and principals scrambling to figure out what's actually going on. As well, the district is wrought with an arrogance that is, frankly, unbearable. I've worked in many progressive schools, but apparently the school district of Janesville thinks it's leading the pack in education leadership and concepts. Enough so, that they find it necessary to re-teach new hires from out of district, their way of teaching, in their unbearable 2 (sometimes 3) day long professional developments, led by district higher-ups. I found them to be an amazing waste of time and bordering on offensive to even subject a master's prepared teacher to! On the opposite side of the spectrum, in my two years, I've never seen anyone from the district visit, much less enter a classroom at my school! The cherry on top? Teachers in Janesville haven't received a cost of living raise in years, not that it matters, it's only .75% on your base wage.

Increase salaries if you want to keep quality employees around for more than a few years. Cut the bureaucracy and district shenanigans and give principals more control of their schools.

Teaching in Janesville

Current Employee - Teacher in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Janesville School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Janesville is an above average size school district with a lot of course offerings for high school teachers. Plus with 12 elementary schools there is always plenty of opportunity to transfer and find the right fit.
    Most administrators really seem to recognize that teaching is a independent profession and allow teachers to teach their way.

Cons

The city and school board tend to not support the district. The "good 'ol boy" system seems to really be in place here, especially at the high school level. Which is good if you're one of the good ol boys. But, it's really tough to break into that club. A lot of teachers and administrators have left the last few years.
    Lately it's all about the "data" with a fake seeming emphasis on the kids just to increase their scores and improve the data.

Show the teachers you value their input.