Jason's Deli Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
187 reviews filtered by
3.1
Jason's Deli President Joe Tortorice Jr.
Joe Tortorice Jr.

Pros
  • Has a Core Values System that Looks like it can work effectively (in 11 reviews)

• A great place to work for college students (flexible scheduling) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management more concerned with their bottom line and bonuses than employee growth (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, more than most restaurant management jobs (in 11 reviews)

1. Manager

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time

Pros

Always room to move up

Cons

Short staff so sometimes you must work longer hours

2. Delivery Coordinator

I worked at Jason's Deli

Pros

Pretty easy job. A bit stressful when it got busy, but not too bad.

Cons

One manager in particular was... well, not nice. It did NOT help by adding to the stress when we got busy.

3. It's been ok, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, great pay, short hours if p/t.

Cons

Horrible coworkers which doubles/triples your work load and they're not likely to be fired. Very unprofessional. Lots of wear and tear on your car if you're a driver. Customers think delivery fee belongs to driver and it affects the tip.

Advice to Management

Fire the disrespectful and unprofessional employees and train someone who deserves it. Give a raise at least once a year.

5. Decent

Current Employee - Busser in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Busser in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are nice, and several of the managers are nice. They're all laid back for the most part, and most people that come in for food are pretty friendly. Some people leave tips. Managers are often lenient about having employees pay for food on days they're working. They also give raises (normally 25 cents) to anyone that asks if they've worked a few months since the last raise, or they may give conditions for a raise like improving on customer service or cleaning. The food is reasonably good and with employee discounts (50% off plus free drinks) it's cheap.

Cons

Occasional rude customers, can be stressful/fast paced. One or two managers are sometimes overbearingly bossy at times they shouldn't be because I get told to do several things at once. Wages are low, but just above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Remember to smile for customers, listen to your employees, don't shrug off their concerns like they're nothing, remember to give them raises and the number of hours they want, hire an extra person on the floor, and remember your employees have their limits because they're people.

6. It was a good job

I have been working at Jason's Deli

Pros

It was a good job

Cons

No cons to this job. good job

Advice to Management

Do great

I was lied to about this job, wouldn't have taken it if I was told the truth.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good Employee discount (on-the-clock). Co-workers are enjoyable; mainly because they band together against management. Food is delicious (but that's not a work place bonus, that's a customer bonus).

Cons

They claim to take your school schedule into account, but they constantly ignore your schedule, and the fact you need time to do homework, and call you in. The Customers are incredibly rude. The environment is stressful. They micromanage every aspect of the job, yet they don't train, and actually are extremely disorganized so micromanaging is practically just an act of dominance for the managers. Their version of training is to have you follow an employee for 2 days then after that training consists of you asking a million questions per day. Also, it's a bit of trial and error, with manager reprimanding. The management takes full advantage of you. In short: any company that offers a monetary reward for employees to 'recruit' their friends, is probably a bad place to work. 2-4 Managers on the clock at all times, none of them wear name tags with their titles on it, so it's hard to know who to go to. Managers on a power trip. They keep the HR book in the office where we're not allowed to go, so rampant abuse is perpetrated by both employees and managers (which where I wok includes sexual harassment).

Advice to Management

Train your employees before you let them go on their own. Have LESS managers on the clock. Pay better. Don't lie to your employees: "We're not about profit, we're about customer satisfaction." As they Charge 7 dollars for a delivery fee... drivers compensated 1.25 of that, rest goes to company. Their food is extremely overpriced. And honestly to sum it all up; stick to your word and if you say "we care about school work" then mean it. I've started to fail economics because it's the only class I've been able to spare to be able to work when called in!

8. At least the food is good

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the relationships you develop with your coworkers.

Cons

Low pay. Hard work. Long hours. Incompetent managers. Seem as if the owner/manager is only concerned with making money. No concern for employees. Limited opportunity to advance. Never enough employees working. Stressful.

Advice to Management

None

9. Great college job

I worked at Jason's Deli

Pros

Good hours and flexible managers

Cons

Coming home smelly from the food

10. Catering assistant / Shift supervisor

Current Employee - Employee in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Oak Lawn, IL

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good food and tons to learn

Cons

No room for growth with lack of help

Advice to Management

Take time to assist employees with bettering themselves.

11. An unforgettably helpful work experience.

Former Employee - Cashier in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Louisville, KY

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is delicious, the coworkers were friendly, and the environment was absolutely a "customers always came first" mentality. Managers cared about the business,

Cons

There seemed to be a high turn-over rate in employees, and the subject of raises and promotions were avoided.

Advice to Management

One challenge I ran into with the management was their inconsistency among one another. For instance, sometimes I would feel conflicted if one manager told me to not do something, but another would ask me to do that very same thing.

Jason's Deli Photos