Janus Capital

Be The First To
Add Photos

Janus Capital CEO and Director Richard M. (Dick) Weil

Richard M. (Dick) Weil

Pros
  • Great benefits, good location, salary is fair, nice extra employee perks i(in 9 reviews)

• Multiple locations to choose from, not just Cherry Creek(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a culture of gossip, fear and intimidation embraced and perpetuated by management(in 3 reviews)

You'll get paid well, but will it be worth it?

(Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsStrong investment performance and process
    Lots of resources
    Good benefits

ConsHighly political work environment
    Poor leadership in the C-suite
    Lots of interdepartmental infighting
    High employee turnover for several years
    Competitive as opposed to cooperative environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job than Gary Black did.
    Get departments to work together as one unit instead of working against each other.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLocation, location, location...if you like winter sports, you can't beat the location. Additionally, the cost of living is low compared to other financial hubs on the east and west coasts. Great benefits for families.

ConsThis company, like so many others, has an internal political structure. You have to play the game to get ahead, which might mean sacrificing family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude your employee's family in the work-family framework. Build opportunities for families and networking between families. Happy families make happy, and loyal, employees.

Great Company

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat benefits, good people, great location.

ConsWas very difficult when company was going through layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementRead employee feedback

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just say "no".

Portfolio Accountant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat benefits. Great culture. The company always does fun little outings and games for team building that are actually fun! They don't block internet usage. Some people are on facebook all day long. (that might be considered a con??)

ConsWay too many meetings. This is probably true of most corporations, but I swear, we have have five meetings about the SAME EXACT THING. First, with most of the company, then with a few departments, then with just your department, then your boss will probably schedule a "1 on 1" and discuss it again!! Holy smokes. I know they have to make sure the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted, but son of a gun!

Advice to Senior ManagementLess redundancy with the meetings please!

Liked working there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood benefits and decent salary but things started going down in the last few years due to the market conditions.

ConsReduced bonus payouts, increased medical premiums and kept the RIF's (Layoff's) low key (by doing them small but more frequently) to stay out of the headlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who you promote to senior management, some of the decisions that were made seem to have discouraged the lower levels.

Janus lives up to 2 face mythology

ProsPay is pretty good.
    Smart people and work can be intresting

ConsHistory of side deals
    Opportunity hard to come by
    Frequently dishonest management, superiors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting treating people honestly and respectfully all the way through the company. stop cutting side deals and airing the company's laundry in public.

Janus Employee offers feedback

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsExcellent mutual fund products. The ability to work for a firm that has competitve growth,value and fixed income products. Strong Senior Management and solid benefits

ConsConstantly changing structure.
    Unclear career path.
    Unclear planning from departments.
    Micromanaging employees
    Restrictive Metrics
    Disparities between distribution and Product Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company has merged from Retail to advisory and institutions, it should make a point in being straightforward on the future prospects of those individuals that remain on the retail side.

Janus cares about its employees.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsJanus really does put an effort in assuring employees have a healthy work/life balance. They have a generous bonus program and great benefits. One of the really bright spots for me was the opportunity to advance I was given by my manager and the VP of my department. I had every opportunity to turn my job at Janus into a career. The company cared about my personal life and allowed me to put my family first.

ConsNot all departments respect the Janus corporate stance on work/life balance. Many long-standing members of the company are completely disinterested by new ideas or thoughts on new ways of doing things. I was very frustrated by the old-guard who didn't understand how to properly use the internet to their advantage. Working on internet projects for Janus was like going back in time. And no one there seemed to understand why their internet strategy was failing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the department silos. Force communication between departments so one hand knows what the other hand is doing. Stop doing it the way it's always been done and start trying new methods. Listen to the people you hire.

overall a great company focused on driving long term returns for fund holders.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosjanus is very focused on drivei mutual fund shareholder value and returns. this focus drives every decision in the firm

Consbeing exposed to the financial markets drives decisions that might otherwise not be made in terms of the structure of the firm and the cyclical nature of the business

Advice to Senior Managementsenior management should always make good long term decisions while keeping the short term in view as well, while communicating the vision of the firm frequently.

Used to be a great company, now it's all spin and no substance.

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsJanus Capital is known for overpaying its employees, especially in the Denver area. Because of all the instability in top management, the company overpays its employees so more don't leave.

ConsSenior management is really weak, don't really have a long-term plan and there is no leadership at the firm. Most of the talented folk left either a long time ago or in the last few years and the top management left gets no respect within the firm. The culture pits employee versus employee and department versus department. Used to be a good place to work that you could recommend, not anymore.

They say all the right things publicly, but no one who has been there for very long really believes it internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should leave and get new management.

Worked for Janus Capital? Contribute to the Community!