Japs-Olson

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Beddor

High stress, fast paced environment that demands extra hours.

Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsTechnical skill set development. Sophisticated printing equipment and electronics requires you to quickly acquire knowledge and troubleshooting skills.

ConsHigh pressure, extremely loud, no career growth potential, not recognized as beneficial to the company. Maintenance is seen as a waste of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that not all personnel are wasting time being unproductive. Give promotions to those that deserve it not only individuals that have put in several years going through the motions. Encourage employees to attempt to achieve a work life balance. Compensate the talented/skilled employees appropriately.

Technically good at the same time being dysfunctional

(Former Employee)

ProsThe company structure is very lateral, which forces everyone to interact with each department and that provides great experience. When I worked there I learned a lot. They invest in equipment. Well equipped to handle large jobs that need tight turn times.

ConsThe family owners. When I worked there I was amazed at how family personal jobs would take precedence over a paying customer's work. On top of that, they seemed to view their employees as the enemy or a necessary evil. They treated their employees as if they did them a favor by giving them a job and expected 24/7 availability even though they were only paying for 40 hours (I was a salaried employee and wasn't a department manager or supervisor). They didn't have a lunch room when I was there, which meant that you either ate at your desk or had to leave the building (leaving the building wasn't always possible if you're busy as they still expected you to be available). They also only gave 5 days of vacation to a first year employee and you had to work the entire year before you use your vacation days unless you had a written agreement to the contrary. That's basically what every employee needs before agreeing to work for them is to have everything in writing as they can and have changed their verbal agreements with their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery difficult to give advice to people that don't want to listen to what their employees or former employees have to say... so what's the point!!

Overtime!

Warehouse (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThere is always work, so there is a lot of stability for the company. You will always be guaranteed a pay check at the end of the week

ConsCannot have a life outside of work. You will have no idea of how many hours you will be working each day. At the drop of a hat, you will be on 12 hour shifts and have to work weekends too. You will live there during the busy season, 80 hours + per week. And don't forget, there are no lunch breaks! You are there for 12 hours and are expected to be working for 12 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees with a little respect. They make your business succeed or fail.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to maybe start out at, but not to build a career around

Prepress Technician (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThe money pay was was good, and lots of overtime available when they were busy. You didn't need to worry about being laid off when they were slow - they seemed to have enough resources to ride out the bad times and still keep you on. If you were at least competent in your job you had job security there. No problems with getting time off when you needed it for personal reasons.

ConsManagement liked to play "hardball" with employees. Low morale and little or no respect shown to people for their talents or abilities. No real credit given for any of it. Many people stayed just for the money. Outside of the money little was done to benefit employees. For such a large company they had poor benefits. I read that they actually have an HR dept there now but they did not while I worked there. More resembled a company out of the 1940s or 1950s in the way it was run, right down to the retro-looking uniforms you were required to wear. I actually haven't worked there in a while but when I did they rotated shifts every several weeks so you couldn't plan anything or do anything like go to school while working. "Front-line" shift leaders were not fully supported by upper management - better to be a peon and skip the extra headaches of being in charge of someone else. Little or no real upward mobility. The position you start at will probably be where you will be working 20 years from now if you stay there. Lots of backbiting and employees turning on each other because they cannot realistically bring problems or grievances to management, so they lash out at each other. Might be a good place to start if you are just breaking into the industry but when you get a few years experience under your belt then leave and don't look back. Network with people outside of the company because inside contacts won't do you any good.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to empower your employees, provide them with better bennies, do more to encourage them to stay and make a career out of working there. Recognize and acknowledge talent and industry when you see it and don't buy into the backbiting that people do there to tear one another down deliberately in your eyes. Be more aware of the employee culture of your company and find ways to fix it and improve it. Yes people will tolerate a lot in the name of money, but eventually they will move on even if the money is good.

Not my cup of tea

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hopkins, MN

ProsIt was a good place to start out. Very lax environment.. 3rd shift in pre press no one was required to do much work. It was more like social hour.

ConsThere was a ton of favoritism. Good if you were one of the special people. They promoted someone into supervisor and she didn't know thing one about what she was doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the swing shift. Quit all the favoritism. Give people more benefits and make sure people are actually working on 3rd shift.

Japs-Olson

Material Handler (Former Employee)

ProsCan work as much overtime as you want during the busy season. Will hire just about anyone. Willing to give a lot of unpaid time off if needed.

ConsLow morale, especially during the busy season. They under-staff their departments and force them to work six and seven day weeks at twelve hours a day for more than three months straight. You don't feel important to the company. Hardly give raises and no opportunities to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly staff the departments so that people do not leave during the busy season. Give raises more often than every ten years.

Worked for Japs-Olson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Japs-Olson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Japs-Olson CEO Mike Beddor. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Japs-Olson employees.