Janicki Industries Reviews

2.8
Peter Janicki

1. Review

I have been working at Janicki Industries

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment. Big company located in a beautiful small town.

Cons

Low pay. Lack industry norms.

Advice to Management

benchmark like companies.

Okay Place to Work

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time

Pros

This place will give you a lot of opportunities and responsibilities very quickly. Great place to learn how a company works on many levels.

Cons

Don't try to over-reach your boundaries unless you want to get in trouble. too much of this company is run by "kingdom" managers where you will only get help by pleasing the kings.

Advice to Management

This company needs start talking to each other at the upper levels in productive and transparent means. The company is only crippling itself by keeping the "old boys club" mentality.

3. The place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time

Pros

I really enjoy my time at Janicki! The people are welcoming and excited to come to work. The projects are interesting and I am learning constantly from my coworkers, leads, and managers. The innovation and creativity that JI encourages makes me feel like a valued employee. Plus the plants are surrounded by beautiful mountains and wildlife. If you enjoy hiking, fishing, kayaking, ect. JI is the place to be.

Cons

The drive sometimes can be tiresome, but for the most part that is the only con.

I hate my job.

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Can learn skills and gain work experience in various aspects of composite manufacturing if motivated to. 2) They gave me a decent paying job despite many character and personality flaws. 3) Always hiring. 4) Often have opportunities for overtime. 5) When I was hired I was told there was no chance I'd be working swing shift. 6) Short commute if you live in Sedro Woolley, or Lyman/Hamilton for the Hamilton plant.

Cons

1) You can only learn everything if your properly motivated and a certain type of person. 2) In order to overcome those flaws I had to get an engineering degree then take a tech job. 3) Always laying-off. 4) Often overtime is mandatory. 5) After 2 weeks I was told on a Friday to show up on Monday for swing shift, a fellow employee was told on a Tuesday that he was supposed to have been on swing shift starting the day before. 6) An hour commute for me. Additional: Training is lax, after just a couple days you're expected to know your job well enough to do it on your own, I know guys who've been there over a year but still have no idea what they're doing and then are berated when they make mistakes. Cost cutting seems to be a priority over making a quality product. They claim to be a family company, and will arrange for you to see your family once in a while at your own expense.

Last hope the desperate

I have been working at Janicki Industries

Pros

- Ok for a temporary job. - When you need a filler job between careers, this is the place in town to keep from falling behind on your bills. - The learning curve isn't very steep. - If you're willing to wear a lot of different hats (or Tyveks in this case), you'll gets lots of pat-on-the-backs.

Cons

- Not much room for advancement within the company. - Even if you have a degree, you can still get stuck in a dead-end position. - Lots of meetings about "opportunity" when charts on the wall show dipping demand and rising costs. - Cost cutting can literally take the tools out of your hands, causing unnecessary time crunches and backups in production, which inevitably gets blamed on whoever the latest scapegoat is. - Lots of high fives in your face, and loads more talking behind your back, whether good or bad. Backstabbing is a common practice here. - Even when you're "doing well" here, it's only because you'll accept the most awful tasks that other employees walk away from because you can't afford to lose your job. - Lots of chemicals, and I've seen people get mocked for coming in with a doctor's note for rashes caused by skin irritants. PPE only does so much, even when used properly. - Your only hope of advancement is maybe becoming a CDI or a lead, which just means a couple more dollars, more hours, and lots of babysitting and paperwork.

Advice to Management

Don't encourage your employees to talk badly about one another. Choose better cost-cutting methods, and encourage productivity with more than just words. Don't offer employees lip service with your hands in their wallets, especially when you're expecting to lay a portion of your work force off in the coming weeks.

7. Ok

I have been working at Janicki Industries

Pros

Easy app process okay to work for

Cons

Dont have anything neg to say

Does being the only game in town make having a crooked dealer OK?

Former Employee - Lead Technician in Hamilton, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Technician in Hamilton, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Beginner to intermediate composite experience available in exchange for you time. - The fading fast "family run" feel. - Great core group of workers.

Cons

- Chain of command structure ending at a bottom line mentality weak link. - Short sided profit driven goals undermining good sense and wiping away the founders hard earned reputation.

Advice to Management

- Have a look at the big picture, beyond your own numbers and performance goals. - Man up, ask around to see how you are viewed by fellow workers. Being a bully is no longer an acceptable management style. - Reread "The Goal", find a way to see that value can be added beyond profit. ie; quality, craftmanship, customer service, integrity, general moral, etc. - Treat the average (Hispanic) employees with more respect (like Humans). - Put a stop to the run away "yes man" mentality. Sheep are great for wool/meat production, not so much aerospace tooling and parts production. Q: Is it healthy to have a work force so browbeat that they would all follow you over a cliff, not out of loyalty, but for fear of loosing their jobs if they point out the upcoming drop? To the founding family. This strategy has been useful thus far boosting your company quickly up the ladder of success, just make sure: 1.) You are still driving when you reach the top. 2.) Your community can sustain the abuse. 3.) Your name and quality can be used in the same sentence.

Poor culture. Watch your back.

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for starting out. If you've got a good attitude, you'll get some good training. Aerospace industry experience. Good benefits.

Cons

I've been here several months now, and have been constantly frustrated. There is company-wide attitude problem. I've been instructed often to slow down because they don't have anything to do after this or that task. Most people catch on to how to look busy while getting nothing significant done. Bosses seem to enjoy walking around catching people doing something wrong. A new hire is only trained if an experienced employee is forced to train them. There seems to be a widespread idea that training someone means you'll lose your job to them. The culture seems poisonous, and very few stick it out a long time. I've managed to get certified in things I already knew how to do (forklift, manlift, etc), but little opportunity on the horizon.

Advice to Management

Act like your employees are on your side. Take a close enough look to see who actually wants to be there, and wants to do good work. Give opportunities to those that show they want it. Simple enough, right?

All hat and no cowboy

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sedro-Woolley, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck, at least for a little while.

Cons

By far the worst place I have ever worked. This company likes to hire engineers try them out and fire them at the drop of hat. Also it doesn't help that the company goes through huge work shortages, think tons of work, no work than layoffs. That is the norm at this company. Who gets laid off? all the new people they brought in to fill in for the last group of suckers that got laid off. Tenured employees hate the new people because they view them as competition. There is no teamwork or collaboration at this place its every man for himself. I have seen more comradery at taco bell.

Advice to Management

If your to talk the talk might as well walk the walk. There is a lot of talk at Janicki about respect towards employees and creating decent work environment. Ironically it felt more like a concentration camp when I was there.

11. Great place to start

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time

Pros

Great place to begin in aerospace. A place to grow in experience and a launching pad for any career.

Cons

Not much. This really is a great place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed