Janrain Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
3.5
Larry Drebes

1. The bar is high and getting higher! Amazing work environment and very smart people!

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain

Pros

-Strong focus on testing and vetting out our solutions before they go into the hands of users
    -Engineering takes a lot of pride in their work and sets the quality bar very high
    -Developers, Testers, Product Managers, Ops and other project team members work very closely and communicate often
    -Flexible schedule!!
    -A lot of autonomy to get implementation done the way we see fit with the ability to still meet our acceptance criteria
    -The location is awesome and we get to enjoy frequent team lunches and happy hours at a variety of the great food locations nearby
    -MAX transportation passes provided
    -Rooftop view is amazing
    -Lots of opportunity to pick up new skills and put your current skills to the test. This is a great place for growth and getting out of your comfort zone if you truly want to!

Cons

-I wish I lived closer! Luckily I get a MAX pass from Janrain and live right off the MAX. Plus the MAX time gives me a chance to read or snooze an extra 30 minutes. Not really a con.

Advice to Management

-Keep listening to the engineers and incorporating their feedback
    -Continue to keep meetings to a minimum
    -Continue to sponsor events and send people to events that are important to their career

2. The WebVan of Portland...

I worked at Janrain

Pros

Interesting market segment. Good people at heart and CEO, Larry, is clearly a bright guy. The people try very hard to put their best in to it. Great location and rooftop.

Cons

Management is atrocious. A president that is really a CFO, not a president. Product management that is pulled in 5 directions based on the deal of the week. Engineering is driven, but directionless and no one has the gumption to stand up and say "this is our strategy, this is what we are doing". Unfortunately, sales process is broken and causes major issues. Management is moved from department to department regardless of competency or ability to lead. Title changes are used in place of raises with empty promises of "oh, at the mid-year we will give you that raise" or "Once sales are course-corrected, I will get you that raise." Empty management promises

Advice to Management

Put managers that know what they are actually doing in place. Most of them don't know what they are doing. But this comes from top down, the President doesn't know how to run a business outside of QuickBooks. Need to create real development opportunities for talent.

Dysfunctional Management Team Causing High Turnover

I have been working at Janrain

Pros

Great Coworkers - Most people are fun to work with
    Great Office Location

Cons

Cannot retain talents (very high turnover rate)
    Management lacks experience
    Low morale among employees
    Relatively low financial compensation

Advice to Management

Value your employees so employees will be loyal and knowledge can actually be retained in the company.

5. Great job at promising company.

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain

Pros

Smart people, doing good things, and growing revenue. People are generally very friendly, work hard and treat each other with respect.

Cons

Upper management sometimes pushes unrealistic time frames, that can only be met by cutting corners.

Advice to Management

build a culture of taking the extra *time* to do things without cutting corners.

6. Great culture, solid mgt in place - innovating the product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Good leadership team in place
    - Innovating quickly with new capability to meet and lead the market
    - compensation for customer facing roles, especially sales is better than market average

Cons

- It's a tough category - still in development so it's an evangelical education process for customers, lots of consulting
    - Complex solution to integrate within customer infrastructure

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing - keep culture a priority, hire the best talent, and win big brands

A good Portland startup with smart people & a competitive product

I worked at Janrain full-time

Pros

Good people with good intentions, no bad apples. Startup culture without someone watching your calendar or when you come/go. Get your work done and no one complains. Invest in training employees. Food (fresh fruit/snacks/cereal) available to all in breakrooms.

Cons

Turnover, we got picked apart by other companies in town who could pay more for good/smart talent. New sales mgt is changing that side's culture with eye to efficiency but also much more watchful. Slow to react to market changes and overlooking the competition.

Advice to Management

Slow to react to market changes and overlooking the competition can be a fatal flaw. Marketing must improve if they are to compete. Website isn't user friendly, get outside input to tailor it and provide content to make sales easier.

Sales is an Absolute Disaster

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Janrain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great location
    technology is ok at best
    love the coffee

Cons

past and current sales management is a complete mess
    micromanaging
    they offer nothing and want everything
    if you are thinking about this place don't waste your time
    if you are desperate for a pay check and want something for only temporary still do not waste your time

Advice to Management

You don't belong in sales

Dysfunctional management and multiple layoffs continue to cause excessive turnover

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Though it used to be better, the culture is decent. The company provides some fresh fruit, snacks, and allows alcohol in the office.

Cons

Coffee was recently downgraded to low quality beans to cut a few thousand dollars from the books; management repeatedly makes promises that are never fulfilled; projects and teams change often; a large number of employees leave every month and the company is mostly unable to attract new talent.

Advice to Management

Create a master plan for engineering products and stick with it, try not to have a condescending attitude towards employees, and clean up the broken product management processes.

Driven team

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Janrain has a driven, pragmatic engineering team. It's a great place to work with few rules and interesting problems. Great culture.

Cons

Tend to hire more Junior developers; doesn't pay market rates. Company grew very fast. Trying to be a SASS company, but really a marketing or service one.

Advice to Management

Be a steward to the culture; focus on solving the strategic problems. Hire better.

Interesting place not afraid to get into new technology

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work downtown with a bright, motivated team into modern, functional languages

Cons

Some turbulence in personal can leave project direction up in the air / shifting.

Advice to Management

I like when employees have the freedom to take initiative in improving the product.