Jared Galleria of Jewelry

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

Michael W. Barnes

Pros
  • Great benefits with full time (30 hours considered full time) (in 4 reviews)

• Great training tools and sales tools to assist in professional growth and success (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible hours , place their sales goals above your health (in 7 reviews)

• Sales, Repair Sales, Credit Card applications, Extended Service Plans, Payment Protection Plan, and Add-ons (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry

Pros

Good benefits and a base plus commission salary, so you can always make more. Very structured way to move up through the company.

Cons

Once you get into higher levels of management it becomes more of promotion based on personal relationships and not based on merits.

Pay more attention to those who are performing well when making changes and not to those who have standards that are below company expectation. It lowers morale when the squeaky wheel gets the grease when they haven't earned it.

Great Environment, Excellent Pay.

I worked at Jared Galleria of Jewelry

Pros

The starting pay is great, learning about Gemstones & Diamonds was surprisingly interesting, the company is also a growing one that treats their employees well.

Cons

The pressure to open up credit accounts, even though they can be beneficial to the guests' they are still credit accounts at the end of the day.
    The tours were a bit unnerving, sometimes customer would completely blow you you off because they just want to look at Diamonds already.

When running a store remember that the team as whole is what the difference is between a store that is ok and one that is phenomenal , please do not hold the Diamond Associates on a pedestal because we all are part of the "Jared Experience"

Broken Promises

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry

Pros

1/2 of a percent regardless of what you sell

Cons

don't see real commission unless the ENTIRE STORE hits quota

When offered the job I was told that I could expedite my sales dollars by becoming a diamontologist. I finished my coarse in 2 1/2 weeks and yet, no one works with me one on one to mold me into the Diamond Department. There is never any consistency in what management says. Diamond people are greedy and do not want to contribute to the rest of the team, but yet the Assistant Manager says "oh we need to help each other make it" and is the main one who is double dipping in sales.....and fuels mess and gossip in the store, puts other associates down about their clothes, tries their hardest to keep people limited in their positions, constantly tells everyone what they do wrong, but doesn't practice what they preach...........and they WONDER why they can't stay staffed. The District Manager is NICE.....However, he's doesn't really come out and interact when he visits the store, he just sits in the back and sends emails to HIT NUMBERS. From a Previous Job I had our District was number one is our region and it was all a reflection of our district manager, when he came in the store 50% of his day was with us, to help us to close sales, critique our sales approach to make us better, interact with us and the customers, and even jump in on sales to make them better, and then turn around and tell us how we can do better. There aren't very many district managers who do this, they forget where they come from and have their noses stuck to a screen and their ear stuck to a phone.

Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean, safe environment and the opportunity to help people find gifts for their loved ones.

Cons

The only thing that really seems to matter to this company is sales. I have never worked with so many talented individuals hurting for money. If you want to make enough money here to support yourself financially you must aim for management and work very hard, understanding that it'll be rough for awhile and there are no guarantees. You can easily make more money waiting tables at a busy restaurant. Tends to be a negative selling environment with high gossip and high expectations on a daily basis. Rewards are miniscule compared to outside opportunities.

None. I like my GM a lot but management can only offer employees so much, due to the nature of Sterling's particular retail structure. This environment is what it is and works for a reason. People will continue to choose it and stay there until they learn they should move on or want to be in management.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Salesperson
    Former Employee - Salesperson

I worked at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You receive base pay on top of commission, full benefits, and decent discounts.

Cons

If the store doesn't make its goal, you will receive below 3% commission. Base pay is low

Bullying

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work , has great benefits, good pay and many perks.

Cons

I work with three individuals that deliberately, intimidate, abuses and try to coerces. If you don't agree with them, they turn against you. They will block you from as many sales as possible. They are very mean to you when no one is around or not looking. They say horrible things about everyone that works there. We loose so many great people because of them.

I can't believe this has gone on so long. I'm sorry you don't see it. I feel I'm suffering from headaches, sleep problems and fatigue.

Decent company to work for. If you are going to work retail Jared offers better holiday hours than other stores

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy sales and have a passion for jewelry Jared offers strong training programs. Jared wants all sales associates to go through DCA diamond council of America training. Decent hourly pay, commission levels go from half a percent to 3 percent based on how well the store does.

Cons

Very competitive environment, working with people that lack professionalism, working during the holidays. Schedule makes it difficult for work life balance.

You learn a lot, always something to keep you busy.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Great selection-the store and showroom is MASSIVE compared to most jewelry stores. (One of Jared's sources of pride.)
    *Departmental structure-There are (generally) 3 departments. Diamond, Perimeter, Repair. Helps with team member specialization.
    *Great training and knowledgeable management.
    *Generally hard working staff.
    *In store Repair shop-helps make sales!
    *Incredible discount
    *Good benefits

Cons

*Incredibly high standards. The store has 5 standards of achievement for each employee to meet. They are usually based on the performance from the previous year, which can be difficult given all the factors that go into buying/selling.
    *Discouraged inter-departmental sales. For instance, with regard to diamond sales, unless you are in the Diamond department, you are discouraged from selling diamond merchandise, unless the situation warrants it. (Busy store, built better relationship with guest, etc.) This is generally a one-sided (unspoken) understanding...which means that Diamond department team members can sell anything...Diamond, Perimeter, Repair. Theoretically, this system would work if departments turned over sales appropriately, but that's a fine line to walk, given the aforementioned circumstances. It also makes achieving standards difficult. Diamond department team members have trouble with add-on percentages and repair dollars, and Perimeter department team members usually struggle with sales, credit and ESP. Repair department struggles with sales and credit. These standards are not impossible, but given the structure of sales goals, it can be challenging.
    *Huge push for credit card applications. Credit drives sales, no doubt about it. However, when we're funding the merchandise and offering our money to purchase the piece, we're assuming they can and will pay for it. This can be a pitfall for someone who walks in with a budget and gets wide-eyed when they realize they can spend much more than they allocated if they put it on credit. Not to say it doesn't work, but it can get messy.

Work to establish a more reasonable standards of achievement within departments. Diamond Department is going to get your credit and sales dollars in higher doses. Perimeter will get your add-ons and Swiss standards. Repair is going to make your ESP's and repair dollars. Understanding the strengths of the departments will help develop a more reasonable standards of achievement rubric.

Just Don't do it!

Current Employee - Jewelry Apprentice(Grunt) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Jewelry Apprentice(Grunt) in New York, NY

I have been working at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Don't see any, would not recommend working here.
    Maybe Depending on the store you will like your fellow employees but thats any job!

Cons

Poor Salary
    Unrealistic Goals
    Poor Management
    Zero Communication
    Doesn't Train Employees properly
    Wont Pay OT
    Poor POS System, i feel like i went back 20 year to use DOS
    Don't Let them fool you with an Apprentice Position to repair jewelry!

Pay you Employees you make in excess of 4 billion dollars annual yet pay your employee dirt. Train your management team and for a company that deals with people you have awful internal communication skills and an archaic POS System thats non user friendly!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Jared Galleria of Jewelry full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training tools and sales tools to assist in professional growth and success. The store appearance is very professional. Corporate gives the stores and it's sales staff all the right tools to be successful. Having jewelers on site is a huge plus for the sales staff.

Cons

One of the behaviors expected of the sales staff is to greet each customers at the front door. Most customers (including myself) do not like to be greeted at the front door, nor do they want a tour of the store and store history when all they want is to purchase a gift and leave.

The sales team is taught to "team sell", which is fine, except when the sales staff call in their favorite co-worker for every sale. Why not match the customer's personality to a sales associate who might better fit the team sale. It can be a little political amongst sales staff and management and that's really to bad.

The General Manager should always support every Manager in the store, and be professional not to have favorite staff members. It's obvious to the sales staff when treating your favorite or a less favorite sales staff differently than the rest, especially when choosing a staff member's hearsay over one of your managers.

How about coaching the sales staff of team goals. If the staff is "team selling" why not team up to help each other meet each other's goals?

The General Manager should be sure to study any corrective actions your Assistant General Manager wants to take against a staff member BEFORE the corrective action is filed with corporate. It seems to me that if such corrective action is filed against a staff member without the General Manager being present, said action should be able to be rescinded or cancelled by the General Manager. Again, this corrective action could be of political nature rather than a professional decision unless the General Manager reviews and agrees with the action.