Janssen Research & Development

CEO

1. Good company for scientific growth

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Janssen Research & Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enough autonomy as a manager to be effective.
    Growth opportunities as a scientist - ability to participate in conferences/meetings and collaborate internally and externally.
    Good compensation and benefits package.
    Company culture

Cons

Very hierarchical - managers 2 layers up don't understand your contributions.
    Company "Credo" interpretations change as senior leadership changes.
    Performance rating and promotion process inconsistent from team to team despite policies in place.

Definitely a myriad of managing and communication streams

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fundamentally a good company. Financially and strategically responsible.

Cons

Could be more scientific emphasis on development. Our culture too is a bit oppressive.

Advice to Management

Management in our group should back us up more in the face of bully managers.

3. Company Values and Credo sound amazing, but lower and middle management don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Former Employee - Senior Biotechnician in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Biotechnician in Radnor, PA

I worked at Janssen Research & Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The health benefits are good, possibly a bit expensive but coverage is great. Accruing time off as you stay for more years is really a big plus. The research always brings something new and exciting - if you get the chance to actually do the research.
    There are some very amazing, smart, kind and helpful people that have inspired me during my time there.
    One of my favorite times of year would be the holidays; everyone would donate items and cash to different charities every year, and it was always a blast.

Cons

Salaries did not increase well. One of my coworkers was on food stamps and medicaid.
    Direct (lower) management is given a free pass, if you will, to do what they want. Therefore, some groups enjoy their time at work, while other groups are treated poorly.
    I will never forget the day when we were asked to "volunteer" to help paint the facility during upgrades. Those who didn't "volunteer" were all pulled into a room and screamed at by lower management. Their job descriptions were printed out with sections highlighted regarding "doing any other assigned task" and "working as a team" being required parts of the job. The non-volunteers took it to middle management, and it was swept straight under the rug. They weren't even given an apology.
    I remember the day they brought in a time clock - just for the group of us which was less than 10 employees. It was demeaning, punching in and out every day while everyone else just went about their work.
    In our small group, getting a promotion caused envy from immediate coworkers. Their assumption that management was picking favorites actually is true. If you are not seen hanging out with the "right people," or if you don't "suck up," management would be calling you into the office for a talking to. Then, if co workers complained due to jealousy, anything they say about you is assumed as truth - and you would be going to HR. The culture was terrible in our small group of Laboratory Animal Techs; the manager trusted none of us, and therefore no one could trust her or anyone else. Everyone was cagey and careful about how they spoke while the manager was around, every time that someone attempted humor or tried to add a bit of fun to the day, people would be called into the office. Again. There was no such thing as "work/life balance" and our group wasn't allowed by management to participate in many company rewards, including summer hours. Morale was extremely poor and many of the group spoke about wanting out, but stayed because they needed the money. A few were lucky enough to be able to take a salary cut in order to go work in a more normal, rewarding environment.
    However, after going through a re-organization, our group finally seemed to be treated as an actual part of the company and we all had new managers that cared about our advice, input and morale.

Advice to Management

When management makes mistakes, it is fine because it is human nature. However, please own up to them the same way that you expect your employees to do.
    Please, take a closer look at what mid and lower management is doing and how they are treating their employees.
    Please make sure that the mistakes that I outlined above can no longer happen at Janssen.

5. Co-op

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development as an intern

Pros

Best internship experience so far.

Cons

High potential and high performing co-ops should be a chance to be full time employees. I think there is a high turnover rate because they have a lot of entry level jobs.

Advice to Management

Opportunities for full time employment. Co-ops are just seen as temporary employees

6. Brown nose

I worked at Janssen Research & Development

Pros

Nothing to mention, very disappointing in the caliber of people there

Cons

run by brown noses who are not interested in bringing best therapeutics to the world; too much copycat and not enough innovation or cutting edge drug development

Advice to Management

clean house on upper management

Interesting environment

Current Employee - Medical Safety Officer
    Current Employee - Medical Safety Officer

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers for the most part. Interesting products and great pipeline.

Cons

It's a large company with a lot of politics, and you receive lots of emergency requests from senior management that have to be turned around quickly (weekends, holidays, vacations don't matter).

Advice to Management

You need to be more aware of the hard work being done every day, limit superfluous work, and stop those "emergency" requests.

8. Very Good Work Environment

Current Contractor - Contract and Procurement Manager
    Current Contractor - Contract and Procurement Manager

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very productive but very low negative stress

Cons

I am just a contractor along with many other contractors, so they need to hire people as oppossed jumping from contractor to contractor

Advice to Management

Consider hiring the contractors who perform and produce well.

9. Poor Management, old management hiring buddies as contractors does JNJ no good

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals IT Architect in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals IT Architect in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

high salary
    work life balance
    great bonuses

Cons

IT leadership bounces from pharma company to company in NJ, this is no different. Poor leadership, cronies get hired as consultants and do no work. Extremely poor technical skills within upper management leads to sub optimal results.

Advice to Management

Stuart Mcguigan, get rid of your Pharma CIO and her cronies and concentrate on building a team of professionals with strong technical skills. otherwise, execution will be hampered where these "leaders" hire their own and simply do not have the technical skills to lead the company our of IT failure and to meaningful innovation. without this there is no accountability and your so called corporate ethics are meaningless

10. Janssen is J&J a solid company but leadership remains more concerned about looking good...

Current Employee - Director Regulatory Affairs
    Current Employee - Director Regulatory Affairs

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development full-time

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, opportunity to explore other careers within J&J or Janssen. Solid stock prices. Stand-out opportunities if you are in EU, not so in US. Keep your head down, say yes (do not challenge for excellence), and deliver on time.

Cons

Leadership compentencies no longer require people development skills nor emotional intelligence - Focus has evolved to knowing how to keep your job even at the cost of others; More work with less resources despite promises to become efficient; Reg Affairs is risk averse with few willing to stand-out for change leadership; Role is limited to being safe and following check-list given by supervisors; true talent development depends on supervisor willing to support team instead of representing team.

Advice to Management

Less is more - including number and layer of leadership roles. Mean what you say and ensure your actions reflect this. Leadership can bring out the best in others or just have others make sure they don't look bad...

11. Intern

I have been working at Janssen Research & Development

Pros

Great Place to work. Flexible timings.

Cons

None that I can think of except for the fact that I had to travel at different sites every week.