Jason's Deli

www.jasonsdeli.com

Jason's Deli Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014

Jason's Deli President Joe Tortorice Jr.
Joe Tortorice Jr.

Pros
  • Has a Core Values System that Looks like it can work effectively (in 11 reviews)

• A great place to work for college students (flexible scheduling) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management more concerned with their bottom line and bonuses than employee growth (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, more than most restaurant management jobs (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Short and Sweet

Former Employee - Crew Member in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have very flexible scheduling and were very patient when it came to training new employees on the myriad of food options they have available.

Cons

Very difficult to obtain enough hours to receive a decent paycheck. There were often occasional large breaks in communications between the store managers resulting in much confusion for the employees.

Managers should take more time to communicate among themselves. In addition, "less is more" is not always untrue, having a couple less employees in order to ensure adequate hours for everyone would go a long way.

Great!!!

I have been working at Jason's Deli

Pros

Good Work Enviroment and good people

Cons

It's a deli, tough to have a social life

Listen to your employees, take care of them

Care about your people

Current Employee - Manager in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Food, great customer base, fast paced, hands on, opportunities to advance are based on performance. Learn the business and you will can succeed fast.

Food Safety and practices

Cons

Hours, we have just increased our average work hours to 52 and only get paid for 50. However, most of us work 60 or more. When hired, I was told the average is 48. Sick days, what are those? If you need a day off, you make the time up. We are suppose to be off on 5 Holidays. Not if that Holiday falls on the last day of the month. GM's and 1A's have to come in to do full inventory.

Underpaid manager salaries. Retention of quality managers is difficult because of the pay and hours. Shifts do not allow for a full 8 hours of sleep, and family time.

We are expected to work an AOR which is Area of Responsibility, and it fails to mention a break off your feet and eat a meal during an 11 hour shift. This job is demanding of your personal life if you want to get promoted. I am not over weight and in my 30's. The physical demands of working in this restaurant is hard on your body.

Performance is based on surveys. Unrealistic results.

Corporate Structure of Payroll and Accounting is very unorganized.

Schedule writing takes almost a whole shift from a manager. (takes them out of the store) Inefficient system in place

Employee turnover is outrageous. It goes to show we need to start getting back to our people.

Too many changes too fast. Corporate Standardization has been a nuisance. They need to understand to run their idea labor, you can't have every position filled. These Position evaluation audits leave no room for employee call outs or managers running positions because of staffing issues.

Its hard to keep a happy staff when they are only scheduled for 3 hour shifts. This is causing a high turnover in our stores. We now have a hiring needs template to update on top of the 5 other google docs we are required to update daily. Get back to your people, listen and make changes to improve employee morale.

Tasks on top of tasks is overwhelming and exhausting. Remember the days with out cell phones? Get back to the basics and quit trying to implement more clip boards and spreadsheets to manage.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Order Taker, Phones, Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Order Taker, Phones, Cashier in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful product, fun place to work, employees treated well. Discounts or free meals for employees! Worked there for two years, really enjoyed it.

Cons

Come home smelling like food, working on the salad bar not great. Can be difficult to get a pay raise. You have to buy non slip shoes.

Great starting company

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time

Pros

If you are just starting your "work life" Jason's deli would be a great first job. They have incredible hands on management and they want you to succeed. It is a great stepping stone into the career world and a great learning experience.

Cons

Challenges that I ran into were clash of employees. Jason's Deli has a family environment and all employees were very close, with closeness come conflict.

Great company

Former Employee - 2A Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - 2A Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jason's Deli (more than an year)

Pros

Family oriented, good salary for managers, great product, very strong manager training program, they are always looking to promote frrom within

Cons

hours can get long, at times during the rushes can get extremely stressful

Overall good experience and chances for promotion; frequent internal turnover of management may be an issue for some

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are diverse and like having fun on the job. There's a relaxed atmosphere and culture unless there's a rush (in the Midtown store where I worked, the only real rushes were for morning business catering or weekend Piedmont Park events). There was great opportunity for upward mobility: drivers, line workers, etc. could easily become managers after a couple of years, and I saw multiple cases where fellow drivers were promoted to management positions, and other employees who worked up to upper management. There was a constant buzz of promotion. A great place to work for college students (flexible scheduling).

Cons

Management stresses low labor costs so being short-staffed is a common occurrence. Due to common promotions and frequent shifting of managers from one store to another, workflow in the store was disrupted at times. Management can drastically influence pay despite long-standing agreements between employees and management.

Closing Manager

Current Employee - Closing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Closing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jason's Deli full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, I felt valued and appreciated

Cons

Nothing to report that is negative.

Keep it up

Jason's Deli - great food but company culture is old school.

I worked at Jason's Deli part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The food is great! Everybody loves the salads, soups and sandwiches. The salad bar is an awesome deal, especially if you order the Managers Special.

Cons

The management style is old school and autocratic. There is little opportunity for growth as an employee or manager. The company seems to be mired with good ole boys that are not open minded nor open to using the creativity or experience of their people. It is rather obnoxious.

This is a family owned company that is run like a single mom and pop location from a personnel standpoint. The company does not truly care about it's people. Loyalty is one sided and work is all about what can be done for the company for slave labor rates of pay and no opportunity for growth.

Catering Assistant

Current Employee - Catering
    Current Employee - Catering

I have been working at Jason's Deli part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and fast-paced work environment. Made some great friends and they do all they can to make it seem like a family.

Cons

High employee turnover and nothing is done about making it better.

Jason's Deli Photos